Round 3 Pick 82 the Chicago Bears Draft DT Will Sutton

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 9, 2014.

1. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Ric, I see the Bears playing a lot of 3 CB defenses this year. Especially since Fuller can swing into a traditional safety role if needed. With the shift to a lot of 3 WR sets in the NFL this makes a lot of sense.

All three of these guys play the run well. And if the opposing offense tries to go pass crazy, you will have your three best cover guys on the field.
  2. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Jeez.....just think how well rested and fresh the the Dline will be, so much depth and potential power....now if the secondary gets energized and LB corp straightened out.....damn we could be hurting a lot of QB's bwahahaha
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    ya so far all the picks make since. There is a TON of upside to the 2nd and 3rd round guys and Fuller makes long term since, even if it was at the expense of long term security at S.

Fuller is going to be on the field as a NB and S, they'll have him out there more then just 60% of the time imo, and he's going to be there to guard 3 wr's and TE's, as well as blitz. I think you are going to see a FAR more aggressive D then the Bears fan base is used to, w/Blitzing from CB's, S's and LB's, and not just relying on the front 4 to get pressure.
    Ego is a great rotational fit for NT, and will get to learn how to play from Ratliff and a good teaching coaching staff, he might not shine this year, but something tells me he's going to be a beast from yr 2 on. The guy has speed and athletic potential of a DT, but the size of a NT, he is all ceiling and near zero basement. if all he ever does is be a stout run stuffer that holds the line he'll have filled his role, but his upside is much higher.
    Sutton is already down to his proper playing weight and I think he's going to show why he should have been picked higher. He's going to come in and imo make Collins and Izzy obsolete. This kid is for real and I have no doubt that the interior of this line is set for years to come.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    yeah... right now my big concerns are S and LB - even after all the "talent" Emery brought in last year at LB. Hopefully, they were the right guys and the coaches were the wrong guys. Part of that has already been fixed. Maybe all of it. We'll see what happens this year.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    Thats why my top four wants are 2 LBs and 2 S
  6. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I'm doing back flips here, I swear emery must be poster here! This guy will be a sleeper DROY, watch!
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    Perhaps he is. We have lurkers and some rather odd secretive posters.

Has anyone seen Soul lately? Perhaps his "I hate Emery" persona is just an act.... hmmmmm
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    It really wasn't lb. We still didn't have a true 3 tech DT to replace Melton. You can bet that if Donald hadn't gone one pick before us that Emery would have wasted no time taking him. I think the Bears felt they had him because no one saw the Rams taking a DT. THEY were the ones who were suppose to take Dix, Pryor, or Dennard.

Sutton is pretty much a clone of Donald as far as their style of play and before the 2013 season Sutton was ranked as a 1st round pick too. Then he gained 20-30lbs of bad weight, he fell and Donald shot up but the difference between the two isn't night and day. Sutton is an inch shorter but about the same weight. The Bears want him playing around 280-290lbs and he's at 290lbs now.

We couldn't get Donald and Sutton was the next best thing as far as a pure 3 tech DT. Pretty good pick for a 3rd rounder and most of the ILBs are still around in the 5th so that tells us that bunch isn't all that good.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    Hit the nail on the head there, Soul. Pretty much everyone was stunned the Rams took AD with an already stocked DL but he was BPA for sure at least on the D side. I'm quite sure Phil already had his name written down on the card as the Bears pick. Shit happens.

Sutton is a good consolation prize in the 3rd. His jr year production was even better than Donald's was and suffered after he gained weight in his sr year (just like Alshon who fell due to a disappointing last year brought on by excess weight). At 290 he was a beast 3Tech and will be again with NFL conditioning.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Benji it's never been an act and if you take the time to read ALL of my posts about Emery you'll see that I do give him credit where credit is due but also criticize when I believe that's what's deserved. I'm not an emotional poster when it comes to Phil Emery. I admire and respect him for certain things but dislike him for many others. Most humans are like that aren't they?

Like I said, so far I'm pretty neutral on this draft but some of it isn't Emery's fault. The first two rounds didn't fall as expected and I feel he was left having to take his second choices in both rounds. I can live with Fuller because for us he was the best CB in this draft and it's obvious Emery liked him better than either Safety. I've been saying all along that Dix and Pryor were over-hyped and not as good as some of the top Safeties in previous drafts. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that Donald rated better than either of them and if the Rams hadn't taken him Emery would have. Tough break because he was a perfect fit but Sutton isn't all that far behind if he's playing at his 2012 weight which by the way is similar to the 280-290lbs Donald goes.

