Round 4 Pick 131 Chicago Bears Draft SS Brock Vereen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    The Broncos traded pick 131 and 246 to the Bears for 156 and a 2015 5th

FS

Brock Vereen

Minnesota Big Ten
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Drafted By: Bears

Combine Results

Grade

5.39 ?
    • 4.47 SEC

Top Performer
    • 25 REPS

Top Performer
    • 34.0 INCH
    • 117.0 INCH
    • 6.90 SEC

Top Performer
    • 4.07 SEC

Top Performer
    Blue Star = Combine Top Performer
    • 6'0" Height
    • 30" Arm Length
    • 199LBS. Weight
    • 8 1/4" Hands
    Overview

His father, Henry, was drafted by Tampa Bay before going to the Canadian Football League, and his brother, Shane, is a running back for the New England Patriots. Brock was a defensive back-running back who also ran track as a California prep. Saw action in nine games as a true freshman in 2010, making four starts at cornerback, and managed 10 tackles, no pass breakups and no interceptions. Started all 12 games at CB in 2011 and posted 67 tackles, seven pass breakups and one interception with 3.5 tackles for loss and one forced fumble. Was limited during ’12 spring practice with a torn meniscus and was converted to a safety. Began the ’12 season as a backup safety before starting seven of the final eight contests, registered 64-9-2 with 1 1/2 tackles for loss and one-half sack in 13 games. Logged 59-6-1 with 2 1/2 tackles for loss and one forced fumble. Started all 13 games — the first six games at safety and the last seven at cornerback.
    Analysis

Strengths

Very good athlete with fluid movement skills and good range. Competes hard. Runs the alley and can negotiate traffic. Good zone awareness and route recognition. Understands angles and leverage. Can carry receivers in man coverage with little wasted movement in transition on speed turns. Good leaping ability. Very smart, motivated, team player with a passion for the game. Can line up the defense. Outstanding work ethic. Contributes as a gunner on special teams. Has NFL pedigree. His 25 bench-press reps were most among DBs at the combine, and his 4.07-second short shuttle was second among safeties.
    Weaknesses

Has tiny hands, short arms and lacks overall bulk. Does not have ideal length to match up with NFL tight ends in coverage. Not an explosive hitter or forceful tackler. Hands are suspect -- smothers the ball and has just four career interceptions. Long-term durability could be a concern.
    Draft Projection

Rounds 3-4
    Bottom Line

Intelligent, athletic, rangy free safety with desirable strength and cover skills to go along with football bloodlines. Needs to improve against the run but is instinctive and brings terrific intangibles that could propel him into a role as a starter and defensive leader.
  2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Vereen is pretty much as good as we were going to get this late without a conversion project. Love his coverage skills and range, not in love with his tackling, angles and power, but he can bulk up and work on that - his athleticism can't be taught. Nice guy to develop at FS and could very well provide immediate competition.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree Sox. A very versatile guy that can play corner or safety as well as STs. A good player with good speed & range.
  4. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If what they say is true that he is very smart, motivated, team player with a passion for the game, then perfect pick. Like Emery said, the safety positions are wide open. Best man win. I like that his brother is in the NFL as well.

I like that Emery is drafting both athletes, and tough football players. Besides Fuller, all the other draftees seem pissed off and ready to prove themselves with a chip on their shoulders.

Hell, we drafted both the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year. Not bad, Phil.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I'm loving the character of the guys we're bringing in. Kyle Long has a hell of a personality and has become an instant fan favorite for example.

This draft was full of them. Kyle Fuller is reportedly a student of the game and works his tail off. Ego left to help his Mom and is committed to getting better. Sutton is down to the weight we'd want and here to perfect his craft. Don't know much about Carey but now apparently Vereen is a leader and someone who will do all he can to get better and improve. These are the people you want making up your locker room.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    227ß
    nice pick didnt think theyd do it
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +451 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    Since our safeties are the weakest link any competition is good. Hope he wins because that would mean improvement. Doubt he starts though.
  8. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Good pickup, his weaknesses can be improved with proper coaching but his strengths has major upside and I believe he can earn a starting spot this season.

Competition will definitely be fierce in training camp and pre-season, i wouldn't be surprised to see Vereen starting opposite Conte (that's if conte wins a starting spot).
  9. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    For what it's worth....

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay, who has Vereen going in the third round, called the sleeper University of Minnesota product “one of the most underrated players in the draft.”
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,405 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    Smart move here to make a trade to get this kid. The Safety cupboard was getting pretty bare.
  11. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +577 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    Another versatile DB, I like it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Smart and a wrap up hard hitter who has pose and can make WRs hearing foot steps, great pick. I looked at him but he I thought might slip a bit later but great pick up.
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,405 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    Vereen at this point is one of the better bargains in the draft. I think this is a kid who has the potential to be a leader like Mike Brown and has the speed and range to play FS. Between Fuller and Vereen and the signing of Mundy that defensive backfield is a lot more secure than it was a year ago.

Out of all of the picks I like this one and Sutton in the 3rd as well as any of them. I think we found two very good core players in these two without having to spend high picks on them. I think Vereen could start at FS and if Sutton can play at 285-290lbs again he's gonna be a troublemaker at DT.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So Sutton has had weight problems and Ego and Carey off field issues!

But like Long they hopefully seem reformed.

That said how hard is it to stay out of trouble through high school and college? Depends on circumstances as it's a lot easier if you've got a supportive family etc and every college kids entitled to have a bit of fun I guess. But yeah I do hope these guys are going to show their good character.
  15. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Weight issue doesn't seem that big of a deal to me in Suttons case. Coach said put it on, he added a lot of weight and didn't do it the correct way. Now he's back down to the weight he was at before he added all the unnecessary weight. Didn't see anything about Ego, what'd he do?