Round 6 Pick 191 Chicago Bears Draft P Pat O'Donnell

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    No IM going to turn you into Einstein when you wake up. Lay off the meds.

Give the Punter #5 for a number and I win.

Yeah the punter kicks the ball and stands there unless all hell breaks loose ands its coming back to OUR 40 and then our punters in the past made an "attempt" to tackle.

The whole league would SHIT if our punter knocked a guy out of bounds at THEIR 40 !
  2. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    BUMP for ST.
    :lol 027:
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,232 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    293ß
    JJ -- didn't work. I woke up and I'm still not Einstein. If I have a wild night and don;t comb my hair, I can kind of look like him...
    I'll tell you what. I'll wake up again tomorrow and see if works then. I might have to wake up a couple of times... I've got a long way to go to make the cut.
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    466ß
    as RICZA SAYS, something else we agree on. HMMM.:10 7 1[1]::10 7 1[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,232 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    293ß
    lol, thanks a lot!
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,695 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    Going back to Todd Sauerbrun the guy was a head case and a problem child for most of his career. Yeah he could kick the shit out of a football but he ended up overweight and got hurt before the Bears let him go plus he was an arrogant SOB.

He bounced around some after that but he was still a problem child every where he went. He actually refused to place kick at Carolina after their kicker got hurt unless the team forgave his fines for being overweight and paid him back those they had taken from his salary.

He eventually ended up here in Denver and after having once been suspended for steroid use and a DUI he knowingly took a dietary pill that contained ephedra and got another suspension for that. That pissed Shanahan off and that was close to the end of his career in the NFL. He's burned so many bridges no one wanted him after awhile.

But back to O'Donnell. Obviously the guy is more than just a tall skinny punter with a big leg. Hopefully he's as good at directional punting as he is at booming it downfield. That's a biggie in the NFL. Looks like he can handle kick offs as well so that gives us a backup to Robbie as a bonus. We needed a punter and the kid looks like he was worth the pick.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,034 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    I doubt Phil would have used a draft pick on a punter if they were confident in Butler/Way and unless they felt strongly that O'Donnell was a significant upgrade. I believe he was the ONLY punter drafted, at least he was the first one anyhow.

Basically the job is "his to lose" this summer. High likelihood he makes the final cuts and becomes our new punter, hopefully for a good long time.

In fact the only draft pick I can see not making the team is Leno. He's probably in competition with Groy and Brown for the 8th OL spot but will end up on the PS for this year. The first 5 picks are all roster locks barring serious injury. O'Donnell 80% chance is in. That leaves Fales. Unless he's a disaster in preseason, I think he will make the team as the 3rd (inactive) QB. Drafted QBs usually don't clear waivers or avoid poaching for a full year so stashing him on the practice squad probably isn't a viable option.
  8. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Soul, if you check out the video I posted on page 3 in this thread I think your accuracy question will be answered.
    :lol 027:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Jeez!!!! It looks like he runs downfield as soon as the ball leaves his foot and gets his nose dirty
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,695 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    How well Fales does over these next few months will have a lot to do with whether or not they feel they need to keep him on the roster in order to protect him. Ordinarily Trestman doesn't keep a 3rd QB on the roster and if Lynch makes the team he'll have an emergency #3 already whose also playing other positions. If it came down to that I'd rather they kept Lynch on the roster if he shows he's got the all around skills to make the team. Anyone who takes Fales off our PS has to put him on their active roster. They can't pluck him off our PS and put them on theirs. That minimizes the risk a little but you're right. We have to get him through waivers in order to get him on the PS. Should be interesting to watch what happens there.

I agree with you that it's O'Donnell's job to lose. Anytime you spend a draft pick on a kicker or a punter you expect him to make the roster but the other two will give him some competition I'm sure. Butler's kid has a year of NFL experience already so that helps him a little but probably not enough to win the battle in the long run.

Lots of competition for the 7th and 8th OL spots too. I think de la Puente is probably a lock but not so much with Britton unless he really challenges Mills for his RT spot and he could. He looked good last year when he took over for him. Groy will probably end up on the PS if they can get him there. Brown and Leno have to battle it out along with Long for a backup LT spot.

It's getting to be a lot more interesting to preview these camp battles now knowing that there are far fewer openings in some spots than we used to have. Especially on the OLine. Emery has done a good job of upgrading the back end of the roster as well. There are quite a few vets with starting experience competing with the rookies and 2nd year guys for those #3 spots. It should be interesting to watch some of the battles in camp.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,695 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    Oh I didn't miss that one he boomed about 70 yards and put out of bounds inside the five. The real trick for some of these guys with the big legs is doing that from 50 yards out. It's consistently nailing teams inside the 20 and avoiding touch backs that really make the difference. That's the kind of stuff that makes you a hero to the defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,034 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    Fales will have to clear waivers to even make it to the PS. True, if he does, then poaching him would require another team to put him on their 53. If he's indeed "Trestman's project" will they risk him on the waiver wire?

I agree there's little need to carry 3 QBs especially if Lynch makes the team and can be an emergency option. It would be ideal to store Fales on the PS but I don't know whether that will be a risk to take.
  13. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    105ß
    Here is O'Donnell talking about Pooch Punts ...

14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    At least he knows hes working for the defense.

If you are nice to the defense and leave them in good field position they will buy you lunch.:10 7 1[1]:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,034 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    Dickerson and Wright reporting that Bears released Butler today. More evidence that O'Donnell has the job probably all but sewn up already.
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    466ß
    Probably trying to give him a shot on somebody elses roster.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    If its true BEARS released Butler then well ... thats that.
  18. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß

Yep, that pretty much seals the deal. I hope "Butthead Jr." finds a landing spot.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,695 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    Papa Butthead wasn't too happy about it but when they spent a pick on a punter that would pretty much tell you that all things being equal he's the guy whose gonna get the job. Would it have been better to keep Butler around all through camp only to give the job to O'Donnell then and leave Butler with no chance to catch on somewhere else? No. What they did was the correct thing to do. It shows respect for Butler as a vet punter.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,701 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    Papa Butthead forgets that he was a 4th round draft pick and that he was given the job because he was drafted too