Safety Position Big Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß

Completely agree. We clearly made a priority of fixing the DL first and foremost. That's the correct move IMO. The old cliche is correct that games are won and lost in the trenches. No pass rush will make good safeties look bad and great safeties look average. Put the 'legion of boom' on the Bears last year and they look like just an average group.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +963 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    I believe Mundy was a precamp favorite and it is his to lose. Not so convinced on Conte and Vereen and now add Wilson to the mix. I tend to believe the second safety position is still up for grabs and Conte is missing valuable time. If Wilson can come back to his old form I believe he will start.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Conte is missing valuable time but I don't buy the stuff from the media saying he's taking longer to heal than expected. He as never due back until early August and the first preseason game or shortly thereafter. If he's still nursing it after that then it will be longer than expected but not now.

I agree with you, Wilson is a wild card right now and no one can really tell what he has left until he gets some game action. A player like him simply can't let loose on his own team the same was he can in a game. He may have lost a step but his instincts and anticipation can easily compensate for that.

Right now I'm sure he's still feeling his way through the coverage assignments he wasn't around to pick up on in the OTAs and mini camp. It's not often that a team would bring in a player of his stature that late unless they felt he could make up for it in camp and still have a good shot of making the team.

In drills where he had no specific assignments Emery claims the burst is still there. Bowen says he's not showing it yet but even he admits there may be reasons why that isn't the case. He and Mundy will both see plenty of action in the preseason and then we'll have a better handle on where both are at.

It would be nice if we didn't need to throw Vereen out there to sink or swim the way we had to with guys last year. Letting him play STeams and adapt to starting through mental reps during games and then getting some snaps in practice is still the best way to make sure he's ready to start when the time comes. Right now until we hear differently I still expect to see Conte back in practice soon.
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +234 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    666ß
    Its wide open and sadly , its the legacy left to us by the former regime.

Which when you think about it comes down to the basic term : FUCK IT!

Safety has to be revamped top to bottem. Sign all of them that you want ...

sombody better step up on game day and lead the way when it comes to Safety's.

CHICAGO BEARS Safety's are the LOST left underwired hook in the WONDER BRA that lets womens breasts sag one below the other.

Now the right hook in the bra allows the womens breast to be uplifted and presented when used with the left.

So you dont want to lose one over the other ... kinda looks uneven.

Otherwise ... nice tits.

Thats our CHICAGO BEARS Safety's.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    By Patrick Finley | Get In Touch: @ | pfinley@suntimes.comBy Patrick Finley Inside the Bears - July 29, 2014 12:27 pm
    Bears’ Ryan Mundy out to ‘solidify’ safety

[​IMG]
    Bears safety Ryan Mundy is one of the many new faces fighting for a starting job at safety

BOURBONNAIS — Through minicamp and the first four days of training camp, Ryan Mundy has remained the constant in an otherwise-scrambled safety position. He’s played with the first team at strong safety, and could even more to the free safety spot if the team deems late addition Adrian Wilson a worthy thumper.

Monday, one day before the Bears’ first off day at Olivet Nazarene University, Mundy said he was proud of the way the position group was meshing.

“I think we’ve done a real good job of coming together as one,” he said. “They brought in a lot of new pieces, but we’re all veteran guys who have played at a high level for high-quality organizations for a long time. That makes it easy.”

With Chris Conte (shoulder) and Craig Steltz (groin) on the Physically Unable to Perform list, the unit is filled with new faces. Mundy, a former Steelers and Giants player, signed a two-year deal this offseason; former Packer M.D. Jennings and five-time Pro Bowler Wilson were added on a one-year contract; and the Bears drafted Brock Vereen.

Mundy said the defense is “having a good camp,” forcing about a dozen turnovers through the first four days at practice.

The Bears want to take four or five safeties into the season, and have said the two positions are interchangeable.

“I know they’ve tried a lot of people at the position, but I’m excited about the opportunity,” Mundy said. “I think that’s why I’m here — to come out here and help solidify the position and get our defense back to where it needs to be.

