Serious question - What REALLY happened to Rex Grossman?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 19, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I am just curious as to what you guys think happened to him during the 2006 season. I mean, at the outset of said season, I think were were ALL pumped up over his play. After the first 5 weeks, it actually looked like we had a promising, young QB who could sling the ball all over the field while routinely putting up 30+ points a game. Then Bad Rex first reared his ugly head in the infamous Cardinals game, and we all know what happened after that. Good Rex one week...Bad Rex the next 2 weeks, rinse, repeat, etc. So what happened? I have always heard that it was a simple case of opposing defenses/defensive coordinators "figuring Rex out." That is to say, DC's realized that the ONLY thing Rex could do was bomb the ball deep down the field, so they made a conscious effort to take that way b providing deep safety help to both corners all of the time. This forced Rex to throw more intermediate passes, over the middle of the field, which (for whatever reason) he COULD NOT do.

Am I correct in my assessment of why Rex went to hell all of a sudden in 2006, or is it a little more complicated than that? I would appreciate your thoughts.

2. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    short, small hands and limited mobility (made worse by acl tear and a broken ankle)...once the teams realized how soft we were in the middle of the oline they pressured up the middle and took away the throwing lanes for intermediate passes and forced the ball out before the wr's could get down field...the good rex/bad rex was just as much good oline and bad oline, imo

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    MikeV, thanks for the insightful response. I had never heard that before. So are you saying that, in your opinion, the whole "Good Rex/Bad Rex" dynamic wasn't the result of his inability to: A-read defenses and B-throw accurate, intermediate passes over the middle of the field?

4. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    I don't want to take all the blame off of rex (he clearly had his faults); but at the same time I wish more people realized he wasn't the only reason for the struggles...look at his games in houston and washington, when given protection he reads the defense just fine and makes all the throws, off the top of my head I believe he even had a 400 yd game or two in there.

5. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +101 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    199ß
    Agree. Rex didn't have a stellar Oline and he went as they went. Much like Cutler the lady few years. Now with a line we're seeing more good Jay then bad.

6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +764 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    Only 1 thing you forgot he doesn't have it upstairs to play the position at this level. Just like you said with his size and ability once the D figured out you shut down his sight lines he becomes a turnover machine. The D doesn't even have to disrupt him just block his vision then stick a fork in him he's done. He's 3rd string on team name that can't be said. There's a person making the most out of his limited skill set and riding the pines better than Mike Tomczak.

7. a_miljan

a_miljan Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +529 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    604ß
    i just think that rex was not good enough of a qb, esp. for our oline simple as that. maybe if the situation was different his liability wouldnt show so much, it was all in his character... for example if he was mcmahon brash type he would do way better

8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,798 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,860ß
    Early season ending injuries caused by bad OL... Lost confidence.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We had the easiest schedule in the NFL in 2006.

10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,798 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,860ß
    Thanks for adding to the discussion as to what happened to Rex..... by saying nothing to add to the conversation of any use