Seattle Says Bennett Won't Be Tagged.........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 3, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Seahawks won't franchsie DE Bennett
    By The Sports Xchange 51 minutes ago The SportsXchange
    0 shares

Defensive end Michael Bennett was adamant about not giving the Seattle Seahawks a "Costco discount" in contract negotiations, and general manager John Schneider dismissed the notion of using the franchise tag to retain him.
    The door is officially open for Bennett to pursue opportunities on the open market as an unrestricted free agent March 11.

"This is not Costco, this isn't Wal-Mart, this is real life," said the loquacious Bennett, who could join his brother Martellus, a tight end with the Chicago Bears, a team expected to be one of Michael Bennett's suitors on the open market.

A versatile defensive end who played some defensive tackle on passing downs for the Seahawks, Bennett proved his value on a one-year, $5 million deal with Seattle in 2013.

Seattle isn't flush with cap space and already parted with defensive end Red Bryant and wide receiver Sidney Rice. Defensive tackles Tony McDaniel and Clinton McDonald are also unrestricted free agents, and defensive end Chris Clemons is a candidate to be released if he doesn't work out a restructured deal with the team. Bennett had 8.5 sacks in the regular season with the Seahawks.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The door is open for the Bears to explore what he's after money wise. It should be interesting to see if they have any serious interest.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Im assuming the Bears DO have interest, since DE/T is definitely high on the Needs list. Combine that with re-uniting with his brother, that alone should make things interesting.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I think you're right Jimmors. We can't rule it out since the two positions he plays are a direct fit for what the Bears need. Hardy was the #1 DE free agent and Bennett is pretty much a consensus #2. The fact that he could play LDE and move inside is exactly what the Bears have looked for at that position. I don't know that he's the right guy for RDE but if they plan on releasing Pep they need someone who can play that side as well and it's either bring back Wootton and see who plays where or drafting a DE.

There's enough cap room to sign one costly FA and Emery has shown a willingness to do that and even overpay a bit of the need is severe enough. He did that with Bushrod last year. With Wootton seemingly hitting FA and the high degree of likelihood that Pep will be gone too they need DEs so it does make some sense especially with Martellus here.
  5. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    im gonna say it once more - Bennet would be aperfect fit for us. besides i have a feeling it would be hilarious to have 2 of those lunatics
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,054 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,300ß
    We will see. Though articles have said he doesn't really care if his brother wants to play with him, because he wants to stay in Seattle. That is his top choice.

I would love to see him come here, but family ties only go so far. Seahawks have a great shot at being a dynasty.
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    OK, I have a question for you guys. I do not watch a lot of Seahawks games, and I never noticed this guy before this year. From what VERY little I saw (and even less that I paid real attention), he's looked OK, but I really have to plead ignorance here. I really like Marty, but that really doesn't matter. Can anyone on here really share an honest opinion on him aside from his "new fan favorite" brother playing us and advocating for him. Is he actually worth big money?

Again, not putting him down or praising him, I just really don't know enough about him to say.
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,054 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,300ß
    He will never be known as a franchise changer, or the best defensive player on his team, but he is a quality player who would go a long way to improve our DL
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    No such thing as a Dynasty anymore in the NFL. Closest and last one we had was the Patriots in the early aughts, but that is more because of Bellicheck+Brady than any other factor.

If you have a GREAT team, then this is what happens: you can't afford your star vets for long, and the talented rookies are going to want to hit FA and maximize their earning potential. There is only so much money to go around, and teams simply can not afford to keep a Dynasty going. And then you have Injuries...look at the toll it took on GB the past few years, and us this year.

That, plus the "Any Given Sunday" maxim pretty much means no Dynasties. Will they have chances to win their Division for years to come? Sure. They may even win another SB. But not a dynasty.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,369 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    396ß
    That's how I see it too from watching and reading about him. He isn't a Peppers-in-his-prime but he'd be a major upgrade for us. I think Emery needs to make a serious run at signing him. The stars have aligned to give us an opportunity here with Seattle basically punting him to FA.
  11. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    He is pretty good... not a game changer and his performance was certainly helped by the fact that Seattle is stacked across the board. I'd overpay slightly for him simply because he does fit a glaring need but don't expect him to come in and transform the defense. He is one piece of the puzzle.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

LMAO! Yeah, it would be like, "you mean there two of them"? Is there enough room in this town for both Bennett Bros.?
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,054 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,300ß
    Can the Bears handle three Bennetts?
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,369 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    396ß
    We are dangerously close to going over the Bennett-cap.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Sign him would sure give the Defense a big lift.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I saw a lot of him in the Super Bowl where he was playing DT next to the LDE. He can push the pile and he can penetrate and he put inside pressure on Manning all game long. He's more DE size than DT size (6'4" 275lbs) but he could easily play at LDE and DT and fill the role Izzy and Wootton did in 2012. He seems to be pretty strong for is size and he's has good quickness if not top speed. I think he's far more of a left side guy than he is a RDE replacement for Pep but he's also a guy you could move around.