“That’s a great opportunity for me. Nothing is set in stone right now so it’s just a great competition for all of us, which has been well documented this entire offseason.”
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,694 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    783ß
    Who else is on the Vereen bandwagon?
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,144 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,453ß
    +1

My favorite pick of this year's draft. I'm really excited to see him play soon.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Chicago Bears

McCray takes first-team safety reps

July, 30, 2014
    Jul 30
    4:53
    PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. – In the latest twist to the Chicago Bears’ “wide open” safety competition, fifth-year veteran Danny McCray handled all the first-team reps alongside Ryan Mundy on Wednesday, while rookie fourth-round choice Brock Vereen worked exclusively on the No. 2 defense.

[​IMG]
    McCray
    A core special-teams contributor the last four years in Dallas (74 career special-teams tackles), McCray’s only real NFL experience on defense occurred in 2012, when he recorded 87 tackles and one interceptions in 10 starts for the Cowboys.

“It’s a big opportunity,” McCray said. “I think that’s what we are all here for. It’s open competition. They are just running people around to see what fits and who can make plays.”

The Bears have refused to anoint any starters at safety, citing it as an open competition. However, Vereen and Mundy spent almost the entire offseason program and the beginning of camp as the top duo until Bears head coach Marc Trestman met on the off-day (Tuesday) with his staff to evaluate the club after four practices in Bourbonnais.

“We wanted to take a look at [McCray],” Trestman said. “He’s been practicing well. We’ve said all along the safety position is wide open and we wanted to take a look at him with the first group today. We talked a lot about it yesterday. Like I said, like we’ve all said, I don’t think you should take any one day and start making decisions on who is playing that position, other than certainly the guys that we all know. But the safety position is wide open and Danny has worked to an extent that he gets a chance to get some work there, so that’s what we did today.

“No. 1, [McCray] been in the right place in terms of covering and terms of the run game. His effort level has been very high. He’s a highly intelligent football player. He’s played consistently and continued to ascend over the last few days and we wanted to get a look at him with the ones. That’s what we did today and we’ll see what the tape shows.”

To be clear: The Bears announced last week they planned to look at various combinations at several positions throughout the preseason. Just because Vereen ran with the second team on Wednesday doesn’t mean he won’t be back on the No. 1 unit in the near future.

“I feel like whoever I’m out there with, I’m worthy of making a play,” Vereen said. “I don’t care who is to my left and to my right. I’ve got a great group of guys around me that I’m going to give my top effort to.”

Meanwhile, veteran Adrian Wilson benefited from increased reps on Wednesday with Vereen on the second team. Up until Wednesday, the four-time Pro Bowl selection had been regulated to mostly the third team, where playing time is sporadic at best.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I guess they really mean it when they say the competition is wide open.

McCray and Mundy work with the #1 unit yesterday while Vereen and Wilson work with the #2 unit. McCray is a STeams demon so I'm sure that at least Joe D would like to see him around.

It's interesting how much differently they seem to be approaching this by rotating players around more in camp. Wherever there are openings there's gonna be massive competition.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    We already have a master thread on Safeties begun jackie. Here it is. Bump.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    I'm on the BV bandwagon for the future. Seems like a solid mid round pick who can become a contributor once he learns the D and adjust to NFL speed. I just don't want him starting in September. Athletic talent aside, let's not forget that he's a rookie from the big-10 (not exactly the most Aerial conference in NCAA football) so expecting him to come in cold and raw and become a starting FS in week 1 is a lot to ask.

I still believe our best safety duo is Mundy-Conte or Wilson-Mundy/Conte depending on CC's health status and whether AW has gas left in the tank. I would expect the final safety starters/depth chart to not be settled until late in PS.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    Mcray and Wilson are the first team safeties today
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

And yet another rotation. This is good.

The way I see it is Mundy and Vereen aren't going anywhere. They're 100% locks. Provided he's healthy enough to begin practice right after the first preseason game I'd call Conte virtually a 100% lock to0. If he can't practice soon then he's a candidate for the PUP.

