Safety Position Big Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Jul 23, 2014.

1. RochBear

RochBear Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    And thank God for that. We may not know if Wilson has much left, we may not know if Mundy can step his game up a bit from NY given an offseason as a 'starter', we may not know if McCray can be a legit NFL starter, we may not know how good Veneen is but we do know MD Jenning is a bad safety. He had lots of chances in GB and he proved he was bad. Looks like we may have 4 guys active and 2 on PUP who are better. Good, because that is a low bar.
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    621ß
    Anybody getting a feeling towards what camp fodder is yet at Safety ?

We cant keep all of them.
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    621ß
    The New York Jets are never short on bold predictions.

Dee Milliner said on Saturday that he is the best cornerback in the league and second-year quarterback Geno Smith followed up those comments by saying he would be a top-5 quarterback in the NFL.

Veteran linebacker Calvin Pace felt he needed to chime in as well. Even though the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks dominated the league last year with their overpowering defense, Pace said the Jets defensive corps is better.

“(Compared to) the rest of the defenses in the NFL? (Expletive), man, we’re the best,” Pace said, via the NY Daily News. “You ask anybody around the league, we’re not the team you want to see coming in, even in a down year.”

New York finished last year with the 11th overall defense and were third-best at stopping the run.

The Jets will have their work cut out for them, as Milliner and rookie safety Calvin Pryor are set to play major roles.

Pace still said a Rex Ryan defense is one that other teams strive to be like.

“We’re the benchmark when we’re doing well,” Pace said. “I’ll take these guys and Rex and this system any day.”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Sweetness622

Sweetness622 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Seems like Adrian and Ryan were seen out together at dinner tonight. This could be a good sign of things to come? #starters

@cruzcontrol
    Adrian Wilson and Ryan Mundy just walked into the restaurant we are eating at and sat right behind us
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I don't think there is any "camp fodder" at Safety. Emery made sure of that.

Vereen aside every single one of those guys has started multiple NFL games and one is an All Pro. Even Conte and Steltz are far above being just "camp fodder". There's some real honest to God competition going on back there and the haven't even been able to hit yet.
  6. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    If I were to venture a guess, I would say Jennings and Steltz are on the chopping block at this point. Question is will Wilson be ok with second team if he doesn't win the starting spot? If not, then maybe Steltz sticks around.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

McCray is making a pretty strong bid to replace Steltz and I believe he will. Jennings will be history after one or two preseason games and after the hitting starts we'll see where Wilson is at. I give him pretty good odds of making it and of starting.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +991 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    :haha::haha:
  9. Sweetness622

Sweetness622 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Mike Westhoff who was the fiesty Jets' Special Teams coach for a 1000 years and the star on HBO's Jets Hard Knocks had this to see about Dee's statement:

"I’m not sure [Milliner] is best CB up here in Cortland. And I might include the university." :002:

I love old guys, they give no f*cks and tell it like it is!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    621ß
    Green Bay Packers cornerback Sam Shields signed a $33 million contract extension during the off-season. His fellow starter Tramon Williams is a $9.5 million cap hit this year. And if reports out of Packers training camp are true, they won’t be allowed to do their jobs.

According to a Packers.com post by Vic Ketchman, Referee Ed Hochuli and his crew threw flags on nearly every play of a one-on-one drill designed to illustrate how the new rules will work.

Advantage: offense.

“Get ready for a lot of points scored in the NFL this season,” Ketchman wrote.

Remember the old Bell Telephone ad campaign, “Reach out and touch someone?” Not in the NFL.

“Penalties are going to be really high this year and the fans are going to be booing because there’s going to be yellow flags all over the place,” backup cornerback Jarrett Bush, who was flagged once in the drill on Thursday, told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal. “There’s going to be a ton of points on the board. There’s got to be something to help corners.”

Darn those Seattle Seahawks anyway. They figured out how to shut down Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl, and now the league is scrambling to keep the offenses zooming along. We can’t have these pesky defensive backs making NFL quarterbacks look human.

If this holds all season, it won’t be long before Richard Sherman is trash-talking Jeff Triplette on SportsCenter. Heck, this could revive Tim Tebow’s career.

Physicality in the NFL, for defensive backs at least, apparently is over. From what I understand, if an official sees contact, he looks at the quarterback, and the passer still has the ball in his hand, it’s a penalty. This is how the man-press coverage scheme becomes the you’re-screwed coverage scheme.

