Safety Position Big Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I can already see with camp starting that we are going to have about a million threads regarding the safety spot so I figured we could condense most of the conversation and debate into one.

So here is what we have as of now IMO.

Conte-Currently on the PUP list and not what you want considering that he is in a make or break year
    Vereen-Looks alright/above expected in pre-pre-season. Needs to take that next step now the pads go on in order to lock down the job.
    Wilson-Former 6 time pro bowler. Health issues. If he can just be 75% of what he was then he may take one of the jobs.
    Mundy-Always seems to underpreform on teams with top talent at S. Now we can see if he is a bit unknown because of his abilities or the ones he was playing under. I think he is a longshot to start.
    Jennings- Longshot to make the 53 IMO. If he does it will come mostly from use in ST.

My prediction for day one starters.....Vereen/Wilson (Insert Conte here if he is able to fully go in TC.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Good idea Grizz.

I think we got some good news and some bad news today although IMHO the bad news was no surprise. I don't believe they ever expected Conte to be ready to practice before he second week of August anyway. It makes it a little tougher on him and the team but it is what it is.

The good news is that Wilson's problem isn't as severe as we thought and that his workout went well. The guy is a "baller" and if he can play he gives us a physical presence at Safety we can surely use. In his prime he was flat out scary and he may still be at least to a degree.

It's hard to rate Mundy just yet. We need to see him in action. He's played behind some very talented guys and there's no way of knowing just how good he might be now that he's in no ones shadow. He may have been nearly as good as guys like Clark and Polamolu but you don't best them for their spot by only being almost as good.

If Conte's recovery is slower than expected and Wilson can play better than originally expected I wouldn't be shocked to see him and Mundy start the season at Safety. That kind of vet experience would be nice to have back there and Conte and Vereen probably wouldn't be lagging all that far behind them. I wouldn't make book on all four of those guys playing all 16 games this year without missing any time.
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    This makes so much more sense about one aspect of training camp.

If we can continue forward and post threads about just one other position,

and include them all in there it is going to make it so much easier to read.

A QB thread ... a LB thread ...etc. Good work Grizz!
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    And this just in.............Steltz is on the PUP as well opening the door for Wilson just a it wider.
  5. RochBear

RochBear Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    Indeed, good move, Grizz, to gather the threads into one ... thread (hmm).

And like you I think the four realistic starter possibilities are, Conte, Mundy, Vereen, Wilson. We differ on who we would bet on for those spots. I think Conte/Mundy will be the starters. Mainly, I think that because I think the Bears have been convinced all along, presumably from their grades of game film of Conte and Mundy that those two are acceptable starter (I figure that is true because they were in no hurry in either the draft of free agency to get anybody else). Given that, and health in the Conte/Mundy pair, then I would be delighted to see Vereen/Wilson start since they would be beating out 'acceptable' starters and presumably better.

Its preseason, time for dreams. One of mine is the late 4th rounder, Vereen, turning out to be an Ed Reed and the 34 year old Wilson turning out to be the 28 year old Wilson.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  6. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +799 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    446ß
    Kyle Fuller with 2 INTs today.

Rich Campbell @Rich_Campbell
    Bears 1st-rd rookie CB Kyle Fuller has 2 INTs today. Took advantage of separate offensive mistakes with QBs Jordan Palmer & Jimmy Clausen in

Rich Campbell @Rich_Campbell
    “He was like a caged tiger. He needed to get out." How Adrian Wilson returned from hamstring & Achilles injuries
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

I'm right with ya' Roch and I also agree that at least going into camp Conte and Mundy were their intended starters and it may well end up that way too but having a rookie whose hungry for playing time and a tough old vet whose still full of pride close behind then isn't gonna hurt a damn thing.

I'm getting a little bored with the media constantly harping on the Bears obvious weakness at Safety when it's like Emery never did a single thing to improve the situation and it's anything but obvious at least to me. We signed a career backup whose finally gonna get a shot at starting to show what he can do, an aging yet multiple time Pro Bowler chomping at the bit for a chance to show he's not washed up yet, and we draft a guy who may well turn out to be the best bargain S in this draft.

That's not exactly doing nothing but because we didn't spend money of Jarius Byrd or T.J. Ward in lieu of the DL we're still hurting at S? :jimmipost:Some teams are paying a ridiculous amount of money to Safeties and yet without a decent pass rush they're gonna end up just as vulnerable as Conte and Wright did last year. I'm glad we spent the money where we did. That's the way Bears football is played. Put a stop watch on the QB and the DBs will all look much better.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    After 'terrible' offseason, Wilson ready to prove himself to Bears

[​IMG]

By Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer, Tribune reporters
    7:02 p.m. CDT, July 24, 2014

BOURBONNAIS — Adrian Wilson’s fitness satisfied the Bears during the workout that preceded his signing on June 23. He showed general manager Phil Emery enough of the burst that helped the strong safety play in five Pro Bowls during 12 seasons with the Cardinals.

Wilson’s quest to win a starting job also involves a mental component, which begins Friday when he practices with the team for the first time. His crash course in the scheme included extensive study of his iPad playbook over the last month.

“Every day,” he said Thursday outside the cafeteria at Olivet Nazarene University. “For the people who know me, they know how obsessed I am with learning the ins and outs of the defense.”

