Seattle Says Bennett Won't Be Tagged.........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 3, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Seahawks won't franchsie DE Bennett
    By The Sports Xchange 51 minutes ago The SportsXchange
    0 shares

Defensive end Michael Bennett was adamant about not giving the Seattle Seahawks a "Costco discount" in contract negotiations, and general manager John Schneider dismissed the notion of using the franchise tag to retain him.
    The door is officially open for Bennett to pursue opportunities on the open market as an unrestricted free agent March 11.

"This is not Costco, this isn't Wal-Mart, this is real life," said the loquacious Bennett, who could join his brother Martellus, a tight end with the Chicago Bears, a team expected to be one of Michael Bennett's suitors on the open market.

A versatile defensive end who played some defensive tackle on passing downs for the Seahawks, Bennett proved his value on a one-year, $5 million deal with Seattle in 2013.

Seattle isn't flush with cap space and already parted with defensive end Red Bryant and wide receiver Sidney Rice. Defensive tackles Tony McDaniel and Clinton McDonald are also unrestricted free agents, and defensive end Chris Clemons is a candidate to be released if he doesn't work out a restructured deal with the team. Bennett had 8.5 sacks in the regular season with the Seahawks.

2. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

The door is open for the Bears to explore what he's after money wise. It should be interesting to see if they have any serious interest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors
    Expand Collapse
    The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

Im assuming the Bears DO have interest, since DE/T is definitely high on the Needs list. Combine that with re-uniting with his brother, that alone should make things interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I think you're right Jimmors. We can't rule it out since the two positions he plays are a direct fit for what the Bears need. Hardy was the #1 DE free agent and Bennett is pretty much a consensus #2. The fact that he could play LDE and move inside is exactly what the Bears have looked for at that position. I don't know that he's the right guy for RDE but if they plan on releasing Pep they need someone who can play that side as well and it's either bring back Wootton and see who plays where or drafting a DE.

There's enough cap room to sign one costly FA and Emery has shown a willingness to do that and even overpay a bit of the need is severe enough. He did that with Bushrod last year. With Wootton seemingly hitting FA and the high degree of likelihood that Pep will be gone too they need DEs so it does make some sense especially with Martellus here.

5. a_miljan

a_miljan
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

im gonna say it once more - Bennet would be aperfect fit for us. besides i have a feeling it would be hilarious to have 2 of those lunatics

• Like Like x 2
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

We will see. Though articles have said he doesn't really care if his brother wants to play with him, because he wants to stay in Seattle. That is his top choice.

I would love to see him come here, but family ties only go so far. Seahawks have a great shot at being a dynasty.

7. 4dabers

4dabers
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

OK, I have a question for you guys. I do not watch a lot of Seahawks games, and I never noticed this guy before this year. From what VERY little I saw (and even less that I paid real attention), he's looked OK, but I really have to plead ignorance here. I really like Marty, but that really doesn't matter. Can anyone on here really share an honest opinion on him aside from his "new fan favorite" brother playing us and advocating for him. Is he actually worth big money?

Again, not putting him down or praising him, I just really don't know enough about him to say.

8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

He will never be known as a franchise changer, or the best defensive player on his team, but he is a quality player who would go a long way to improve our DL

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors
    Expand Collapse
    The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

No such thing as a Dynasty anymore in the NFL. Closest and last one we had was the Patriots in the early aughts, but that is more because of Bellicheck+Brady than any other factor.

If you have a GREAT team, then this is what happens: you can't afford your star vets for long, and the talented rookies are going to want to hit FA and maximize their earning potential. There is only so much money to go around, and teams simply can not afford to keep a Dynasty going. And then you have Injuries...look at the toll it took on GB the past few years, and us this year.

That, plus the "Any Given Sunday" maxim pretty much means no Dynasties. Will they have chances to win their Division for years to come? Sure. They may even win another SB. But not a dynasty.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

That's how I see it too from watching and reading about him. He isn't a Peppers-in-his-prime but he'd be a major upgrade for us. I think Emery needs to make a serious run at signing him. The stars have aligned to give us an opportunity here with Seattle basically punting him to FA.