Sat Fam Fest Camp notes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 4, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/08/03/bears-training-camp-notebook-august-3/ayvjldz/

Bears Training-Camp Notebook: August 3
    By KEVIN FISHBAIN - kfishbain@shawmedia.com - Saturday, August 3, 2013 9:26 p.m. CDT
    CHICAGO — In front of 29,000 fans at Soldier Field, the Bears held practice for their annual “Family Fest,” which concluded with players signing autographs for the kids.
    “It was exciting to be out here tonight. You could see our players just had a blast out here. Their effort was at a high level,” head coach Marc Trestman said.
    As it has been for the last four practices, though, the story for the Bears centered on injuries. Wide receiver Earl Bennett left and was evaluated for a concussion. Cornerback Kelvin Hayden injured his left hamstring and is considered week to week, and defensive end Cornelious Washington sprained his elbow.
    Julius Peppers and Alshon Jeffery were tended to as well, but it was purely precautionary for hamstring tightness.
    The Bears did get some good news on the injury front, though, as Corey Wootton was in pads after missing the last practice with a hip injury. He only participated in individual drills.
    On the field, the practice was very similar to what we’ve seen from the Bears in Bourbonnais. This one did start with an up-tempo, two-minute-drill look.
    “We have to remember that it was still just practice eight, and we have to improve as a football team,” Trestman said. “I’m sure coming out here and being in this crowd helped our energy after seven practices.”
    New Bear: Tight end Leonard Pope had his first practice after signing with the Bears Saturday morning. The 6-foot-8 veteran is hard to miss, and certainly looks the part. “Obviously experience, going into the eighth year of the league,” Pope said about what he can bring to the team. “It’s not going to be easy, I’ve got to work my way. … I know what it takes to be the type of player that I need to be, so I’m just working my way up the ladder right now.” Pope will be competing with Steve Maneri, Kyle Adams, Fendi Onobun and Gabe Miller to back up starter Martellus Bennett.
    Team Defense: During introductions, the offensive players came out one-by-one, and then the announcer then went to the secondary, yet no defensive backs came out of the tunnel. Then the unit came out as a group, and the linebackers and defensive line did as well.
    Quick hits: The biggest roar from the crowd came on a long touchdown pass to Devin Aromashodu, who beat Isaiah Frey. … Jay Cutler opened up practice with a thread-the-needle type pass to Brandon Marshall, just out of the reach of Lance Briggs. … With Hayden out, Frey worked as the first-team nickel corner. Rookie wideout Marquess Wilson got reps with the second team, as did undrafted rookie Zach Minter. ... The Bears have an off day Sunday before returning to Bourbonnais for an afternoon practice on Monday
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    http://www.windycitygridiron.com/20...ears-training-camp-family-fest-practice-recap

Chicago Bears Training Camp: Family Fest Practice Recap
    By Steven Schweickert@SJS_illini on Aug 4 2013, 7:00a +

Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
    Stay connected for news and updates
    Last night marked the Bears' annual Family Fest practice, and there are still practice highlights to give!

Last night marks the first scheduled evening practice of the year (rain-adjustments notwithstanding...), and there were some developments and such, so let's not waste any time and get back into it...
    Once again, Jermon Bushrod and Jonathan Scott didn't practice. Neither was Jamaal Anderson, still out with his knee injury. And neither was D.J. Williams.
    Corey Wootton, however, came back to the lineup after his hip injury. He was a bit limited; Shea McClellin was seeing time at the left end spot.
    No field issues this year. Though they will re-sod the field before the season opener on September 8.
    Kelvin Hayden came off the field to get his leg looked at - it appears to have been his hamstring. Even just as the nickel back, a loss like Hayden would still mean something - his injury's being evaluated as week-to-week. That being said, we still have over a month until the games matter.
    Ah, the offense and defense dichotomy.
    James Brown got in with the first offensive line and Jon Bostic stepped into the first middle linebacker spot.
    Looks like Alshon Jeffery was taking that Brandon Marshall training seriously; he was working hard on his run-blocking.
    Kyle Long got victimized by Shea McClellin on a good speed rush. Long came back to stop Henry Melton later, and Jordan Mills put a nice stop on McClellin.
    Sigh. Really? Personally, not a fan.
    New tight end Leonard Pope put a stop on Cornelius Washington. Washington later left with an elbow injury.
    Julius Peppers left the practice eventually with his own injury. Jeffery was pulled from camp later with tightness in his own hamstring.
    This one might actually be a little scary. Earl Bennett left practice with what was originally described as an illness, or not feeling well, but he was undergoing tests for a concussion.
    Chris Conte laid a hit into Eric Weems near the end of practice, which didn't make Weems happy, to say the least.
    Kyle Long said afterwards it felt like "I was playing in a game."
    No practice today for the team, but there is football tonight - the Hall of Fame Game kicks off the preseason with a dose of football-like substance, so we'll have an Open Thread ready for you tonight.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    looked through my tweets last night, didn't see anything about the actual game at family night.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    Think Trestie will have to re evaluate some of his camp, there are a ton of lower leg inj's, hammie's, knee, hip. Might have something to do w/the intense speed of practices.

It also could have something to do w/the limited nature of practices b/c of the new cba....seems inj's are happening around all the camps.
  5. jocko

jocko Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I was at Family Fest and Conte did put quite a hard hit on Weems, he was on the ground for awhile. When he got up he was restrained from going after Conte.