Scouts: Peppers “didn't seem like he was into it” for the Bears - gave effort on a few plays/game

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 16, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    This made my blood boil. He game minimal effort and laughed all the way to the bank with the Chicago Bears money. Poor Julius just "wasn't into it" last year for some reason. We paid this man over $80,000,000.00 while he was here in Chicago. But in the end he just couldn't get into it. And gave us 7 or 8 solid snaps per game according to this article. He just mailed it in for the rest of the game. We got robbed.

2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Um, this just sounds like a rumor made up to get views. Either apply something concrete to a piece like this, or don't make it at all.
  3. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I like Peppers, I really do. But watch the film and tell me he wasn't into games thats the concrete you asked for.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +97 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Rumors of Peppers taking plays off have followed him since his Panthers days. Now it will be the Packers who will be getting only 2 games worth of effort out of 16. At least Bushrod & Mills have numerous practice snaps against this clown already.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Can't say I'm all surprised. He was a Lovie fan. I know you guys are gonna wanna hate on me but Im gonna say it. As long as Trestman is here we will have a prolific offense and an abomination of a defense.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    abomination for Trestman's entire career here on Def b/c the Lovie loyalists didn't like Lovie being fired? What about when they are gone? Will it still be an abomination; i'm guessing you mean 25-32 ranked as abmonination.

That's a laughably short sighted statement
    • Like Like x 1
  7. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I dont see a change of much coming, again i think the tables have turned, we go from no offense to a top rated one and vice versa on defense. Can the defense get better? Sure it can, do I see it happening this year? Nope

Its gonna take a solid 2-3 years, a better defense of coord and some good drafting to get this together the right way
  8. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    peppers biggest problem is being THE GUY when people are hurt and out for season even in carolina when starting DT (think was jenkins) went down and he had bad year samething happened his effort was lacking. peppers pretty shy guy in nature and doesn't seem to step his game up when he is all you have on defense he seems to buckle and fold under that pressure. I don;t think it a heart issue certainly not talent issue, More of a mental thing with him. but perhaps he never really bought into Tucker and his idea how pepper should be used and thus quit on him. hard really say for sure but something was different. Just my 2 cents.
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    526ß
    I was on mostly defense growing up in high school. If you can't bring the energy on defense, if you can't get pumped up or pump others up, then you are not going to cut it.

there are a few exceptions, though. I don't see Tillman bringing energy, but I see him busting his ass also.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I think Peps lack of effort was another grown man throwing a hissy fit over Lovie being fired. I think there was ALOT of that crap because some guys loved the cakewalk that was camp Lovie. The inmates ran the prison with Lovie there and his firing got a lot of guys (mostly defensive) panties in a bunch. Urlacher was let go and he was vocal about wanting Lovie to stay. Peppers was another IMO who never mentally got over the change of staff. He gave up on entire games this year. Instead of commanding a double team to help the unit, he would fail to get production and just quit. We don't need that kinda crap on our team. Football is an emotional game like ski mentioned, give me a guy who will give max effort on every play and plays with his heart. Frankly, good riddance Pep, I'm sure you will just quit in GB when Long and Mills are throwing you around.:14_6_5[1]:
    • Like Like x 5
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Yep, and it's ONE of the reasons they didn't want BU back, and one of the reasons that there was going to be a TON of turnover on the team, especially that side of the ball.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Honestly....who cares? He came in, had some decent games, helped our defense for awhile, but his age and huge contract finally caught up to him, so it is simply the time to part ways. Time to move on, rebuild the D for the future.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    You hit the nail on the head. I said last year that I felt Peppers was one who didn't buy into the new regime at all, especially Tucker. He was never out rightly critical but I recall one post game interview where he alluded to some changes in the scheme having an effect on his play. He came to Chicago to play for Lovie and Marinelli and with both gone I think his desire to play out his deal in Chicago waned.

