Should have started McCown.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 10, 2013.

1. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

100% right. McCown is better than Cutler. Period.
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

His first drive was perfect: a short run by Forte, then 3 straight completions to BMarsh, including a TD.

Jay was fine when he started the game, but as it wore on, he aggravated his injury (or injured his ankle or whatever). Point being...it was a good call to start Jay, but a piss poor one to leave him in for so long, when he was visibly shaken and off target on even simple passes.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No. A healthy McCown>a clearly injured and limited Cutler after the half, but otherwise that's just Nick Cannon hilarious.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

What if aggravating the groin, by starting Jay too soon - sets Jay back for some SERIOUS time off now? We can win with our backup. No, he's not as good as Jay, but he's better than an injured Jay. Now we probably won't HAVE our starting QB for weeks. Call me stupid, but with perhaps the best backup in the NFL available for this game - and playing with a red-hot hand right now - I start McCown and let Jay heal completely before risking losing him by aggravating the groin injury. We shot ourselves in the foot here. There was no need to rush Jay into a starting role yet. It was stupid, stupid, stupid.
  5. dabears135

dabears135

Trestman needed to take him out after the 1st half, maybe sooner. He needs to tell Cutler to put his pride aside and let McCown step in. They said Jay will only play if he is a 100%. Well it was quite obvious he was not even close.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I thought his mechanics looked off from the beginning. He was completing some passes, but he didn't look "right" to me. It was my 1st thought of the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. little bear

little bear

lol

No, he's not. Period.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Cutler is way better than McCown. My only point is that we do have a decent backup for days like today. A guy who can help us win games like today. I wish we had let Cutler heal the groin tear before bringing him back.
  9. tbear1

tbear1

I don't know if I was reading too much into the post game interview, but it sounded like Jay wasn't 100% at the begining of the game.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Cutler is saying the groin wasn't an issue today. It was the rolled ankle. I guess I was wrong. It sure looked like he was hindered in the first half to me, prior to the ankle, but Jay says no, it was the ankle. My bad.
  11. Clark Street

Clark Street

I couldn't agree more. Cutler obviously needed more recovery time. Starting him today may have extended the time needed for him to become fully healthy. That should have been apparent by the time the second half began. McCown won in Green Bay last week, proving he knows how to smoothly lead the Bears' offense. He really should be starting until Cutler is completely back to normal.
  12. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz What? Me Worry? Staff Member

They say when your body isn't 100% another part of your body has to pick up the slack.

So in this case, his ankle paid the price. When you favor one injury, you put more on the rest of your body.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

It's all connected. Queue up music... The ankle bone is connected to the shine bone... and the shine bone is connected to the knee bone, and the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone and the thigh bone is connected to the groin bone. And Cutler should know to protect his groin bone.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Trestman said he'll review the video. "I may come back tomorrow & say I made a mistake, I should have taken [Cutler] out earlier," he said.

Chalk one up for major lesson for our new coach everyone gets a mulligan hopeful that was it. The good news looking at the remainder of this schedule Bears could possibly run the table. Got to always find the bright side it's a Chicago fans requirement.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

I respect that. People make mistakes. I don't think Trestman will make the same mistake too often. Lovie would never have admitted having made a mistake. I just want to see Trestman grow because of this. We need to get something out of it. I'm still pissed.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I feel the exact same way. If he learns from this, at least that's something positive from a loss. But I'm sick that we let one get away today.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

The thing is, hindsight wasn't necessary here. He knew Cutler wasn't physically able to run the 2 minute drill (which puts some credence to my joke that Cutler would go back in, in overtime), and that was the only reason McCown came in. Both Lions games easily could have gone the other way, and this one especially, considering how well the defense held up.