I don't like the Ferguson pick at all. There were better players available but three DL came off the board early in two and after missing out on Hageman and Jernigan who I think he had after Donald he didn't want to get shut out so he took Ferguson. Big risk here on a real developmental player for Pasqualoni. Too big a risk for a #2 pick IMHO. Some say he's similar to Ratliff at this point in his career and yet others say he could be the next Jarron Gilbert so we'll see. But if you believe your first two picks should contribute day one then to me this kid isn't one we should have taken this high.

I do like his picks in the 4th round though and I like Sutton as a consolation prize for not getting Donald.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    For a 3rd round pick, I'd take Sutton over Donald in the 1st all day. Sutton won't have the problems w/big OL pushing him around like Donald will, and he'll hold up better over the long run.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    All it took for me was to see the look on his face when he was on the phone with Fuller. It was a mixture of shock, disappointment and anger that he never saw it coming. In the past he's stayed on the phone for a while with his first pick but this time he handed him off to Trestman pretty quickly.

I wasn't so much that he disliked Fuller as it was that he disliked having to make that call when he was so very close to getting his guy. Lovie passed on him as I knew he would because of McCoy, Minny passed, and then NY passed. Those were the only three teams anyone saw as a possibility as far as taking Donald unless someone else traded up and when that didn't happen I think you're right. Emery had the card already to be taken up and then at the very last minute it gets shot down by a blindside hit. Tough break.

But.........Suttton has been a Bears fan for a long time and wanted to come to Chicago so I can see him becoming a very effective, high motor, inside rusher. If we couldn't have Donald I'm glad we got Sutton. Ferguson I could live without.
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    It was a joke my friend.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    Soul, I don't know nearly as much about Ego as I do about Sutton since he's a local college player. I was surprised Phil didn't take Sutton in 2 nut since he got him in 3, no harm no foul.

I'm guess EF is Paea's understudy and hedge against failure. Yeah, SP has been a major disappointment to me thus far mostly because of a series of nagging injuries. He needs to put it together in his 4th season upcoming or Phil isn't going to re-sign him. We will see if Ego is a shade NT for us or not, I really don't know.

Who would you have picked at 51 instead? The S were gone. Already had a CB. Just asking, I missed most of the 2nd round.
  15. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Really? A Bears fan? Where'd you read that? That's pretty damn cool.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well then how about a big old HaHaHa so I know that. LOL

By the way I don't dislike Emery the man it's more Emery the GM I have some issues with. But he's done a decent job with this draft given the challenges he's had and he did an exceptional job in FA that few around the NFL are giving him credit for.

I get a kick out of all those who crow about the coup GB pulled of signing Pep and yet we got a younger, more productive, high motor 110% ever rush, DE to replace him plus two of the best run defending DEs in the NFL plus picking up Ratliff last year and Izzy this year. There are good DL who won't make this team.

The other thing he isn't being given enough credit for is fixing the problems with our DL and LB coaches. He actually did more to improve the defense this year then he did to improve of offense last year and yet has even added key vet depth at OC/OG and added a RB prospect in the draft today. How much different is this than all those years under JA?

I'll tell you what I'm really sick of. I'm sick of the NFL media downgrading the moves the Bears have made these past two or three years yet crowing about what the Packers have done when it's actually been very little in comparison. It's like if Ted Thompson lets a beer fart the NFL will claim that it smells just like lilacs and roses.

The Bears will never get respect until they start beating the Packers with regularity and dominating the NFCN and it's high time that happened.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    That's cool, apparently Ego is a big time Bulls fan, even before the draft. So you got a couple guys that like ChiTown sports.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Really?? That's awesome as hell. I love to hear stuff like that. Imagine how cool it would be to be a Chicago fan and get drafted by one of their teams? These guys are livin the dream in more ways than one.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    ya not sure what site I was reading but apparently if you follow Ego on twitter he has a ton of Bulls stuff on it.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Let me tell you....Collins is legit. If he stays healthy he's not going anywhere...trust me.