Round 6 Pick 183 Chicago Bears Draft QB David Fales

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,564 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    He wasn't drafted to be Cutlers replacement. He was drafted to be Hanies replacement. Seems like he would do fine there, LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    So, after all my harping on no developmental QB in the draft, and we take a developmental QB. Emery is one confusing cookie. God damn it crow tastes awful.

For everyone saying this is McCown 2.0, he's not. McCown could move when he came out of college. 4.59 40 yard dash. He played part time wide receiver for the Lions in 2006 as a backup QB.

Look, I don't see the sense in taking a QB like this when we sure as heck could have used some offshoot MLB possibility or maybe a TE prospect. He's not going to see the field unless Cutler gets hit so hard he actually explodes into his individual atoms and it causes a chain reaction to make Palmer explode as well. But screw it, this kid has one hell of an uphill battle to make this team, and to top it off his name is Fales. That had to be one tough hurdle to get over to be the starting QB of a high school team let alone college.

I hope Emery keeps him as the #3. We bought the lottery ticket, might as well scratch it.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    I was exaggerating just a little, LOL.

Fales is pretty much a pure pocket passer and doesn't have McCown's mobility. He may have good pocket presence for a guy playing at that level but when he gets an NFL rush in his face we'll see how he does. Compared to Cutler almost no one has an arm that good but McCown could make all the throws. He just needed to anticipate more instead of gunning them into narrow windows like Cutler does.

Some stuff I've read says Fales has lousy arm strength and other stuff days he's adequate in a WCO offense as far as short and intermediate throws go but not an ace on the long ball. Maybe the best you could say about him is that he was a productive college QB in a half way decent conference but I'm not expecting a whole lot from him.
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +744 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    732ß
    upload_2014-5-10_23-39-28.png

Palmer, who trained him for the combine does not seem to be worried about his arm strength
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,382 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    794ß
    Exactly. I'd be thrilled if we just had a backup guy here who was decent. If we can end up with a decent backup with a late round pick like this, it would be great. If not, then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either. This is what the late rounds are for. I like the pick. I've been hoping to see us bring in a guy for Trestman to work with. Hope this is that guy.
  6. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    I agree 66. The kid sounds like the perfect backup QB, which is what we need, & we got him in the 6th rd. Accurate, smart, doesn't turn the ball over, good field awareness, good leader, etc. I really don't know what we could ask for in a backup QB & 6th rd pick. Like you said 66, damn good draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    And there you have it. Houston is spot on. It's a big jump from the Mountain West Conference to the NFL. No offense to you Gabe as far as seeing Fales first hand but I did the same with Hanie when he was at CSU and saw a good QB who I thought could play a backup role in the NFL. Oooops.

There has to be a reason why so many QBs from California and other schools out West struggle in the NFL. Maybe it's the nice weather or maybe they're mainly system kind of guys who were fit into a certain offense and they can't play in another very well. The list of failures is long and distinguished.

If by chance Fales can earn a spot on the team or the PS and Cavanaugh and Trestman can turn him into a very good backup I'll be thrilled because we do need a guy like him in the mix. It helps that he worked with Palmer too. That should help him get up to speed faster.

I'm not opposed to the pick but in this case I believe Phil Emery's research stats. Very few guy taken after rounds one or two end up playing well enough to lead winning teams. In another year or two I guess we'll see what we've got there IF he hangs around that long.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    Says a guy whose thrown exactly 15 passes in his whole career and none of them in Chicago when the wind is blowing off the lake at 30 mph. Good in California or anywhere out West here isn't the same as November and December in Chicago. Still, accuracy and not turning the ball over are the two traits Trestman values most and Fales has that much going for him. The thing is that if he had a big league arm he wouldn't have been around in the 6th round.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,219 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    Don't expect much here guys. This is an athletically limited QB prospect who's ceiling is a stopgap #2 at best. Other than developmental trade bait (and that's a stretch project) I don't know why Emery drafted a guy that he himself basically said was a wasted draft pick.

Geez, the DBs, LBs, and TEs left by this point better have sucked pretty bad to take a noodle armed QB after saying such picks were a waste of time.
  10. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I'm hoping he was deflecting all along. Or he though Fales is a second or third round talent!

If Fales can be our Matt Flynn I'd be rapped. Get him to start a few games and play really well in the system, trade him for draft picks, watch him suck as a number 1 without the surrounding talent and system then bring him home to be the quality back up who can get the wins you need when your starter is out.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,564 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    I just hope he doesn't Fale.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    again this is the 6th round guys, no LB or DB or T is going to stand much of a shot of making the team, so why not take a shot at a guy who's sole job MIGHT be to be BACKUP to a guy that MIGHT miss 3-5 games tops? If Fales wins the backup role and never sees the field it's win, if he does see the field it's for maybe a 3rd to 1/2 the games at best, any other position is likely not ever going to see the field at all.

lb in the 6th really? who was there that was any good w/the potential to start? 32 teams pass on a guy for 5-7 rounds and you think somehow the guy has potential to see the field? Fales probably isn't anything, but he's got a better shot of beating out Palmer then any other player at any other position did of even making the squad.
  13. PunkyQB

PunkyQB Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Watching the draft when he was picked, a lot of the analyst seemed to love the pick. Hopefully he will be the long-term backup QB. Better that than keep throwing money (aka Campbell) at a veteran who has to learn a new system.

And he can't possibly be worse than Hanie was.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    Punky, no doubt, and while memebers want to say he has a "noodle arm" both Palmer and Trestman, and the Bears scouting depth said his arm was good enough, I'll take their word on it.
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +744 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    732ß
    Welcome aboard, Love the moniker
  16. PunkyQB

PunkyQB Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Thank you, BSBEARS! Really liking this forum so far. Haven't come across any trolls yet! Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.
  17. PunkyQB

PunkyQB Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Same here. I think some put too much emphasis on arm strength and not enough on accuracy .
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    Arm strenght is needed for starters, even Brees, who doesn't have huge arm strength, has a good amount of it. Or if you have a Martz style O all the qb's need a huge arm, nut for a backup playing WCO all you need is good enough, and Emery/Palmer and the Bears believe Fales as good enough to run Emery's WCO.

I am worried about his rather small stature and his inability to run, but much like Brees he's really good in the pocket so that will help some.
  19. PunkyQB

PunkyQB Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I haven't seen him play, so I don't know how good his arm is, but seeing how well Trestman did with Cutler and McCown, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
    It's all speculation at this point. The real test we won't see for awhile now.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    If the guy beats out Palmer this year, it was a steal to get him in the 6th. If he becomes the backup in year 2 or 3 then he did more then was expected, and if he never does anything then he joins a long list of other 6th round guys to never do anything.