Round 2 Pick 51 The Chicago Bears Select DT Ego Ferguson

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 9, 2014.

1. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    For sure she's not a big mouth.:002:
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,571 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    790ß
    Easy Kyle... Don't break Tuckers new toys.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    364ß
    Passed on Nix and got Sutten for Egon to partner with.
  4. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    I for one am a little skeptical of these DTs and where they were picked. I do trust Emery though. And I'd much rather draft guys with high ceilings and pay them than draft highly-touted-turds that you just know aren't going to pan out.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    both these guys have bust ratios to them, Ego is very raw, and Sutton is overweight and might have some other issues. but IF they can mold EGO and get Sutton's weight down then both are steals
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,617ß
    Not a fan of this pick at all. He's a pure NT right now which means Ratliff may be playing DT. I know Paea is in a contract year and Ratliff is 32 years old but there are NTs like this guy in every draft. He's not special enough to be a second round pick and IMHO not an immediate starter. I hate the term "reach" so I'll just say I wish we hadn't drafted him. The best player on the board at that point may well have been Garoppolo and as crazy as it may sound he'd have been a better pick.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    Well if Soul says we shouldn't have taken him its nearly a guarantee it was dead on the right call.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    It looks like Emery seeks players that he believes have the potential to be very solid, even though they have flaws now. He's a gambler for sure. Both DTs taken today could have high ceilings, potentially higher than the sexy picks everyone was talking about. Kyle Long was the "poster boy" for this kind of pick by Emery. Ego for sure reminds me of the Long pick. Sutton could be one of these guys too - or not. We'll just have to wait and see. I'll say one thing. Emery fooled me on every pick so far. But he did that with Kyle Long last year too......and that turned out well. Hope these three guys picked so far in this draft, turn out well too.
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Well as a NT I think he'll be fine out of the box on running downs. We don't have Rod but I'm sure he can be coached up and Mentored by Allen and Ratliff for pass rushing skills and more. I like the pick, Sutton-meh.
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    Seems like Ego is Long and Sutton is Jeffery.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß

This, 1000x. If you liked Long last year, there is zero reason NOT to like Ego or Sutton this year. Both fit the Long mold, Ego moreso though. IMO it's even better then the Long pick b/c it wasn't a mid 1st pick on him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    And maybe this is crazy thinking, but perhaps if Emery just hits a home run with 1 of these 2 guys it's well worth the two picks, even if one of them ends up being a disappointment. For a 2nd and 3rd round set of picks, if one of these two ends up being a rock-solid stud, then that's worth rolling the dice on them.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    if one is a single and one is a triple then both were well worth it
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,571 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    790ß
    Not the same for me. When I saw film on Long, he looked like he had all the physical tools. When you add his pedigree (not a for sure thing, but shows that the family seems to put out kids with the mental toughness to succeed in the NFL), I really thought he would be a good bet.

While both of these guys can also be real studs, I don't have the same degree of confidence. Doesn't mean they aren't like Long, just I don't think they are. (which is probably a good thing...)
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    don't know. When I watch tape on Ego, the guy is just stout, and he's not going to be asked to get after the QB which is what his one weakness is, but that's not to say he won't be able to develop into doing that. What won't happen is him getting pushed off the line, he won't be getting blown up. AP and Lacy are going to have nightmares about this DL now for years to come.

When you look at Sutton, when he's at 290ish, he's every bit the talent Donald is, and you got him in the 3rd, that is 3x's the value. I was never as high on Donald as many where, for the value i'd take Sutton all day and 10x's on Sunday.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    They are all a bit of a gamble (not Long anymore, but the DTs we took today). Most of us had a coronary when Long was picked last year. I sure was stunned. These two picks today didn't stun me like that, but I could see it's Emery rolling the dice again. Both could end up busts, or both could end up being good picks (or one could work out and one not). But it sure reminded me of the Long gamble. If nothing else, we're getting a clear picture of what we have now in Emery. I believe this is in his DNA. I don't think it is arrogance (like some claim Angelo did with weird picks). We can at least see the thinking Emery has with these guys he gambles on (like Marquess Wilson last year). There IS some logic behind the picks even if they are gambles. These are not guys who enamor the GM because they can jump out of a swimming pool.

Only time will tell if Emery can hit a high percentage with these kind of picks or not. My gut feeling is that I like what I see so far though.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    Emery wants big long athletic guys that can play multiple positions; he isn't worried about college stats as much as combine results, and if you have a family heritage in the NFL bonus points to you sir.

Fuller/Ego/Sutton all fit that mold, minus the NFL thing(other then Fuller who does have family ties to the NFL)
  18. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,617ß
    And I see it the other way around shorty. If they can keep Sutton's weight down that kid can get into the other guys backfield and do things that create impact plays. He's a "playmaker" whereas Ferguson isn't. Since we got both I guess it makes little difference as far as who out ranked who and what round they should have gone in but I wouldn't have taken Ferguson period.

I believe there were better players on the board at that spot and we simply took who Emery had as the BPA on defense at that point. This kid is the same kind of underachiever and run stuffer Tucker had for years in Jax. He'll never be a great pass rusher and anyone who compares him to Ratliff, as some scout did, is being really optimistic. I'd have rather had Tuitt or Hageman but neither fell far enough so we ended up settling for the next best thing in both of the first two rounds.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    NT's aren't asked to be pass rushers they are asked to be take up space and stop the run, the mere fact that Ego has the POTENTIAL to get after the qb already makes him an above average NT. damn need someone to sit back and hold the fort while everyone else charges in; that's the NT's job.
  20. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    At least Tucker won't have any excuses with the DL. I wonder how much say he had in getting Ego.