After signing with the Patriots, Wilson missed the 2013 season with a condition known as Haglund’s deformity, in which an enlarged heel bone or bone spur causes bursitis in the heel. It required surgery on his Achilles tendon and 10 weeks in a hard cast.

Now he’s here to beat out Chris Conte, fourth-round draft pick Brock Vereen and other veterans for a starting spot.

“There’s no challenge, man,” Wilson said. “Football is football. I’m a guy who’s very prideful. I’m a little bit disappointed from last year. And I just came here to play football.”
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Doesn't sound like Wilson is arriving with the intent on becoming anyone's backup does it?

I'm pretty thrilled with the idea that he's here. To me he's the DB equivalent of Jeremiah Ratliff. Emery, Trestman, and Tucker wanted a defense that was tougher up the gut and plays with a chip on their shoulders and these are two guys coming off injuries who still have something left to prove. Lot's of pride in those two and they're gonna be out there playin' their asses off showing the younger guys how it's done in the NFL.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    And its just DAY ONE ... :18 1 205:
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Adrian Wilson in his own words. Listen to his interview.

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/new-bears-ss-adrian-wilson-minces-some-words-not-others

New Bears SS Adrian Wilson minces some words, not others

July 24, 2014, 5:30 pm

[​IMG]

Adrian Wilson has a rep, one of the hardest hitters in the NFL, a tough guy with a career marked by five Pro Bowls and three All-Pro selections. At 6-3, 230 pounds, even at age 33, he impressed general manager Phil Emery enough to be signed to a contract a month ago.
    But he is not impressed with what he is seeing in current training[​IMG] camps, even as the new restrictive rules serve to theoretically preserve bodies. Don’t try selling that to Wilson. Indeed, he thinks the softer rules were for the benefits of the new kids in the game.

“I come from the old school, so I think[​IMG] it’s bad,” Wilson said on Thursday. “But those guys changed the rules for the younger guys coming in, which I think are pretty soft. But, you know, it is what it is.”

Wilson, in shape and perhaps with a year added to his career because of a 2013 season lost to a foot injury, was accustomed to more. “[The old system] was two practices, real practices, not a walkthrough practice in the afternoon that’s just an hour,” Wilson said. “It was pretty much a grind. These last two years having the new rules of the CBA and everything, it’s kind of just like a regular practice. It’s not really taxing on your body.”

If Wilson is blunt and expansive about some of what he is seeing in younger players, he equally blunt toward doubters, even if his real feelings are very thinly veiled.

“I take a lot of the critics that said I can’t play, that it was a terrible signing by the Bears and all this other stuff that’s being said,” Wilson said. “I use that as motivation for me.”

The Bears certainly didn’t think[​IMG] Wilson, just the sixth player in NFL history to record 25 interceptions and 25 sacks, was a terrible signing. But Wilson is not being installed as the starter, which he was the last 11 of his 12 years with the Arizona Cardinals.

“In terms of how he moved around, the burst he displayed, the hand and ball skills, there’s no reason not to sign him, to put him in the competitive mix,” Emery said. “That position’s wide open. If Adrian Wilson walks in here and he’s in football shape and, like the rest of them, stays healthy, he can claim the job. But he’s gonna have a fight on his hands.”

Wilson is OK with a fight. He faced the end of his career about this time last year when he developed Haglund’s Deformity, a bony enlargement at the back of the heel that can involve bursitis.

Wilson was irritated at reports that he’d suffered an Achilles injury – “I don’t know where that came from” – but his real frustration was the difficulty dealing with and coming back from the problem.

“It was terrible,” Wilson said. “I really can’t describe it right now because all the cameras are in my face, but the words that I want to use aren’t words that I can use on camera and all this other stuff. It was pretty bad.”
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Talk about a tough guy with a chip on his shoulder. Whoa!
  13. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Assuming Wilson is the starting SS on the first PS game, I wouldn't want to be the Eagles RB. The first Eagles running play could be a statement by Wilson.
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Hey fuck that shit ... let him earn his way into a rotation ...

can he be situational downs ?

Good thats why we hired him.

Theres running your mouth and then theres Bourbonnais ...

its a field ... earn your stripes.
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +717 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    I think it will be Vereen and Mundy with Wilson the back up. If disaster strikes then they will have to rely on Conte at some point into the year. My hope is this D line is kicking ass and taking names so fast my grandmother will be able to play safety.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Oh I think he plans to. The news was he was working with the 3rd string guys today and whether that just because he was the last guy in the door and that's Trestman's way of doing it I don't know but I'm betting that it doesn't stay that way very long.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    He's not a nice man, :nonono2: and I don't mean that in a bad way.

He's one very prideful determined mofo who isn't here to sit on the bench for anyone.

While I like that I have to wonder what happens if he doesn't start. Will he be willing to stick around to play in sub packages against certain teams and formations? He finishes that interview by saying, "I just came here to play football" and with a guy like him I think you can take the term "playing" very literally.

I didn't hear any praise for the coaches or the team or any I'm just here to help this team who gave me a shot win by doing whatever I can. Adrian Wilson plans on starting at Safety.
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Cornerback Sherrick McManis intercepted Jay Cutler on a pass that was deflected. …

WR Eric Weems and Hayden got into the first skirmish of training camp but it was over as quickly as it happened. …
  19. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Physical presence is one thing, but they still need guys who can cover on the back end, too. Still don't trust Conte.
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    50YF,

Whens the last time we had this much talent in the secondary ?

We even get Hayden back.