Should Bears target CB Brandon Flowers?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Jun 15, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +991 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...randon-flowers-released-by-kansas-city-chiefs

Brandon Flowers released by Kansas City Chiefs

The Kansas City Chiefs have seen enough of Brandon Flowers.
    The cornerback confirmed Friday on Twitter that he's been released by the team that picked him in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
    The Chiefs later confirmed the release of their former Pro Bowl cover man.
    The parting isn't a shock after Flowers reportedly was dangled as trade bait before last month's draft.
    His weighty $5.25 million salary for 2014 dimmed the prospects of being shopped, but Flowers' looming $2 million training camp bonus made this a clear-cut decision for general manager John Dorsey.
    Kansas City also has to think about new contracts for quarterback Alex Smith and pass-rusher Justin Houston.
    Flowers floundered last season in coordinator Bob Sutton's press-heavy outfit. He played a career-high 56 percent of his snaps in the slot, but he "didn't like that," according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.
    Flowers won't be out of work for long. He still offers starting-level talent in the right scheme. Dan Pompei of Bleacher Report was told by a handful of scouts last month that the 28-year-old corner is still seen as a "tough, scrappy player who is an above-average cover man."
    Rapoport noted that Atlanta -- with former Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli in the front office -- might show interest. The Falcons have been monitoring the cornerback's status and "preparing in case Flowers was cut."
    As for other potential landing spots, our friend Chris Wesseling has a thought or two:

Chris Wesseling @ChrisWesseling Follow
    Brandon Flowers had his best seasons under GM Pioli (Falcons), exec Ray Farmer (Browns), coach Haley (Steelers), DC Crennel (Texans).

--------------------
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,567ß
    I would test the waters, see what the price tag was. Can use all the secondary help we can get.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,620 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    I was just going to bring up the cost; there isn't a ton of room left in the reserves, if inj's happen, and they will got to have some left in the tank.
  4. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    Well, this would solidify our secondary. I mean who else could we get?

Any chance we can restructure his old contract? Obviously I'm sure he would if it means a job.

Plus everyone seems to be flocking to us for a reason.
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +991 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    There's nothing Cliff Stein can't do.
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß

I do think his price is too high, especially after his needs aren't seen by the other team. I'm not familiar with this dude, but if KC dropped him, I'm betting he's their version of Peppers?
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    We really wouldn't need to. Once KC released him that old contract is void. He and his agent can start negotiating with other teams on a new one now.

IMHO I wouldn't pursue him for two reasons. First and foremost is that we can't afford him. He's still young and he'll be looking for something similar to what he was getting which would but him in the same neighborhood as the deal we gave Jennings. The second reason is where do we put him? Who do you bench so he can play?

Tillman and Jennings won't sit. If anything they're as good or better than he is in this defense. The article says he didn't care for playing Slot CB so that limits him to playing LCB and then what do we do with Fuller who they plan to play there when Jennings move inside? Somebody would have to sit then and I don't know who it would be.

I don't think this is a guy who'd come onboard for a low dollar deal and unless he was willing to do that we really can't afford to pay him what I believe he'll want. No harm in window shopping but as far as a purchase goes I can't see how we'd do it.
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    I guy that "does not like" to play in the slot means he is not concerned about what the team needs him to do.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    I just don't this kid. I was thinking we could use him as depth.

Honestly, while I like Tillman, he's aging and I can't see him making the whole season without an injury.
  10. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,234 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    608ß
    He's certainly better than Isaiah Frey, but the cost is likely prohibitive. Plus I like the locker room that Trestman is putting together. I don't think he fits from that standpoint, and at this point I wouldn't want to mess with that. Costly, Problem, No.
  11. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,203ß
    The odds are against Tillman playing healthy for 16 games, so I am sure he would be useful. It gets down to the money. How much will it take, and how much can the Bears afford?
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Passing on Flowers at the moment makes sense to me. If no one makes him a decent contract off and he's looking to play for a good team then maybe he comes in to play later on but the way it looks to me is that someone like "Hotlanta" will find a way to sign him.

Here's another guy who just got released that we may want to keep an eye on. To me he's a little on the small side for us (5'11/180lbs), and he's been recovering from this foot injury and surgery, but he's also a guy without a team and looking for a place to land. He gets to keep the $2 mil of his deal that was guaranteed against injury so if he can play this year this is a guy who may be willing to take a one year deal for short money as a trade off for getting a longer term one if he proves himself.

If we were looking for another CB, and I really don't think we are right now, then to me Houston would be a more likely prospect to sniff around than Flowers.

Lions cut CB Houston with 4 years left on contract

By LARRY LAGE (AP Sports Writer) June 13, 2014 6:57 PM AP - Sports
    0 shares

[​IMG]
    View photo
    FILE - This is a 2014 photo of Chris Houston of the Detroit Lions NFL football team. The Lions have cut cornerback Chris Houston with four years left on his contract. The Lions say Friday, June 13, 2014, that a "significant medical procedure" led to Houston's release. (AP Photo/File)

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Lions cut cornerback Chris Houston one year into his $25 million, five-year contract.

''Chris Houston underwent a significant medical procedure this spring,'' the Lions said in a statement Friday. ''Both parties felt that the best course of action at this time was to release Chris and allow him to rehabilitate away from the Club. The Lions appreciate Chris' contributions over the years and wish him the best in his recovery.''

Houston, who had foot surgery, was limited to 12 games last season because of toe and foot injuries. The ailments appeared to hurt his play when he was on the field. Houston had not attended offseason workouts so far this year under new coach Jim Caldwell.

''We anticipate Chris making a full recovery and playing football this year,'' Houston's agent, Jonathan Feinsod, said in a telephone interview Friday night.

With money saved by releasing Houston, the Lions signed first-round pick Eric Ebron to a four year contract. To replace Houston on the roster, Detroit added undrafted rookie Bryce Quigley, a former San Diego State offensive tackle.

Detroit acquired Houston from Atlanta for a fifth-round pick in 2010. The Lions re-signed him twice, including last year to a five-year deal. Houston had a career-high five interceptions in 2011, helping the Lions reach the playoffs for the first time since the 1999 season. Houston had two interceptions in each of the last two years and has 13 in his career.

He struggled a lot last season and said he was benched for the first time in his career on Oct. 20, 2013, against Cincinnati. ''That was just a wake-up call,'' Houston said after the 27-24 loss to the Bengals. ''That was probably my worst half of football I ever played.''

Houston, who was drafted out of Arkansas by the Falcons in the second round in 2007, has started at least 10 games every season of his career for a total of 91 starts.

The Lions likely will start cornerbacks Darius Slay, a second-round pick last year, and Rashean Mathis, who turns 34 next month, this season. A pair of 2012 draft picks - Bill Bentley and Jonte Green - are expected to get a chance to compete for playing time.
    Detroit wrapped up its minicamp on Thursday and will start training camp in late July.
  13. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    I don't think for the money he will want, we could afford him. We are good to go if Tillman, Jennings and Fuller remain healthy.
  14. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Don't forget about Hayden, he's pretty decent in the nickel and can move around anywhere in the secondary, houston would make our secondary all that much improved
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,616 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    I would have only if Tillman moved to FS.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Not ever gonna happen Henry. IMHO he'll hang it up before he does that. I think he's gonna have another great year and maybe even play one more after this one if he can stay healthy.