Round 3 Pick 82 the Chicago Bears Draft DT Will Sutton

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 9, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    That's what people said about CornWash. And he turned out to be.... well, you know.

Gonna be honest with you guys, I'm not a big fan of Sutton. His weight problem really concerns me. Isn't he also a little too short?
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  2. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Short concerns me more than weight, you can't fix height. Alshon had major flags for weight concerns too, to the point where he was a top 10 pick talk until his senior year. Sutton is reportedly already at 295, the weight he played at his junior year when he dominated. I'd be aware of the weight, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. The guy has NFL heritage and these role models are going to harp on him, couple that with working out in the NFL I think he'll be fine. He was a weight room warrior and awarded for such when he was in college, I think with an NFL training regiment he'll be just fine in the weight department. He's what.. an inch shorter than Donald? If you're clamoring for Donald (not sure if you were specifically, just making a point) then you shouldn't be raising too much hell about him. The guy was an absolute animal his junior year and was in the talk with Clowney and the rest of the best DL. Obviously he's not Clowney, but he was in the talk of those 3-5 best DL in the nation. He's Alshon 2.0.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. little bear

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    I'm not. ^^ That's also why I didn't want a DT in the first round.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I am a bit surprised that we took 2 DT on day 2. Hopefully this mean the DL is almost set for the nexy many years.
    We'll just have to wait and see but once again Emery fixed? a line for us in an off-season.
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    It's getting Donald caliber talent in round 3. As a junior he had 13 sacks and 23.5 TFL from the DT position. To me, that's extreme value for a 3rd rounder. He screams Alshon Jeffery to me. Everyone thought Jeffery was too fat and slow so he slipped and slipped and the Bears made a move to go up and grab him. Sutton fell into our lap in the 3rd.
  6. little bear

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    Our starting DL was already set before the draft, now we added useful depth. DL is done and hopefully "fixed".

Still need a linebacker, another defensive back and a backup TE.
  7. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    While it was already set I thought at least we could use another passrushing DT, and I havnt read too much about Will Sutton yet but he seems to fit that mold.

Collins/Sutton/Ego/Ratliff/Paea+Houston? Yikes.. gl running over us this year
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Going from essentially Peppers/Paea(half hurt)/Wootton/McClellin to this defensive line? Wow, what a difference one calender Emery year can make.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +173 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Agree. Going into camp, we have a much stronger DL this year verses last years OL. I hope we can exceed the turn around on offense last year. We really need it to make it into the playoffs. I am more worried about Tucker than talent at safety right now.
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    A legitimate concern. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.. we were decimated by injuries and he was essentially told run Lovie's scheme, or as close to that as you can. Maybe with his own hybrid scheme and freedom as a playcaller coupled with a healthy defense (fingers crossed) he'll be much improved in year 2 as a DC. If not we got Paul P waiting to take over. I'm cautiously optimistic and I'll give him this year to see what he really brings to the table as our DC.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +173 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I am cautiously optimistic too. Just like so many give Tucker slack due to injuries, I think Conte (and Bostic/Greene) was (were) put in a similar position. If the rest of the defense picks up their game, we won't have to rely on our S as much. There is always the post draft FA to spice up the competition at S. We are not going to pick up a starting safety in the 4th round.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Also, about CornWash. That's an unfair comparison if you ask me. CornWash was a 7th round pick who has all the physical tools but just never really produced in the game. He's the ideal kind of player you want in the 7th because after a few years of coaching, with his skillset, there's a possibility he'll be a good-great player. But you need to develop him. Sutton is someone who dominated in the college circuit his play fell off a bit his senior year due to being asked to get bigger but not going about it the right way. Apples and oranges.
  13. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Yeah definitely, when your team falls apart and the whole defense depends on guys who aren't really the caliber of holding up a defense you're going to have problems. But if the rest of the defense pulls their weight there's a possibility these guys could shine when they're not the center of attention.

I don't imagine getting a S who's going to be an immediate contributor in round 4.. but then again I didn't expect our starting right tackle to be a rookie we snagged in the 5th. Let's hope we can repeat some magic and add at least one more starting quality player.
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,099 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    There are some DT's that won't make it out of camp. I think CornWash/Collins/Paea(2 of those 3 are going to get picked up by other teams) could all be on the chopping block.
  15. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +173 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    True. Maybe Uncle Phil can pull another rabbit out of his hat.
  16. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +173 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Isn't it nice to be in this position after staring at an empty cupboard last year?
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,099 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    yep Last year you knew the D was going to be bad, and inj's only exasperated that. This year, even if a few key inj's hit, it feels like the team could absorb them....couldn't take multiple hits to pro bowl players mind you, but still it wouldn't be a complete tanking.

S is the only concern, but it won't be addressed this year. I don't think LB is either(and I'm not happy about it).
  18. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Yeah looking at our LB corps you have to be worried. Briggs is getting up there in age and I'm not sure when DJ Williams last completed a season. McC, Bostic, and Greene are all question marks. Basically they have the potential to be very good, but there's also the very real possibility they could be a hindrance to this team. I do hope Briggs pulls out a stellar season and DJ plays like he did pre-injury and goes on to play all season. If McC or Bostic (or in a perfect world both) can be competent starters then we can breath a sigh of relief until our next FA/Draft.. but none of this is guaranteed.
  19. little bear

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    Hope Paea sticks around for another year or two.
  20. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Same here, I'd love to see Paea put it all together. He's got the physical tool set and if he just stays healthy he could be a real asset to the team. Isn't he in his contract year? How perfect would that be, a breakout year from Paea along with putting this DL together.