Seeing A LOT of people bashing Conte

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 20, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    ...in several threads, stating that "FS is NOW one of our needs", and that "Conte needs to be BENCHED ASAP because he is KILLING US out there." Does this mean that the board's opinion of Conte has drastically changed over the course of the past 3 weeks? I only ask because when I (along with Henry) called out Conte a few weeks ago, a lot of people rushed to his defense, blaming the DL for most of his troubles. Is this no longer the case? I posted that scathing anonymous scouting report on him, and a lot of people here seemed to discount it out of hand. Is it safe to assume that they have changed their tune? I tried to tell you guys that he is almost ALWAYS out of position, barely making it onto my television screen as our defense surrenders yet another 30+ yard reception.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    Well to be fair, no DB is going to play well w/out the front 4 getting pressure, but Conte is especially bad. He's just bad, you and Henry didn't need to convince me of that, I said the Bears needed safties in FA or the draft and no one believed me. But it was the case, the Bears DB's, outside Tillman/Jennings constantly get beat regardless of pressure.
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    We have been weak at this position since Brown broke. Conte ended up being serviceable compared to others they have tried at the position. He's below average at best that tells you how bad we have been at that position since Brown. I'm sure if you have a better player in your back pocket they would like to know about it.

Did anyone see Lance ripping on Major? When the wheels come off everything just falls apart. This's only going to get worse with progression of season for the D. Once the O can't match the other teams O production this going to become a F'n nightmare.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    Chris Conte has ONLY made a good play, because he happened to be "at the right place, at the right time". He's slow, doesn't read the quarterback well, and falls for a pump fake too often. The only reason he's been skating by, until now, is that he's had more interceptions than just about any other safety in a while, and people tend to equate that with being "good".

Also, Charles Tillman is getting WAY too much benefit of the doubt from Bears fans. "Well, he's been hurt" is the only defense for his play that anyone can come up with. How many good games has he had this season? Yeah, he's gotten a few turnovers, himself, but that overshadows the fact that WR's CAN burn him this season, unlike previous seasons. Granted, a bad defensive line is GOING to make cornerbacks look worse than what they're playing, but, if he weren't "Peanut", he'd be getting rightfully criticized.
  5. Styx

Styx

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You guys are gripping on Conte i shake my head and wonder where is Major Wright at. Of course Conte is gonna be out of position if he has to cover the whole field side to side.Think about Major Wright before you throw Conte under the bus for a moment.
  6. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH

Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    Conte could get replaced and I wouldn't hurt us for sure. He can't tackle.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    If you'd like I'm sure no one would mind if Major was replaced also. Both safeties are replaceable, and that's part of the problem
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    He was the only glaring weak spot in our secondary last year. That's why we played so much Cover-3, so Tillman would cover more ground, to make up for Major Wright's deficiencies in the pass D. While Major Wright is a liability, Conte is no better.
  9. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +598 / 2 / -1

Ahhh, the proverbial "I told you so" post. Congrats, most members don't get to pull that out soon enough for everyone to remember that they actually said something.

As for Conte, I defended him, and will still do so. Is he a pro-bowler? No. But, he also isn't the big issue. Understanding the cover 2 defense and more specifically the secondary's role as I do, I recognize the interdependence of the positions. No pass rush, poor run defense forcing him to play closer to the LOS, bad play by backup CB's also has to do something with the environment, oh and playing 1 deep doesn't make things easier. He could definitely play better though.

He did have two bad plays that both were scoring throws, but the last one of them he shouldn't have been 1on1 with the WR at all.

So yeah, kudos on the "I told you so", I'm sure the warmth of that personal win makes the fall chill bearable (yes, intended).
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. short faced bear

short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,066 / 0 / -1
    I was reading a tweet by Matt Bowen I believe in where he says that even in cover-2 the DB's weren't reading their keys nor attaining their depth in landmarks. Funny seeing as how last year when they did a basic coverage scheme they were very good at it.

From the lack of pass rush, to playcalling, to lack of fundamentals I place at Tuckers feet. Players have devolved but that doesn't mean you dump 'em.
  11. Tarkus

Tarkus

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    Conte's definitely an issue but just 1 of many. If we take the 'Conte approach', we'll be seeing a flood of threads about quite a few guys.

This whole D is playing like a bunch of sand lot players at times & that's simply a coaching issue. Age? Of course...to a degree, but 'old' players are a step or 2 off the action where ours are in a different zip code at times.

Yea, Tucker's new & all that, but personally tired of seeing this new version of a Bear D...