Sanchez? bwahah

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ojibway Bob, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    MENU

NFL FREE AGENCY

Will the Chicago Bears land Mark Sanchez?
    BY DAVID MINIEL - MAR 22ND, 2014 AT 4:43 PM

PREVIOUS
    NEXT
    [​IMG]
    The Chicago Bears lost veteran back up quarterback Josh McCown to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. McCown stepped up in a huge way for Chicago after starting quarterback Jay Cutler fell to two different injuries on two separate occasions.

McCown finished the year with the Bears with 1,829 passing yards, 13 touchdowns and one interception. Cutler finished the year with 2,621 passing yards, 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Most Bears fans thought there would be a quarterback controversy in Chicago yet again, but McCown and head coach Marc Trestman both knew that Cutler was the starting quarterback for this team.

As of right now, the only back up Chicago has for Cutler is Carson Palmer‘s brother, Jordan. Jordan hasn’t played much in his professional career, so knowing he’s the one who has to step up if Cutler goes down again, is a little concerning.

But what if the Bears brought in recently released New York Jet, Mark Sanchez? Sanchez worked with now Chicago Bears quarterback coach Matt Cavanaugh. Cavanuagh worked with Sanchez from 2009 to 2012 before leaving for Chicago.

Chicago Bears general manager Phil Emery was asked about Mark Sanchez and this is what he had to say:

“At some point we’ll probably bring in a bunch of veterans after this wave of free agency – this first and second way – and we take a look at who’s still looking for an opportunity. And we’ll bring them in and we’ll try them out and we may sign another one.” – Phil Emery viaCSN Chicago.

Sanchez has 12,092 passing yards, 68 touchdowns with 69 interceptions in his career. Not the best numbers in the league, but could turn things around.

Usually all someone needs to get things on track is a fresh start. But will it be in Chicago? I highly doubt it.

Hmm interesting huh?
  2. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm pretty sure that Emery quote was not about Sanchez, but about vet qb's in general. I would like to see Sanchez signed and see what Trestman's crew can do with him.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Given his likely cost, I'd say PASS.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,436 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    way to much money, and never like the idea of bringing in vets.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß
    Let's put it this way. His track record is certainly no worse than many other vet prospects and Cavanaugh is as familiar with him as anyone so it's not beyond the realm of possibility. For McCown I believe that Emery would have reached a little deeper into his wallet, but not $5 mil deep, but for another vet to come in he would need to do it under that same vet minimum salary benefit that McCown did. So, if Sanchez feels he's worth far more than that it's not gonna happen. That's not to say if they found a guy who looked very, very good they might not stretch a little higher and give him a two year deal but the likelihood of that isn't as great.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 12 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    188ß
    Sanchez > Tebow
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß
    Infinitely.
  8. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I always thought he got screwed by the Jets not giving him anyone to throw the ball to and a rather suspect line. I just don't want a player who wears a "Girley Thing" hair band in his hair.
    :D
    • Like Like x 2
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,436 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    OMC there is something to be said there, his rookie year they gave him a great OL and a RB and I think a TE, and I think he helped them win a few playoff games. Over the years the OL fell apart, the RB's left and were never replaced and no wr's were ever added, then all of a sudden he wasn't good enough. I don't think he's elite definately not worth the draft pick they invested, but he's better then bust status.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    jim.jpg " girley thing" wearer of his day
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    If we couldn't afford McCown, I'd think Sanchez would be out of our price range. One other thing to think about. A lot of Bears fans started jumping on the bandwagon for McCown when he had success under Marc Trestman's system. I'd imagine this would be even more intense if a young Sanchez blossomed here when Cutler has his annual injury situation. McCown was good about deflecting the QB controversial stuff and Jay was okay. But what happens if a youngster like Sanchez steps in and looks better than Jay? Trestman would have a more intense QB controversy on his hands. And before anyone dismisses this possibility, I'd simply point out that this offense is so loaded with talent now (unbelievable talent) and now has a solid coach in Trestman - that a well trained circus monkey should look good behind center. I'm not saying you don't bring in a solid young QB to back up Cutler. Just pointing out what could play out with this situation. I guess this could happen with any #2 QB. But a youngster would make it more interesting than an old journeyman like McCown.
  12. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not even close. Jimmy Mac wore a sweatband Sanchez wears a hairband. Just look and you will see a BIG difference
  13. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Maybe Sanchez is so huge that it is stretched out.....hahaha, I'm just playing but if Trestman can get Sanchez to understand his potential... Well we could be in a good position to make a great trade for a few good picks....what's to lose? We need a vet backup for Cuttys eventual next injury anyways
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß

Hah, yeah but he compensated by "head butting" his linemen. Maybe that's why he can't remember the last beer he drank any longer. Or.......maybe it's all those beers that's doing it too him. ;)
  15. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well in his defense, an empty beer...is a forgotten beer
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß
    I found two that are as mobile as Russell Wilson. Which one should we sign?.. Or are those supposed to represent "black folk"? :confused:

:18_1_300[1]::18_1_301[1]:
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß
    I'd agree on the money thing. At this point in time I don't see Sanchez accepting a Minimum Salary Benefit deal unless that's the only alternative he has to not playing and he has plenty of time to wait it out. Some team will pick him up.
  18. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +909 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    206ß
    The absolute ONLY way it might ever happen is if he accepts a 1yr deal. He'd have to believe he has something to prove....could get on the field and then essentially earn his next contract.....on the Bears. THEN the money would have to work out, but under those circumstances, I think that isn't as difficult as a 2 or 3 year deal would be.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß

Yep, and therein lies the problem. If Cutler stays healthy the only field he'd see would be the practice field and that endangers getting a new deal and a shot a starting again. He's not ready for that yet.
  20. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +574 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    116ß
    Like Ric, I'm not a fan of veteran QBs. Sanchez is too expensive for us. But if Trestman was able to turn around McCown's crappy career, why can't he do it with Sanchez?

Sanchez is not starting quality and he knows it. Brandon Weeden wanted to go somewhere he can compete for the starting job... and landed in Dallas where he's got zero chance to get it as long as Romo is healthy.
    This makes me believe that maybe Sanchez would accept the backup job here in Chi-town.

Let me ask you this, if/when Cutty goes down (again) would you guys feel more comfortable with Palmer, Sanchez or a rookie as backup?
    • Like Like x 2