Safety Position Big Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Jul 23, 2014.

1. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    444ß
    B+ against Philly. Vereen can hit and cover. Wilson can cover and hit. Mundy looked sharp and got a turnover. I think they were consistently in the right position to make plays and to provide support and coverage. I don't know what more you can want from a safety crew. They looked consistent and violent. I was really worried about safety play this year, and I'm feeling one hell of a lot better about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Safety News: Monday, August 11th

Back in action for the second straight day after his return from offseason shoulder surgery, safety Chris Conte got his share of first-team reps, including in full team drills. The highlight of the day for Conte was a red-zone interception of reserve quarterback Jordan Palmer.

Adrian Wilson took first-team reps alongside Conte, but both also had turns with the second team. The safety position remains unsettled, with rookie Brock Vereen, Ryan Mundy and Danny McCray very much in the mix, too.

It’s still too early to tell if Conte will suit up and play in Thursday’s preseason game against the Jaguars, Trestman said. That call will be up to the trainers

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago Bears' projected roster
    August, 11, 2014
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com

SAFETIES (4)

Tough decisions loom at this position. For the past several practices and the preseason opener, Mundy and McCray have worked with the starters. Craig Steltz and Conte are back off the physically unable to perform list. Veteran Adrian Wilson is beginning to look like a long shot to make the roster.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wonder what Michael Wright knows that we don't. I'm shocked to see Wilson predicted as a long shot to make the roster. Unless McCray and Mundy are really impressive at that strong safety spot - or unless there are physical weaknesses they are seeing from Wilson, I can't imagine him being a "long shot.' Hrm.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Chris Conte keeping a list of naysayers

August, 10, 2014
    Aug 10
    7:49
    PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Chicago Bears safety Chris Conte came off the physically unable to perform list on Sunday, and revealed he’s put together a list of his own in prepping to fight for one of the club’s two open spots at the position.

Conte practiced for the first time Sunday since undergoing offseason shoulder surgery.

“It feels good to be back playing football,” Conte said. “I’ve got a list. There’s a lot of things I want to do, and a lot of people I want to prove wrong. There’s a lot of goals I have, a lot of things that I’m looking forward to. But I’m taking it one day at a time.”

[​IMG]
    Conte
    Conte took repetitions with the first-, second- and third-team defense, with most of his snaps coming with the No.2s. Conte missed the club’s entire offseason conditioning program after undergoing shoulder surgery which also kept him out of organized team activities and minicamps.

During that time and through the first 11 practices of training camp, players such as Danny McCray, rookie Brock Vereen, Adrian Wilson and Ryan Mundy may have leapfrogged Conte on the depth chart. But with the staff maintaining the position remains a wide open competition, Conte believes he’s returned in time to make a real push for a starting job.

“I’m gonna do everything I can to get back on the field and that’s all I know,” Conte said.

All he knew throughout the offseason, however, was intense criticism. Conte seemed to bear the brunt of the blame for the demise in 2013 of Chicago’s defense, which experienced a sharp decline from the previous season due to a combination of injuries and substandard play.

Conte ranked third on the defense with 95 tackles, and tied for second with three interceptions. However, he experienced well-documented issues on the field, including playing the wrong coverage on a late fourth quarter Randall Cobb touchdown in the Bears’ Week 17 loss to the Green Bay Packers that kept the team out of the postseason.

“We’ve seen him play at a high level. We’ve seen him do very good things," Bears coach Marc Trestman said. "He’s got to do it consistently. He’s got to know where to get lined up and the things we’re doing defensively. Certainly the athleticism is there to compete with anybody on the back end.”

The play against Green Bay and Conte's subpar 2013 campaign led to “a lot of soul searching” in the offseason, he said, “a lot of time focusing on myself physically and mentally. It was a good time for me to get better in a lot of different areas. Hopefully I’m a better person and a better football player. I learned to keep people close to me that I care about and to always know the people that support me are the only people that really matter. I’m not even thinking about last season. I’m thinking about this year. I don’t even know what happened last season.”
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Well Chris since you're not married to or dating any of my daughters I'll settle for just being a better football player. Go ahead and kick the dog, steal babies lollipops, and put the cat in the microwave if you like just tackle more guys this year and make sure you get ALL of the play calls right. :thumb:

Oh, and I was just kidding about putting cats in the microwave. Don't do that. They're actually much better slow roasted in the oven at 325 degrees and served with a plum sauce.
    :smilebig:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    And lemon juice ... mmmmmm.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    See, I think Soul was kidding, but then JJ posts and I just go hmmmm......

P.S.- Only joking, JJ!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I've never thought much of Michael Wrights analyses and he's by far not an insider in the sense that guys like "Moon" Mullin, Brad Biggs, and even the young kid Adam Jahns are. If "Moon" writes this I'd start believing but Wright, nah.

I suspect he's only looking at it from the perspective of Wilson not playing STeams and because McCray started on Friday which I think was intentional so that Vereen had a vet like Wilson playing with him. He's reading stuff into this that even Trestman has warned the media not to.

I've just about stopped following what he and Dickerson have to say because it's ESPN and their motives and approach are far different than Comcast and the Trib and SunTimes guys. I think this is no more than a shot in the dark to fill a column and they could end up keeping all five because McCray will replace Steltz on STeams, Mundy and Vereen can also play STeams, and Conte as well if he doesn't start. We can live with one old vet who doesn't when we have others who do.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

I'm a connoisseur of Chinese cooking jb. That's how I know about the plum sauce. :bah:
  8. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I just so happen to live in China, and I do LOVE some plum sauce!!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sweetness622

Sweetness622 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I couldn't agree more! It seems as if Wright and Dickerson for some reason, have it it out for certain players. I also can't stand Briggs either, he's become a miserable blow-hard who takes things out on certain players if he doesn't get an answer he likes. (Like when Adrian didn't give him an iterview.) I much prefer Campbell and Jahns. They seem much more un-biased and well-informed.
  10. Sweetness622

Sweetness622 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Wright is an idiot, he doesn't know anything that we don't, he just had a deadline to meet and didn't feel like doing his homework.
  11. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Holy shit ... Seattle ...

every Seattle QB that played against the Chargers scored a rushing TD.

Where was the Chargers Safetys?

In every position except where they should have been.

How did Seattle split them over and over ... I should have taped that game.

Sombody at HALAS HALL sure as shit better have taped that game.

Seattle split lanes wide open for rushing QB's all day long.

More then a few of them right down the middle.

Chargers arent a stupid team ... CHICAGO BEARS arent a stupid team,

but against Pete Carolls scheme ... we can be made to look stupid.

Lets not have that. This is a full court press of all DEFENSE on our part.

JCut better be going silent count the whole game.

Because the audibles aint going to be there. Not in that place.