So that leaves M.D. Jennings, McCray, and Wilson competing for Steltz spot and possibly a 5th Safety spot. Steltz is also out at the moment. Jennings has to be low man on the totem pole and I give him about zero chance of sticking. Wilson will stick if he can play well enough to start or play a significant roll in certain sub packages but he doesn't play STeams.

Enter McCray who plays STeams and can play FS which is where Steltz is usually considered a backup. I'd say that's the battle right there. If McCray out plays Steltz then Steltz is gone. JHMO
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I thought this was worth adding because it tends to confirm some of the suspicions I've had regarding Adrian Wilson. His gradual ascent through the tiers at Safety seems to jive with the plan the coaching staff has for him so none of his workouts have been unexpected so far.

Let's look at the reality of what this guy brings to the table. He's a LB size Safety whose earned his stripes and numerous post season awards and recognition as a monster hitter. He's an "in the box" SS with decent coverage skills to boot. This is Bears camp post CBA and these guys can't lay wood on one another the way they did 20 years ago or even 10 years ago.

The second paragraph says it all. Whether he makes this team or not will be based largely on what he can show under game time conditions when he can tee off on the other guys without any caution whatsoever. If he can still play like the Adrian Wilson of old, or even if he can only play like 80% of the Adrian Wilson of old, then we should find a place for him because this guy is one mean cat to have playing in your defensive backfield.

Bears Camp Report: Day 6

July, 31, 2014
    Jul 31
    4:35
    PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com
    • [​IMG]Safety Adrian Wilson seems to be gaining a level of comfort in Chicago’s scheme, which in turn has resulted in the veteran playing somewhat faster. But don’t be fooled by Wilson’s seemingly average workout pace as some within the organization believe he’s “practicing like a veteran,” meaning he’s expending as little energy as possible just to make it through camp and into the preseason games.
    • For Wilson, the exhibition games are where he’ll make his mark, and that’s when people within the organization expect the safety to go full bore. Considering he’s currently in a backup role, expect Wilson to receive significant snaps late into the games against mostly backups, and he’ll need to play well -- nearly dominate -- before the staff feels comfortable enough to put him into the mix for one of the starting jobs.
    • The coaching staff hopes Wilson pans out because if he does, it gives the Bears an intimidating force on the back end they haven’t had in several years.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Worth posting this link as an update if only because I think Adam Lefkoe has the most annoying "radio DJ like" voice of anybody I've ever heard whose not a radio DJ. Does this guy really talk like this all the time? Can it get anymore fake than that?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/..._medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=chicago-bears

I also posted it because Hub Arkush chimes in on the Bears shuffle at Safety. His most worthwhile comments are about Adrian Wilson. He believes that Wilson can win a starting position through his play in the preseason but if he doesn't start that he'll be released.

Hmmm, that seems a little severe unless of course Wilson will ONLY be happy if he starts. If that's the case and he won't be content to be a first call backup who might start at any moment and a contributor in sub packages then it probably is better if he's not around but I don't know if I see that happening.

So Hub is his usual all or nothing self.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    I like what they are doing at safety. It really seems that they are committed to finding the best duo back there. It will get very interesting to see what happens when Conte comes back. I feel decent/good about our S situation now. This looks to be a real fierce competition for the 2 starting spots and iron sharpens iron so I look forward to see who comes out of this as our starters.

McCray seems to be coming on strong and that is good to see he is turning heads. They used the old "we are just rotating guys" thing that they fed us last year when Mills ran with the ones over Webb. It doesn't mean that this is the say all end all but I'm sure they wouldn't just throw in a guy into the first unit if he wasn't impressing.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Sweetness622

Sweetness622 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Yes!! Finally Wilson is in with the 1st team! I believe Wilson is 100% healthy from last year and when at 100% he's much better than Mundy. I look forward to seeing his play this week and in the pre-season games. Several reporters have said he's been impressive the last few days. After only being in camp for a week, I'd say that's a good sign.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +234 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    666ß
    In the Sixth round ... THE CHICAGO BEARS select yet another Safety!

