Round 7 pick 246 Chicago Bears Draft Charles Leno

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,449 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Kind of pudgy and Pilsbury Doughboy soft by the looks of him. PS guy at best but isn't that what 7th rd. OTs usually are?
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    NFLDRAFTSCOUT.com had some interesting scouting comments on him. It says he may ultimately be best at guard. In fact they had him rated in the top-10 guards in this draft (a 4th or 5th rounder). Here's some more from them. I hope they're right about him being a starter. But even if he's a solid backup, that would be fine for a 7th round pick. I've read some scouting comments from other sources that believe he could be a solid swing tackle. He has played both right and left tackle at Boise State, a school that has sent it's last 3 LT's to the pro's - and Ryan Clady has been a solid one.

For a 7th rounder, I love this pick. We could end up with a solid backup, or maybe even a starter. You can't ask for much more than that with a late pick. One last thought. He came to Boise as a TE. I wonder if he might be used like Eben Britton.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Hmmmm...... JABF. Did you catch that he used to play TE. An offensive line minded TE sounds like somerthing that would be a handful. G would work too. Not bad I guess. Can't wait to hear the camp buzz.
  5. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Sounds like a project for Kromer. I wouldn't be surprised if he help make this kid a player down the road.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    For a 7th rounder, I figure Emery did well here. Kromer has been pretty good about developing solid OL players like this. I wonder if he had any input here. Maybe he saw something in this guy he believes is worth kicking the tires on.
  7. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think we would both be surprised if he didn't my friend.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,449 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    All of you do yourselves a favor and watch his Combine video. He's slow, he's soft, and take a look at his lower legs and calves. For an OL they're like toothpicks. He may be able to mirror a little at LT but he's nowhere near the OT those other three were. BSU has fallen on some hard times these past couple of years guys like Leno may be why. I would be shocked if this kid made the team over guys like Britton and Brown but Brown needs to prove he can back up at LT or he may lose out to someone who can and we do have other OTs on the roster.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I know this is nit-picking since I liked his first 5 choices but Emery's last 3 were weak sauce IMO. Didn't like them at all.

Fales: why pick a QB when you went out of your way to say it was a waste of time this late in the draft? Sounds like a noodle-arm low-mobility guy that's no better than any vet you could rent for minimum salary as a #3. And that's all he will be--a PS quarterback to cut in a year or two who offers nothing in the meantime on special teams. Sounds like Christian Ponder 2.0 where he should have been drafted. I don't get why Phil couldn't have found a higher ceiling player at any other position here.

Punter: this is my least unfavorable of the last 3. At least he was the best prospect at his position so no complaints there. But wouldn't he have had a 99% chance of being there for you in the 7th?

Leno: this is where I would have taken the punter if you liked him. And maybe gotten a slightly better OL prospect a round earlier.

Wasn't there any DB, LB, or TE guys who were worth chancing a measly 6th or 7th on?
  10. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    129ß
    Yes, there was. ^^
  11. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Don't really like Fales in the 5th, would prefer in the 6th or 7th but then again McCown showed how important back up QB is as a position. In a strange way back up QB is actually as valuable as a lot of starting positions if not more. I'd rather have a slightly weak line backer surrounded by a good defense than a back up QB who is completely unreliable. QB is the one position you can take a guy in which you don't ever project he'll start as long as you think he's good enough to be a number 2. Fales might not be much more than Ponder but imagine how good he could be after 2 or 3 years in the Trestman offense?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjmVs8SVm4k

In the above vid at 1;10 he throws from his own 40 under pressure to a receiver at the 20. 40 yard pass will do me. I think Fales can be our version of Matt Flynn. Not a chance at a starting QB but a really good back up for one team and one system.

Punter all depends on whether the number 2, 3 and 4 punters were any good. If they weren't then no harm taking the guy who you really rate in round 6.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    anyone understand that McCown was a "noodle arm" qb also? Do we understand that Martz's 7 step drop/chuck it deep isn't the O mindset anymore? The reason McCown was successful was he could pre read the D, drop back and release to the correct read on time, normally a short to mid range pass and let the WR/RB do the work. Fales is very capable of doing that, all he's really missing is the ability to run.

Leno is 6'4, 294, and broad jumped 9ft to put that in perspective Sutton jumped a little over 8, he also ran a faster 40 and 3 cone, so he might play slower, and might even seem soft, he's a hell of an athlete. A few years in the weight room and practicing and MAYBE he'll end up something....again it's a 6-7th round pick; none of these guys are going to "bust" out of the nfl, none have any expectations. If Trestman thinks he can be an OG, then he kind of fits the mold.

Cannot believe people are bitching about 6th-7th rounders....1st world problems man, do you get that it means the rest of the draft went off w/out a hitch; what a difference a few years make!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Soul, I don't disagree, but then I keep coming back to thinking that Kromer looks at these guys and sees beyond what they are now. He sees players in terms of what he can build them into. He's built Pro Bowl talent this way from no-name players. I'm not saying Leno will be one of those, but I suspect Brown (not a Kromer pick) is probably toast, and this guy is Kromer's guy. The guy he feels he can (at least) build into a quality depth player. If Kromer can make him into this, then that is a good pick in the 7th round.
    • Like Like x 1