In addition, Hochuli told the Journal-Sentinel that position will be more greatly enforced – if a cornerback establishes a space, he has the right to that space, but stepping in front of a receiver to deflect or intercept a pass will be more difficult because the receiver now has the right to get there first. The veteran official likened it to the blocking call in basketball.

“I would expect there may be more fouls called in the first preseason game and the first regular-season game,” Hochuli told the Journal-Sentinel. “The big one is holding. We’ve also tightened up the rule on illegal contact. We’ve always given a little leeway on that.”

Not any longer. Scores are going to be big this year, and all the so-called shutdown corners in the league are going to be compromised, forced to learn a new way to do their jobs.

Given this development, perhaps all that money the Packers spent on Williams would have been better spent on Randall Cobb.
  11. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +454 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Switch in Bears’ secondary: Ryan Mundy to free safety

BOURBONNAIS — Veteran safety Ryan Mundy was back with the Bears’ starters Monday but in a new spot.
    For the first time in training camp, the secondary featured Mundy at free safety andAdrian Wilson at strong safety.
    “There’s some characteristics that you could say that this is what you want your free safety to have [and] this is what you want your strong safety to have,” Mundy said. “But through my experience, you have to be able to play both because throughout a game you have different formations, shifts, motions, situations. A lot can take you from a free safety to strong safety.”
    Mundy had worked primarily at strong safety since the team’s offseason training. He and rookie safety Brock Vereen entered training camp with the first-team defense. But defensive coordinator Mel Tucker has now featured four safety combinations with his starters.
    “We’re moving guys around to make sure everyone has a fair opportunity,” Tucker said. “There’s nothing set in stone.”
    That said, Mundy did little to warrant a brief break from the first team. He’s been a consistent performer throughout camp.
    “All we can do is go where they tell us to go,” Mundy said. “We haven’t even played our first preseason game yet, so any little ripple that happened back there, bigger waves were being made than probably should have been.”
    • Like Like x 1
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Kind of puts the emphasis back on the old Cover-2 style of playing off the WR in zone coverage and playing the ball along with the man. Our guys have been doing that all along so we should be in better shape than those teams that depend on press coverage for pass defense.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

This could be the starting combo on opening day and if it was I wouldn't mind at all if it does work out that way. I'm all for getting what we can out of Wilson and giving Vereen a chance to get used to the NFL before we stick him back there to sink or swim like we ended up doing with the LBs last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +454 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Agreed, but only if, when accounting for his inexperience, he isn't the best man at the position. If he is the best man at the position - that's kind of fricking sad - I think you have to start him. I do think that's a stretch though. To think that his strengths as an athlete and a collegiate football player would surpass those of some of the veterans we've brought in, is unrealistic.

Ideally, Vereen will be used as a situational player, in packages in which he excels (to help him gain confidence and experience) and in times of need (which at the safety position could come at any time). I also think getting him in on Special Teams and letting him adjust his play to a different caliber of talent will be essential to his development.

With that said, I'm really excited for Friday's preseason match up. It's the first time we'll get to see this safety class - an entirely rebuilt BRAND FRICKIN NEW safety class - in action. That's so weird to think about. NONE of last year's starting safeties are back for preseason game 1. Hell, they might not be back at all - although I do hold out hope for Conte. I think he got a raw deal last year with the weakness of the front seven.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    If his Combine numbers are any indication athletically Vereen may be superior to almost anyone back there but he still has a lot to learn about playing at this level as a FS. If all things are equal I'm gonna opt for the more experienced player nine times out of ten.

Vereen got a lot of reps in the OTAs, Mini-Camp, and now so he's gotten some decent exposure and surely the coaches have enough tape on him now to know what they have and what they don't have. If it wasn't even a close contest I think he'd still be with the first unit.

I really want to see what Mundy and Wilson can do in a game and that Philly offense is a great way for them to show what they can do. They'll need all of the speed and smarts they have to contain them. I just hope Trestman and Tucker leave them out there for awhile so we can see them enough to gauge how well they work as a team.