Oh thank GOD those days are gone.

:18 1 205:
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +963 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    Competition for both safety spots is wide open
    AP 5:29 p.m. EDT August 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    (Photo: The Associated Press)
    CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
    CHICAGO (AP) — The Chicago Bears have a wide-open competition at safety so far in training camp.
    Through the first eight days of practices, the Bears have used several veterans at filling both safety spots.
    And it's possible some players who are not even dressed at this point will be part of the mix before camp concludes.
    The Bears' defense dropped to 30th in the league last season and the safety play lacked consistency both in pass coverage and stopping the run.
    Former New York Giant Ryan Mundy, rookie Brock Vereen, former Dallas Cowboy Danny McCray and 34-year-old former Arizona Cardinal Adrian Wilson have all been tried at the starting safety spots in camp.
    "The rationale is it's an open competition, we're going to move people around, and you're going to see that throughout training camp and the exhibition season," coach Marc Trestman said.
    Vereen and Mundy played the spots with the starters through most of organized team activities and in the first five days of camp.
    Then Trestman put Vereen with the reserves and put McCray alongside Mundy. McCray was largely a special teams player in four years with Dallas and had 10 starts, all in 2012.
    "It's a big opportunity," McCray said. "I think that's what we're all here for — open competition. They're just rolling people around to see who can make plays.
    "Everybody has an equal chance. They've shown that throughout OTAs and minicamp."
    It's not surprising to Mundy that McCray would get consideration even if he was regarded chiefly a special teams acquisition.
    "He brings a high level of energy to the game," Mundy said. "He's very active around the ball. He knows how to get the ball out and that's something that we value here in our defense — getting the ball out."
    Vereen said he can't be too concerned about being moved to the second team after so much time spent with the starters.
    "In my mind, I'm still a rookie who has to prove he belongs on the 53-man roster," the fourth-round pick from Minnesota said. "I'm far too young to even worry about starting, not starting, whatever. In my mind I still need to prove I'm worthy of being on this team."
    Looking at all the veterans, Vereen acknowledged he'd like to be a starter from Day 1.
    "But these guys have been here three, four, shoot, 10 years," he said. "I'm in catch-up mode. That's the mindset I want to have."
    Each player has had strong practices followed by struggles against a Bears offense that has operated more efficiently from the outset of camp in Trestman's second year.
    Wilson was a late arrival, signing June 23 and missing all of the offseason workouts. He needed the time as he's been recovering from heel surgery. Wilson made five Pro Bowls and had 27 interceptions with the Arizona Cardinals.
    "I think what Adrian has done, he's kind of worked himself back into playing football, and we've kind of just stood back and allowed him to acclimate himself on not only what's going on in the classroom, but let him get his feet underneath him on the field," Trestman said.
    Wilson said he's playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder after seeing reports and hearing many regarding him as washed up. Bears general manager Phil Emery saw possible value in him.
    "I think Mr. Emery gave me a chance," Wilson said. "I think it's a low risk for them, high reward. So I'm looking forward to the opportunity."
    Former Green Bay Packer M.D. Jennings has been playing largely with the third team, and two other Bears have yet to join practices.
    Last year's free safety starter, Chris Conte, is on the physically unable to perform list because of shoulder surgery, and backup/special teams player Craig Steltz is also on PUP due to groin surgery. Conte is in the final year of his contract after starting 40 games in three seasons.
    Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker is looking for more consistency from Vereen, but it's something all the safeties have to show after the secondary allowed more completions of 20 yards or more (59) than all but six teams.
    "As we stack more and more practices on and we add more defenses and schemes and things like that and now the question becomes can you do it day in and day out at a high level, with the young guys," Tucker said. "And those guys have to prove that.
    "And not only the young guys, but when you look at veteran guys, you want to see if guys can still do it. That's a big part of it. Can you still do it on a consistent basis at a winning level? We're all out here to prove that. And that's the challenge."
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +963 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    Tucker said to want more consistency from Vereen as they are installing more plays. First hint Vereen may not get the starting role.