If it had never happened before I may have felt I was imagining it but he did somewhat the exact same thing when he wanted out of Carolina although he has never been completely unproductive and he wasn't last year either. Just under productive is all. I have no doubt he'll kick it up again this year and we'll miss him. I'd rather not play against him twice a year but it is what it is.
  14. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    I said it myself several times last season that Peppers was not giving 100% effort. Part of it is that the Bears were not giving him enough rest time during the games, which is even more important when your defense is horrible and (therefore) on the field for long periods. They should have played CornWash at least enough to give Peppers some rest.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I don't disagree but with McClellin becoming a failure at LDE and all of the starting DTs out or hurt he was it. The other issue it seems to me is the Bears seem to have a feeling or call it a philosophy that we pay you to play so if you're healthy you're supposed to play, every game and as many snaps as possible. They had Bass but he usually came in at LDE. If you want a big paycheck from Phil you have to play for it. Look at how he approached it with Urlacher? He only guaranteed him $1 mil. The other $1 mil he had to earn game by game by staying uninjured. That's pretty much the deal he gave Garza this year.

He could have released Pep and told him to go out and see what his market value was and he'd do his best to match it. He's doing that with Melton and surely Pep is a better player even now than Melton and not anywhere as easy to replace in kind. I think the bottom line is that because Pep didn't play for Tucker last year and Emery decided to keep Tucker around then Pep had to go. I really don't think Phil wanted him back or he would have found a way. Once he had Houston and Young as starters and he'd found Lane and Scott as potential vet backup he could afford to let him go. I wish he hadn't gone to GB but that's the breaks.
  16. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    ^^^^^This is SO true when you see Peppers halfway down the field making tackles that Conte missed. Anyone making plays like that, those don't show up in the box score, not stats stuffers but will take the wind out of your sails. Demoralizing when it happens time and again as well. Factor in the mental factor....by far worst Bears D I've ever seen and probably the worst he'd ever played on. Maybe the most injuries to key players I've seen on a Bears D.
    Now that he's with the Pack though I hope you all are right that he's lousy, Lovie lover, taking plays off, over the hill, lazy, mentally weak, etc. I'd normally wish him well but he signed with the Packers so I hope he's the biggest bust in Packer's history!
  17. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I couldn't agree with you more except with the assumption that Pep didn't play for Tucker. He just doesn't seem that petty to me. I could see he not playing because every position of strength on D was injured and it just became demoralizing. No matter the effort some washed up or no name RB would be running for career games week in and week out. It wasn't Tucker's fault they lacked depth when the injury bug bit and bit hard. Lovie would've been in the same boat as D-Coordinator.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    I wouldn't be so hard on Pep... I'd of had a hard time finding a way to put effort into every play on that horrid Dline myself. The guy is human... seems like a nice enough guy and he did come here for the dynamics of Lovie and that defensive philosophy. Which of us hasn't had a job go south where we ended up in a situation where we wanted to move on?

I have.... let him without sin cast the first stone.
  19. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    i realize the D was bad last year but "some" of you talk like the injury bug didn't strike again lmao It's been a theme for years around here. Once we think the stars have aligned, this guy gets hurt...then that guy...then the other guy...then his replacement...and his replacement...

Maybe I'm one of the rare people who can actually see the change Emery is making...Peppers needed to go regardless of if he took plays off or not. I like Peppers, i really do, but in the NFL turnover is common and sometimes you have to grab the young guys that can bring you future success even if that move has a learning/developmental curve that doesn't equal the same production at the time it occurs.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The only reason I say that Billie is that in a post game or maybe it was a mid week interview with a whole bunch of reporters with their mics stuck in his face he was asked if the scheme they were playing was having an effect on his declining productivity. Pep is too classy to have used it as a convenient excuse but he didn't dispel that notion either. It was more of "well what do you think" statement he finished with but he was looking down as he said it not into their eyes. His body language said he was being somewhat dishonest answering that question.

I'm not claiming he just "mailed it in" last year, and I believe as you and David do that the circumstances surrounding the whole defense made doing his job more difficult, but I also believe Tucker altered his basic assignments enough some games that it did have an effect on his stats. What makes me believe that's true is that he dominated again in a couple of games and one was that loss to Minny and he told Trestman before the game even began that he as gonna tear it up that day and he sure as hell did. Whether it was because Tucker allowed him more freedom to rush and disrupt that day or he just felt strong and on top of his game I don't know but I do know that when he wanted to "bring it" he did. Pep's not a quitter but he's not a huge Tucker guy either.

So when he says that he still has a lot left in his tank I don't doubt it. And I think he'll probably be chomping at the bit to show that in at least two games I can think of. All I can say is to repeat what I already have. I'd much rather have played 16 games with him than two games against him but it just wasn't to be. Expecting him to utterly fail in GB is even beyond a wet dream though. He won't.