Should Bears target CB Brandon Flowers?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Jun 15, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,561ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...randon-flowers-released-by-kansas-city-chiefs

Brandon Flowers released by Kansas City Chiefs

The Kansas City Chiefs have seen enough of Brandon Flowers.
    The cornerback confirmed Friday on Twitter that he's been released by the team that picked him in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
    The Chiefs later confirmed the release of their former Pro Bowl cover man.
    The parting isn't a shock after Flowers reportedly was dangled as trade bait before last month's draft.
    His weighty $5.25 million salary for 2014 dimmed the prospects of being shopped, but Flowers' looming $2 million training camp bonus made this a clear-cut decision for general manager John Dorsey.
    Kansas City also has to think about new contracts for quarterback Alex Smith and pass-rusher Justin Houston.
    Flowers floundered last season in coordinator Bob Sutton's press-heavy outfit. He played a career-high 56 percent of his snaps in the slot, but he "didn't like that," according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.
    Flowers won't be out of work for long. He still offers starting-level talent in the right scheme. Dan Pompei of Bleacher Report was told by a handful of scouts last month that the 28-year-old corner is still seen as a "tough, scrappy player who is an above-average cover man."
    Rapoport noted that Atlanta -- with former Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli in the front office -- might show interest. The Falcons have been monitoring the cornerback's status and "preparing in case Flowers was cut."
    As for other potential landing spots, our friend Chris Wesseling has a thought or two:

Chris Wesseling @ChrisWesseling Follow
    Brandon Flowers had his best seasons under GM Pioli (Falcons), exec Ray Farmer (Browns), coach Haley (Steelers), DC Crennel (Texans).

--------------------

2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,500ß
    I would test the waters, see what the price tag was. Can use all the secondary help we can get.

3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,479ß
    I was just going to bring up the cost; there isn't a ton of room left in the reserves, if inj's happen, and they will got to have some left in the tank.

4. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,425ß
    Well, this would solidify our secondary. I mean who else could we get?

Any chance we can restructure his old contract? Obviously I'm sure he would if it means a job.

Plus everyone seems to be flocking to us for a reason.

5. little bear

little bear
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,561ß
    There's nothing Cliff Stein can't do.

6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,425ß

I do think his price is too high, especially after his needs aren't seen by the other team. I'm not familiar with this dude, but if KC dropped him, I'm betting he's their version of Peppers?

7. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    We really wouldn't need to. Once KC released him that old contract is void. He and his agent can start negotiating with other teams on a new one now.

IMHO I wouldn't pursue him for two reasons. First and foremost is that we can't afford him. He's still young and he'll be looking for something similar to what he was getting which would but him in the same neighborhood as the deal we gave Jennings. The second reason is where do we put him? Who do you bench so he can play?

Tillman and Jennings won't sit. If anything they're as good or better than he is in this defense. The article says he didn't care for playing Slot CB so that limits him to playing LCB and then what do we do with Fuller who they plan to play there when Jennings move inside? Somebody would have to sit then and I don't know who it would be.

I don't think this is a guy who'd come onboard for a low dollar deal and unless he was willing to do that we really can't afford to pay him what I believe he'll want. No harm in window shopping but as far as a purchase goes I can't see how we'd do it.

8. mdbearz

mdbearz
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    294ß
    I guy that "does not like" to play in the slot means he is not concerned about what the team needs him to do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,425ß
    I just don't this kid. I was thinking we could use him as depth.

Honestly, while I like Tillman, he's aging and I can't see him making the whole season without an injury.

10. Bearstuff

Bearstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    847ß
    He's certainly better than Isaiah Frey, but the cost is likely prohibitive. Plus I like the locker room that Trestman is putting together. I don't think he fits from that standpoint, and at this point I wouldn't want to mess with that. Costly, Problem, No.