The thing is he's not just a one year wonder who came out of nowhere. He had 9 sacks, 41 tackles and 3 forced fumbles in 16 games with TB in 2012 and you have to wonder why they let him walk. This year he had 8.5 sacks, 31 tackles and 1 forced fumble yet played in a rotation and started only 3 games. His arrow is definitely pointing up. He got a 1 year deal for $5 mil in 2012 and I know Seattle wants to keep him but they won't tag him for the $9.6 to $13.1 mil he'd get depending on whether he's considered a DE or a DT.

I believe to sign him the Bears would be looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of the deal they gave Bushrod last year so your looking at around $35 mil for 5 years with some upfront money. I think like Bushrod he isn't the top DE in the NFL but he's a guy you can depend on to give you some sacks and pressures and you can win with him as it's obvious Seattle did. He was an pretty important contributor. But Seattle are letting Red Bryant and Chris Clemons go so I believe they're gonna sign him anyway.

I think one of the reasons the Bears are dragging their feet on Pep is that there may not be any FAs available to replace him.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,369 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    396ß
    As you said, Soul, I see Bennett as similar to what his brother and Jermon Bushrod were for us last year. Neither of those latter two guys were/are All-Pros or probably even in the very top tier at their positions in the NFL. But they're both above-average, solid players and major upgrades over what we had before.

We aren't getting a Peppers--the one of a few years ago--replacement this year anywhere. Not in FA and not in the draft (Clowney being the only one qualified and he will be a top-5 pick). I'm not expecting that out of Emery in FA. I just want him to "hit singles and doubles" so to speak on the DL and secondary. Then we go to the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Earl's the quiet one so he's the counter balance to the others but they'd need to put more than just initials on the jerseys along with last names since Martellus and Michael both start with an M. Maybe for Martellus his can just say B. Unicorn.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    A lot of people said Emery over paid for Bushrod based on his past performance and yet the guy came in and stabilized the LT spot better than we've seen it in years. So I think we have to mark that up as a good move and even more so because he was one of the few LTs available and we were desperate enough to solve the problem that we had to spend the money.

We may well end up in that same situation this year with DEs and if Emery sees Bennett as a solution and he's willing to give the guy a $35-$40 mil deal then maybe he becomes a Bear. That may be overpaying a bit too but that happens when they need is great and it's a very short list of players who can help. Hardy got tagged and so did Orakpo and Jared Allen isn't much younger than Pep so of those left I see Bennett and Everson Griffen from the Vikes as probably next up but both teams will probably try to re-sign those guys.

Based on past history we know this much. If Phil is looking at either of them we'll know very soon after FA begins. The deal will get done between the 8th and the 11th when player agents can shop their guys and on the 11th it'll be announced. If it doesn't happen then it's probably not going to and we'll hear who he did sign if anyone. If they don't get them signed this week we should know fairly quickly on Melton, Wootton and Peanut as well and probably McCown. I'm sure the Bears have put offers for them together or told them to check out the market and asked them to be given an opportunity to match it.

Emery always has a plan and never give much indication of what he's thinking. He's probably a hell of a good poker player. By this time next week we should have a very good idea of whose staying and whose already gone.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Thanks for the input fellas, that helps. I really don't expect him or anyone else to be a Peppers type, and if he was, I would have already known him. The fact that I needed some guidance kind of says that he is nothing like a Julius Peppers. However, I would prefer to have two "good" to "very good" bookend DE's than one superstar and a weaker than average LDE. I've always liked Pep and I'm glad we've been able to see him play as a Bear, but I knew when we went out and got him for the contract we did that we would eventually regret it. That contract itself has prevented us from addressing other defensive needs over the past few years, and his play, while very good, has not been at the level we've been paying for. Again, not putting the guy down because he is a physical freak, just saying that it was a dumb contract that wasn't worth it overall. So, I'm fine with NOT going out and paying for the next Julius Peppers. Frankly, the sound of Bennett, Whooten and a high draft pick sounds pretty good to me. Whooten kind of disappeared this year, but I believe that's largely because he had to play out of position at DT through a large part of the season. In 2012, he was coming along nicely at DE and I also think Shea has stolen some of his premium time.