Short Tidbit From Kiper on Bears' Draft Needs

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Nov 6, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    What do you guys think?

Chicago Bears

Biggest area of need: defensive line/secondary

The Bears took steps in recent drafts and free agency toward becoming more of an offensive-oriented team, but general manager Phil Emery surely is learning this season the defense is going to require his attention, especially the front four. Given the team's issues rushing the passer and stopping the run, the Bears need to add talent and depth at defensive tackle and defensive end. But Emery will also need to replenish other areas on defense, most notably the secondary. Contracts for cornerbacks Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings expire after the season, as does the K of safety Major Wright. Expect the DL and the Secondary to be the two areas which Emery focuses on in FA and the 2014 draft.

-- Michael C. Wright

Kiper's Top Chicago prospects:
    Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina | Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon | Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida

Kiper's Draft analysis: The Bears have had to get creative on the defensive line because of injuries, and I certainly think they will be drafting to bolster that group. Timmy Jernigan of Florida State is a player who could fit. Jernigan is athletic for his size and can both disrupt the pocket and scrape down the line to make plays against the run. Stephon Tuitt of Notre Dame could be someone to watch, because he's another player who offers versatility, with a combination of size and speed to move around. A first-round sleeper to watch would be athletically gifted Ra'Shede Hageman of Minnesota. Chicago is in desperate need of young, athletic, playmakers on the DL.

-- Mel Kiper Jr.
  2. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Helmet Hair has been discredited in my eyes. Back when Mike Williams (? Lions bust) was in college, he said he would be a HOFer in the NFL.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,068 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    We need somebody who can stop the run. We currently are 29th in the NFL in run defense (LINK). We're giving up 4.4 yards a play against the run. Pretty hard to win that way. The tackles just get tossed aside like rag dolls. Of course, we're almost as bad rushing the passer. We're 28th in the NFL in sacks (LINK).
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    No to Clowney. His stock has fallen significantly imo along with his work ethic.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß

So, Emery just needs to draft a mamamoth, run-stuffing DT and an elite pass-rushing DE in the first two rounds. No biggie. Than he can focus on finding a hard-hitting safety who has a nose for the ball (i.e. - who is NEVER out of position) and a promising prospect at QB whom Trestman can mold into a future elite NFL QB.
    • Like Like x 6
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,068 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    That would be a nice start in this coming draft. My wish list goes way beyond THAT meager list :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +538 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    133ß
    A highly athetic playmaker named Ra'shede? Coming from Minnesota? Where have I heard that before?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +643 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    287ß
    1st round: defense
    2nd round: defense
    3rd round: defense
    4th round: defense
    5th round: defense
    6th round: defense

Yeah, sounds about right.
  9. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    we need a qb
  10. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    With the terrible injuries to the d line at least we see some small semblance of depth with Bass, and perhaps Ratliff. If McC comes on and Collins and Wootton comes back I could see moving Paea to 3tech for depth (don't think we'll keep Melton). Pep will most likely be gone so getting a NT in the draft and a DE in FA (or vice versa) would be quite doable.

Get either a SS or FS in the second round (or FA) if FA then a second round CB for depth as I think we could still sign both Jennings and Peanut with the penny pinching of Emery. Boggs would be the center of the future then we would just need a slot WR and a backup QB somewhere in the mix.

I have no idea what to do w/Tucker though lol.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,663 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    Okay, I'm not a big fan of the college game, I've heard of clowney, but he's not going to go anywhere near when the Bears draft, what do you college fans know about Jernigan, Tuitt, or Hageman?
  12. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm an ND fan and have watched every game of the season so far. Tuitt's production has been reduced because of a hernia surgery this offseason but he's back to around full speed now. He's good, probably a bit overrated but some speculate he could play either tackle or end in a 4-3.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    thanks for the scouting report, zelezo.
  14. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm no scout, so make sure to take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm just regurgitating things I've read.
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,663 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    I'll take things you've read over what you saw w/a biased eye(no offense). I like it when people watch and read and then combine the two.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Only way I'm taking Clowney is if we are at 15+ and we have no better option for us. The DL needs work. Our Secondary needs work and we need a, and a real qb not some 6th round prayer. I just like the idea of BPA at a handful of positions. I dont think we need to lock into one or the other just have a list of names at specific positions and see who is there when were up. Even with all the mocks and everything else feb-april draft day is always crazy and unpredictable.
  17. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Oh no offense taken. Tuitt has a ton of talent for the college level. Heck at 6'6 300 some pounds he outran the entire Navy team for a fumble recovery for a touchdown. He's not a lock to leave this year so I wouldn't consider him an option until he officially declares (especially since his first four or five games were bad).
  18. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß

meh, I bet you still have a better eye for talent than Angelo did! ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,232 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    293ß
    So did Stevie Wonder
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    We have two damn good QBs, yes we need to draft a QB just not next year. Redoing the Defense is the most important thing in next years draft. Once we have that we can start looking for players to keep the future going strong.
    • Like Like x 3