Round 6 Pick 183 Chicago Bears Draft QB David Fales

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß

[​IMG]

• David Fales, 6-1/220

• Quarterback

• San Jose State

David Fales Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
    • Rhythm passing
    • Scrambling ability
    • Accuracy in the middle of the field
    • Accuracy in the short to intermediate part of the field
    • Poise
    • Keeps his eyes downfield while scrambling
    • Fits a West Coast offense
    • Experienced

Weaknesses:
    • Arm strength
    • Not a dual-threat
    • Can't push the ball downfield
    • Lacks size
    • Needs to improve footwork
    • Field vision
    • Too often locks on his primary progression

Summary: Many years, there seems to be a preseason quarterback who draft diehards fall in love with and project to be a first-round pick. There were a few last year with A.J. McCarron, Tajh Boyd and Fales. While I was wrong to project Boyd in Round 1, I never projected either of the other two to be first-rounders, and their senior seasons illustrated why they aren't Thursday-night selections.

Fales started out his collegiate career at Nevada in 2009. Things didn't work out there, so he transfered to a community college. Fales excelled there before enrolling at San Jose State to become the team's starter in 2012. He completed 72.5 percent of his passes for 4,193 yards with 33 touchdowns and nine interceptions that season. Fales dominated the weaker competition.

In 2013, the senior completed 64 percent of his passes for 4,189 yards with 33 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. Fales had some disappointing outings early on against Sacramento State, Stanford and Utah State. After the slow start, he heated up. In the regular-season finale, Fales had a prolific game completing 37-of-45 passes for 547 yards with six touchdowns and no interceptions to beat Derek Carr and Fresno State by a score of 62-52.

At the Senior Bowl, Fales illustrated that he doesn't have the arm to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. Some players have been able to overcome that in the past, but the NFL is trending to the passing attack and vertical offenses. If this was 1980s-era NFL, Fales maybe would have been a more viable option as a developmental, game-manager quarterback in a running offense. He looks like a career backup in the present-day NFL.

While Fales struggles to go downfield, he has some accuracy in the short to intermediate part of the field. His college completion percentage was inflated by a short, quick passing offense that had a lot of screens. Fales won't be as accurate in the NFL given the tighter throwing windows, and he he lacks the zip on his passes.

Along with attempting to build up his arm strength, there are a few other aspects that Fales should improve. He needs to work on his field vision as he has a tendency to stare down his primary option. Fales also has to make improvements in his foot work, which needs to be more uniform. He also has a tendency not to follow through on all his throws.

In the NFL, Fales best fit would be in a West Coast offense where he can operate in a short passing attack. Fales is much better at throwing the short slants, crosses and dig routes that are the core of the West Coast offense. In a vertical, pro-style attack, he would be a bad fit.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    seems like a wasted pick is my first thought, if Trestman likes him though I can live with it.
  3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    There's the developmental QB everyone wanted. Puss arm.
  4. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +994 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    Camp fodder, nothing more. He sure isn't Cutler's replacement in a couple of years.

It will be nice to see to see him in TC, though. We have nothing to lose, Jerrod Johnson won't make it, Fales can be the #3.
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Fits the system but is a short, noodle arm. I'd rather have gone elsewhere with that pick.
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    LOL at people wanting a QB drafted then pissing all over him
    • Like Like x 5
  7. little bear

Ratings:
    +994 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    Of all the QBs I wanted Oregon State Sean Mannion, but he decided to go back for another year. Hopefully we will target him next year.

Tom Savage and Mettenberger would have been better because they have at least strong arms. But he's a 6th round pick, what can you expect?
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Didn't really want a QB at all. Reports say weak arm and limited height....why not pick up a depth LB here instead?
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    Tom Brady?
  10. little bear

Ratings:
    +994 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    Not pissing on him. As I said, we have nothing to lose. And he's an upgrade over Johnson.

His noodle arm reminds me of Dan LeFevour. ^^
  11. little bear

Ratings:
    +994 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    Exceptions prove the rule.
  12. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    I'm kinda with Emery on this one, I'd rather have one early to develop than someone like this. You can fix mental mistakes and technique. You're not going to magically get him taller and strap him with a cannon for an arm. I'll take a ST demon over a 3rd QB.

Plus, I kinda like Palmer.
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    No necessarily you LB
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    Every team needs that person. LOL
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    He's just one more guy to take some snaps and compete. He fits a Trestman type offense but I don't see him having much chance of sticking around long with his lack of arm strength. Not sure I even understand the pick after Emery put down taking a QB this late and expecting him to ever have a shot at becoming a pro QB.
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    That's Emery
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Might dominate preseason within Trest's system but dunno about anything beyond that. Could be a good PS guy who exemplifies what our offense should be ran as.. against scout players at least.
  18. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    With the system, he could become a quality QB (likely not a stud) that could get teams to offer a pick for him in a year or two. Who knows.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    If we get anything more than a 6th for him then he's a great pick. Cutler goes down, no one has tape on Fales and he dominates a few teams with Marshall and Alshon bailing him out.. we then get some silly team to offer up a high to mid round pick for him. Crazier things have happened I guess.

No one significant so far has been drafted between Fales and our next pick so I don't hate it.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    This late in the draft is typically where you look for prospects you believe could be coached and show dramatic improvement. I always feel big linemen give you the best chance at this point in the draft unless you go for a high risk character guy like Wilson last yr who so far is a gem. Hoping for Lyerla still this yr, but he definitely has some baggage.