Round 6 Pick 183 Chicago Bears Draft QB David Fales

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,881 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    877ß
    Tampa gave McCown how much after one year of success after how many years of meh?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    Like I said, if we get anything higher than a 6th for him I'm ecstatic. Seems underwhelming but hey.. go prove me wrong kid. If he's a perfect fit for our offense like it says then he very well could put on a show and earn us a draft pick.
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I see Fales as a new McCown, he could be an useful backup
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    If he brings McCowns work ethic he very well could be. This offense is set up for the QB to succeed.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    last qb I would have wanted, but it's a start. The system Tresticles runs doesn't demand a huge arm, which is one or the reasons that McCown looked as good as he did; the other being that all the talent around him made him shine more then he made them shine.

If the kid can make the correct reads, and get the ball out to the correct play at the correct time he's as good as Palmer is....Palmer is as life long awful as McCown was, so why shouldn't Fales have as much of an opportunity to succeed as either of them?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    "I don't believe in late-round QBs" - Phil Emery..

??????????

Emery will always surprise us.. Expect the unexpected
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    He also said he didn't like any of the S's after the top 2, and skipped the top 2 and took one late.
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    Maybe he just likes fuckin' with us.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,219 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    Ya think?
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    I'd also point out he said that they don't develop into long term starters, that doesn't mean they cannot be quality backups for a few years before falling out. If it could happen anywhere, it's going to happen here in Chi-Town w/Trestman and 3 pro bowl weapons and a stud OL though.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    Hope he can play Safety.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    here's B/R's report on him:

David Fales NFL Draft 2014: Highlights, Scouting Report for Chicago Bears QB

By Ryan Lownes , Featured Columnist
    Apr 9, 2014

Next ARTICLE »
    Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
    [​IMG]

Marcio Jose Sanchez
    Reads
    Comments
    David Fales, QB, San Jose State (HT: 6’1⅝”, WT: 212 lbs.)
    Chicago Bears
    Sixth Round: 183rd Pick
    NFL Comparison: Andy Dalton, QB, Cincinnati Bengals

Combine Weigh-in
    HeightWeightArmHand
    601521231 3/4"9 1/4"
    nfl.com
    Combine Workout
    40-yd dash10-yd splitVertBroad3-ConeShuttle
    4.991.6928"8'7"7.554.50
    nfl.com

Positives
    • Generally does a nice job of keeping his eyes downfield when he is flushed out of the pocket
    • Good functional mobility, maneuvering the pocket well and evading the pass rush
    • Demonstrates pocket presence, identifies pass rushers and possesses the necessary spatial awareness
    • Shows poise, reacting well to pressure situations and making throws while staring down the barrel
    • Manipulates coverage with his eyes
    • Confidently throws over the middle of the field. Attacks the short, intermediate and deep levels between the hashes
    • Displays touch and some anticipation
    • Fairly elusive in the pocket, makes defenders miss
    • Can throw accurately on the move
    • Has the intelligence teams look for from their quarterbacks, picked up a new system quickly as a senior and exhibits good decision-making on the field
    • Effective play-action passer who does a nice job of selling fakes to give him more space and time to throw
    • Good ball security, successfully limited turnovers. Threw interceptions on just 2.3 percent of his passing attempts and did not fumble often
    • A winner who exhibits good leadership ability, led his Spartans to their first 11-win season during the school’s time in major college football. Served as a team captain during his senior year
    • Slides to protect his body in the open field
    • Extremely productive during his two seasons at San Jose State

Negatives
    • May lack the arm strength to make all of the necessary throws at the next level, does not throw with enough velocity
    • Undersized for an NFL quarterback. Lacks prototypical height at 6’1 5/8” and muscle definition
    • Passes outside the numbers tend to lose a lot of steam
    • Not an exceptional athlete, had a mediocre showing during athletic testing at the NFL Scouting Combine
    • Deep ball will not strike fear into defenses, has a limited range compared to most of his peers
    • Footwork is a work-in-progress and he must be more consistent with his follow-through
    • Will not hurt opponents with his scrambling ability, lacks the speed to break off big runs
    • Occasionally a bit of hitch is evident in his throwing motion, especially when trying to compensate for lack of arm strength
    • Typically a good decision-maker, but occasionally bypasses his check-down and holds on to the ball for too long
    • Struggled a bit at the Senior Bowl, where he failed to consistently drive the ball downfield or outside the numbers
    • May not meet the physical baselines for several teams, his measurable traits are more in line with NFL backups than starters

Overall
    After finally settling in at San Jose State, David Fales enjoyed a very productive starting stint. While lacking prototypical size, arm strength and raw athleticism, he is an accurate passer that demonstrates pocket presence and functional mobility.
    His physical deficiencies make him more of a backup candidate than a true developmental option, but he is a good enough football player to stick in the league for a long time. He fits best in a West Coast offense that emphasizes his accuracy and efficiency.

If Cutler is the starter for the next 2-3 years, then they need a legit backup, and Fales might...MIGHT be a good option.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    Really does sound like McCown 2.0.

I was wrong, I'm even happy with this pick. Damn good draft.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    Chicago 66, lol McCown is what I'm thinking...and TB made him a starter lol!
  15. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    Maybe once McCown retires and if Glennon falls through we can convince Lovie this is the player he wanted and get a first out of him!
  16. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    The trouble is that he doesn't have McCown's size, mobility, pocket presence or his arm strength but other than that he JUST like him. :bah: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Without NFL arm strength I don't think he'll be worth a whole lot to others either but who knows what he may become under Cavanaugh and the QB Whisperer. There weren't any better vet FAs left and we needed at least one more arm for camp so he was probably a better prospect than the UDFA guys left out there. I wish Savage had still been there.
  17. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    eh, 6th round pick, not a lot at risk. But, 1 week ago Emery says no sense drafting a QB late rounds. Then he goes and drafts this kid in the 6th. Maybe Phil yielded to one of the other staff who sees something here?

I guess I would have rather wasted a pick on a TE or OL.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    except that McCown isn't really known for his arm either, it's why he worked in this system. McCown is more mobile, but Fales has good pocket presence and good field awareness
  19. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    I dunno, from the reports it seems like he has exceptional pocket presence and is really good at moving around and making people miss in the pocket. He definitely doesn't have the size but other than that they sound about the same. No way I'd give kudos to McCown for his arm strength. I remember the windy game we had to run all one quarter cause there was no way he was going to be able to throw in those winds.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Gabev44

Gabev44 Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So I went to SJSU and got to see Fales first hand. I've got to say I think this is an awesome pick-up for us and I really think this kid could surprise some people. In 2012 he had a ridiculous season and there was a lot of buzz surrounding him. Some people were even saying that he could be a potential first or second rounder in this years draft after that season. Obviously that didn't happen but I think we got a good kid. He's extremely accurate and not only does he make good decisions, he avoids making bad ones. These are attributes that play extremely well in Trestman's system (ie: McCown). I don't see him as a future starter but he's a guy that, with some Trestman tutelage, could be a great back-up if/when Cutty gets injured.