Serious question - What REALLY happened to Rex Grossman?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 19, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    I am just curious as to what you guys think happened to him during the 2006 season. I mean, at the outset of said season, I think were were ALL pumped up over his play. After the first 5 weeks, it actually looked like we had a promising, young QB who could sling the ball all over the field while routinely putting up 30+ points a game. Then Bad Rex first reared his ugly head in the infamous Cardinals game, and we all know what happened after that. Good Rex one week...Bad Rex the next 2 weeks, rinse, repeat, etc. So what happened? I have always heard that it was a simple case of opposing defenses/defensive coordinators "figuring Rex out." That is to say, DC's realized that the ONLY thing Rex could do was bomb the ball deep down the field, so they made a conscious effort to take that way b providing deep safety help to both corners all of the time. This forced Rex to throw more intermediate passes, over the middle of the field, which (for whatever reason) he COULD NOT do.

Am I correct in my assessment of why Rex went to hell all of a sudden in 2006, or is it a little more complicated than that? I would appreciate your thoughts.
  2. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    short, small hands and limited mobility (made worse by acl tear and a broken ankle)...once the teams realized how soft we were in the middle of the oline they pressured up the middle and took away the throwing lanes for intermediate passes and forced the ball out before the wr's could get down field...the good rex/bad rex was just as much good oline and bad oline, imo
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    MikeV, thanks for the insightful response. I had never heard that before. So are you saying that, in your opinion, the whole "Good Rex/Bad Rex" dynamic wasn't the result of his inability to: A-read defenses and B-throw accurate, intermediate passes over the middle of the field?
  4. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    I don't want to take all the blame off of rex (he clearly had his faults); but at the same time I wish more people realized he wasn't the only reason for the struggles...look at his games in houston and washington, when given protection he reads the defense just fine and makes all the throws, off the top of my head I believe he even had a 400 yd game or two in there.
  5. Bear_40

Bear_40 Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Agree. Rex didn't have a stellar Oline and he went as they went. Much like Cutler the lady few years. Now with a line we're seeing more good Jay then bad.
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +601 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    244ß
    Only 1 thing you forgot he doesn't have it upstairs to play the position at this level. Just like you said with his size and ability once the D figured out you shut down his sight lines he becomes a turnover machine. The D doesn't even have to disrupt him just block his vision then stick a fork in him he's done. He's 3rd string on team name that can't be said. There's a person making the most out of his limited skill set and riding the pines better than Mike Tomczak.
  7. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +275 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    i just think that rex was not good enough of a qb, esp. for our oline simple as that. maybe if the situation was different his liability wouldnt show so much, it was all in his character... for example if he was mcmahon brash type he would do way better
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    586ß
    Early season ending injuries caused by bad OL... Lost confidence.....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We had the easiest schedule in the NFL in 2006.
  10. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    586ß
    Thanks for adding to the discussion as to what happened to Rex..... by saying nothing to add to the conversation of any use
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    586ß
    BUT since you keep bringing this up, lets look at it a second.

Going into the season, you are correct. The Bears had the easiest schedule. But as anyone with any brains know, a team can go from weak and easy to tough and difficult.

When all was said and done, at the end of 2006 they had the second easiest (winning percentage wise) BUT that year they played 10 of their 16 games against teams with a winning record (tied for third most) and they played against 7 teams which made the playoffs (again, tied for seventh most).

A big factor in the poor winning percentage of opponents comes from the 3-13 Lions.

http://www.everyjoe.com/2007/04/13/sports/nfl-strength-of-schedule-2007/

So, was their 2006 schedule really that easy? No.
  12. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +601 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    244ß
    Rex went to a SB so that makes him better than Cutler, Romo, Matt Ryan, Stafford......Good thing Marino went at least one SB because he could have been better than him too. Rex yes he's been to SB as long as you ignore everything else that happened that year or what he's done in last 8 years since he's a SB QB that's all that matters to the blind.
  13. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    590ß
    Slow your role there, jabroni.

I made an extensive post on this subject about Lovie's mediocrity back on the old board, specifically noting our infamous 2006 season. We only played one (or was it two, i forget) teams that had a record above .500. Rex greatly benefited from a VERY easy schedule that year, and our Defense and ST was playing lights out, so he did not have to carry the team, he simply had to perform "average."

So while his post did not provide any depth, it is still correct.
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    586ß
    Not quite
  15. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    590ß
    yes, quite.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2006.htm

We only played 3 teams that season that finished with a record over .500 (9-7) or better:

Seattle (9-7), won
    Jets (10-6), won
    Pats (12-4), lost

If you include the Playoffs:
    Seattle (Again, 9-7), won
    New Orleans (10-6), won
    Indy (12-4), lost.

So, the Bears (including playoffs) only faced 5 teams with winning records, and they never beat a team that season that was 11-5 or better. Bears beat up mediocre and crappy teams that season, and lost to GOOD teams (Pats, Indy)
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    586ß
    I think you are looking at strength of schedule based on what teams did in 2005. The link I posted was what the real records were with what those teams did in 2006 when the Bears played them.
  17. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    590ß
    I think you got it backwards, YOUR link is probably based off of 2005. I posted a pro-football-reference link...go look at our schedule, click the individual teams, and it will show you what they finished in 2006, and verify my numbers. trust me, i researched all of this months ago on the old board when i did my "lovie was mediocre" post, i paid special attention to that particular season because it stood out compared to the rest, and i found out what i just told you: that we beat up mediocre teams, lost to good ones, and only faced 3 that even finished above .500 in '06
  18. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    590ß
    Here's the 06 standings for reference:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2006/

NFCN was garbage that year. in fact, looking back on it...most of the league was garbage that year. Only 5 teams finished with records above 11-5, we were the ONLY ones in the NFC, and we lost to 2 of the 4 in the AFC (Pats and Indy), and we never played the other two (Chargers, Ravens)
  19. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    586ß
    My apologies to you then Jimmors. The strength of schedule I was looking at was done by a completely mentally challenge dipshit.

But my point still stands in relation to CCB. What does the strength of schedule have to do with what happened to Rex
  20. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    590ß
    Stick with pro-reference, they are an excellent site for stats.

It simply explains that even in his "best" year, he wasnt all that great, he simply benefited from an easy schedule. He was a mediocre QB, some games he looked like a future Hall of Famer, others, he was downright horrible, but overall, he was "average."