Round 6 Pick 183 Chicago Bears Draft QB David Fales

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

1. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Yeah, I've heard loads of grumbles but I don't know who else was there that was really a clear cut better choice. Maybe there was some can't miss project, I guess we'll see in the next few years.. but I can't hate on the pick when I can't even name someone I would have loved to have over him.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +987 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    A QB in the 6th really?
    32 teams pass on a guy for the most important and vital and sought-after position for 5-7 rounds and you think somehow the guy has the potential to see the field?

Not to be a smartass but you can say that about anybody and any position drafted in the 6th+.

At least a position player can contribute on special teams and yeah some late round hidden gems do materialize (Seattle has a bunch ya know). Paraphrasing Emery here, besides the Brady one-time miracle, name me one 6th/7th round QB that was ever a pro success.

I don't hate the pick and yeah playing a little devil's advocate here. I also realize that most 6ths don't amount to a hill of beans. But if I can question anything Emery did in the draft, I was disappointed he used the two 6ths on a punter (who 99% chance would have been there in 7 as he was the ONLY one drafted) and a QB (who by his own admission has zero chance of becoming a starter). There are lots of CBs and OLs for instance who became contributors coming from the late draft.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    MP but that's the point, all these guys are not likely to make the team, let along become starters and lucky if they make backups.

To paraphrase Emery here, He's here to compete for a position and possibly be a backup. I'll take a guy that could be a possible backup qb over a guy that MIGHT be a ST contributor. This draft was deep, but lets not get crazy, chances are a 6th-7th round pick isn't becoming a starter.

I'm not sayin they couldn't have gotten better, but you could have gotten a hole lot worse. If they got their Punter for the next 4 years+ and got their backup QB for the next 2-3 years, then the picks panned out better then most 6-7th round picks go.

I didn't love either pick, but I'm not going to hate either of them either, they were good but not great picks...which is all you can get out of the 6th-7th rounds. Again Emery has earned the benefit of the doubt w/this stuff, and again if all we have to do is bitch about 6-7th rounders then the GM did his job.
  4. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think we need to start looking at the backup QB position or 3rd stringer (if they keep 3) as valuable as a starter pick, EVEN if he never sees the field (best case scenerio). This isn't Tice and Martz and Lovie running the show; it sounds like Trestman is EXTREMELY particular of who is a good fit for the team skill wise and maybe more importantly, the meeting rooms. He's stated over and over again he wants intelligent, passionate, leadership, tough people in that position. It's not like it's Jay on an island all by himself and then the rest of the backups are off somewhere else....

Josh is a perfect example. He maintained that role very well. The players loved him, he was(is) a student of the game, and he helped Jay in more ways than we probably know.

From what I can tell, Jordan is very similar to Josh, without the actual game-time experience on the field (which makes me a bit nervous, I admit). It sounds like he's forming a good reputation for himself by volunteering his time to help a lot of these rookies coming in. From what I gather, the team likes him as well, and he even went down to FL to train/hang out with the boys.

Bring in Fales. No NFL experience of course. But same qualities I listed above. Hell, he already has a relationship with Palmer. He's a leader, a team-player, and will study his butt off.

I like the pick in the 6th round. Even if you disagree that we should have taken somebody else for ST or depth, I think this pick is invaluable. For Jay, for Trestman, and for the transition into year 2 of the offense.

If anything else, it's a test-run in the draft for when we REALLY need a starting QB. Even Trestman in the presser was like, "we'll see where this takes us". As many as pointed out, Emery didn't draft him to be a starter in the future; he drafted him to complete for the backup QB position. Which I think is as important as a starter. Just my opinion.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +987 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I agree, Ric, and yeah it's nit-picking I admit. If Trest/Cav like Fales then makes sense.

Man this draft, after being initially touted as "rich", became a real dud for QBs. Bortles is gonna struggle mightily in Jax with no weapons. Manziel is a boom or bust, we'll see. Bridgewater nearly fell outta the 1st. After the Carr pick, it became a desert. So much for the idea that Savage, Mettenberger, and McCarron "early day 2 picks" lol.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    if it was qb rich then a lot of teams got steals. More then likely teams got backup at best guys.

The entire draft really felt like there was a severe drop off in talent after the 4th. Guess the idea of a super deep draft in general was a bit off.