Conte did get a raw deal as far as being made the scapegoat for that loss to GB but even taking that away he needs to be far more consistent in his play. He shown signs of it but he's still learning the position too. Having Conte and Vereen as backups to Mundy and Wilson would be just fine with me.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,274 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,680ß
    I say we put Bennett out there. He wants to hit people, let's let him, LOL!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. RochBear

RochBear Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    To me, this sounds like bad news, Bears fans. Marshall and Jeffery had a significant comparative advantage in fighting through such contact. IF this is enforced hard, the quicker/faster receivers and DBs will gain and the bigger/stronger ones lose something.
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    621ß
    How are the rules updated?

Before or after the Draft ?
  19. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +991 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/i...-wilson-i-dont-feel-i-have-anything-to-prove/

Big game for Bears safety Adrian Wilson? ‘I don’t feel I have anything to prove’

The intrigue of the first preseason game often is dubious — it’s still only the first preseason game — but it’s as real as it gets for Adrian Wilson. Everybody wants to see if he can still move, react and play like the Pro Bowl safety he used to be. He’s got a lot to prove.
    Right?
    “It’s my 14th year in this — I hate having to answer questions about a preseason game,” Wilson said defiantly. “I just don’t feel like I have to prove anything to anybody. I’ve got six Pro Bowls, three first-team All-Pros — why do I have to prove anything to anybody?”
    Well, maybe because he’s 34, hasn’t played since 2012 with the Cardinals, spent last season with the Patriots on injured-reserved, is coming off surgery on his Achilles and hasn’t made the Pro Bowl since 2011 or been All-Pro since 2009. Bill Belichick, an NFL talent evaluator of some repute, doesn’t make a habit of dropping 30-and-over players who still have it.
    “Like I said, I don’t feel I have anything to prove to anybody,” Wilson said. “I’m just here to play football. I don’t really like doing the media thing, because I’m an up-front guy kind of guy. It’s the preseason, the first game.”
    The reality is that Wilson has a lot to prove. At 6-3, 230, he physically looks like a safety the Bears have never had before. He has 25 1/2 sacks in his career — only Rodney Harrison (30 1/2) and Brian Dawkins (26) have recorded more since sacks became an official statistic in 1982. With 27 interceptions, he’s one of only six players in the 25/25 club — 25 sacks, 25 interceptions. A noted big hitter, he’s an intimidating presence on the field.
    But at 34, there are a lot of questions. Wilson lost his starting strong safety job in New England in training camp last year before he was put on IR. Was it because of the injury — which has been described as Haglund’s deformity, an enlarged bone in the back of the heel that causes bursitis? In practice in Bourbonnais, Wilson has shown that he’s getting comfortable with the Bears’ defensive system, their keys and techniques. But he still has to show he can apply them while reacting and playing at game speed. And there’s only one way to find out.
    “The preseason, that’s the best way,” Bears secondary coach Jon Hoke said. “We’ll see where he’s at.”
    In a wide-open safety competition where the Bears clearly don’t really know what they have yet, Wilson is the biggest wild-card. If he’s still got it, the strong safety position is filled. And his competition can feel his immense presence.
    “Oh, yeah. You can definitely tell he’s coming for sure,” safety Ryan Mundy said. “He’s starting to show flashes. He has a knack for being around the ball. He’s in the 25/25 club (27 interceptions, 25 sacks) — there’s only like six people in NFL history in that club. So he definitely has a knack for play-making and you can see that on tape. So I think once he gets going, he’s definitely going to be out there.”
    While Wilson definitely marches to the beat of his own drummer, Bears coaches and teammates have been impressed by his work ethic and professionalism. He’s been a good teammate.
    “Adrian has done a great job of coming in here and being himself,” Mundy said. “He has Pro Bowls. He’s a long-time veteran. All-Pro and all that stuff. But he’s done a great job of just coming in here and being Adrian and just slowly working his way in. He had to learn the defense. He had to learn new teammates. But he’s done an outstanding job. And he’s been nothing but helpful for not only myself, but for everyone else in the [safeties] room.”
    The preseason previously has been perfunctory for Wilson. But whether he realizes it or not, this one is not. It’s his opportunity to prove he’s still got it. His career depends on it.
    But not to him.
    “I know it’s part of the evaluation. Everybody goes through it,” he said. “ just do what I have to do.”

--------------------
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    621ß
    How would you grade our secondary against Philly with an A-F score?

I give them a C+. First game of the season.