Should the Chicago Bears Let Go of Jay Cutler?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Wolfman, Nov 19, 2013.

1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Like the car sales man says "lets see if we can get the numbers to work out."
    Like the game show goes "lets make a deal."

My bet is Emery will not give him crazy stupid cash only if he pulls a Flacco.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

IMO, the argument has merit, but not much of it.

Honestly there are times that I think McCown can win more games than Cutler (and I know full well that Cutler is a much better QB), and we do need to spend money on the D.

But the argument does not hold water for a couple of reasons I can quickly think of (at least from where I sit).

1) After you go and spend the money you saved by not signing Cutler on the D, you MAY be fine for a year with McCown (and that can be easily debated). So what do you do the next year when McCown may be too old to perform well? Bet the house on a QB from the draft? You don't have money to go out into FA and get a franchise QB (as if one would be available) because you spent all your money on the D. Seems like a poor bet. And that is if you allow that McCown can beat the difficult teams (and honeatly, he might be able to...)

2) Cutler is far more talented and it took us a long time to get him. I really have no problem moving away from him if he can't win a SB for us. (and even if we can, we DO still need to get someone young in here to groom). The real problem is we don't know for sure. We don't have enough data (this is the same reason that I was against getting rid of Urlacher and Carimi BTW (I was wrong on Carimi :() -- we let them go before we saw how they had healed and could play. Before we let go a guy with this much talent that was so hard to get and we gave up so much for (that seems to be FINALLY progressing), I think we need to be sure what we have. I do not think we offer a LT contract at this point, but I think you have to franchise him and also bring a guy on board to replace him. He has been brutalized and probably only has about 4 years left.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach

Yes, it's a gamble...and agree McCown would simply be a cheap stop gap for a season, if that....but if we have a QB guru head coach, isn't that the gamble we should be taking?

We have lots of data on Cutler...the problem is it mostly bad or negative data....his fault, Lovie's fault, JA's fault, nobody's fault, after all this time, still claiming we don't know what we have in Cutler is pretty damning in and of itself...at what point do we relies the real Jay Cutler has been standing in front of us the whole time?

Look, I have nothing against Cutler; I am NOT anti-Jay Cutler...I have argued against those people in the past....

But to me, Culter has become like a hot girlfriend that you're really not in to....sure, you probably should breakup with her...but damn, she's HOT....and man, it sucks to be alone and she's the hottest girlfriend I've ever had...and truth be told, I've always been kinda of loser in the girlfriend department; no way, I ever find someone as hot as her ever again....I am sure if I just love her more, she'll change for me...

But any case and bad analogies aside, if we franchise him isn't that just admitting we need replace him; that he's not the long term answer...that we are in fact "letting go" of Cutler? We're just delaying it by a year....if our QB next year is just a place holder, I guess I would rather go with the cheaper option...we are not one season away from the SB; we need to stop acting like we are....

• Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

So a few off the cuff things after reading this:
    If your qb needs a top of the line OL, WR's, RB HC, then why pay him like a qb that doesn't, 16+ mil(btw some team is going to pay more then that imo in FA). I think we all know how I feel about McCown, but he's equalling the output of Cutler, both in the low to mid 60's in comp %, both over 7ypa, both getting about 2 TD's per game. The difference is that McCown is not turning the ball over at just under 2 TO's per game. McCown isn't 1/2 the qb that Cutler is, but w/the quality around him he is performing at the same level....his downfall is that he will not have the ability to have great games like Cutler can. McCown has done 1 thing Cutty hasn't all year, and that's go 2 games w/out a turn over, really 2 and a few qtrs, in todays NFL that is imperative. But at the end of the day, McCown is Alex Smith, a care taker that when he faces elite O's that will put up 30-40 points is not going to stand much of a shot of winning a high powered shoot out.

Is Cutler capable of playing at such a high level that we don't have key positions filled w/other top talent(see flacco in Balt), so far he's 4-4 this year w/a pretty damn good O, but realy bad D.

IMO you have 2 real options, keep Cutler via LT contract or FT, and draft a young qb to backhim up(keeping the cost WAY down on the backup qb)

Or draft a qb early(round 1 or 2) and keep McCown to backup/mentor/start if the rook is a flop, thus keeping the cost of qb overall WAY down

I still think you have to FT Cutler and see if he can 1 stay healthy, and 2 can get his TD to TO ratio far better(right now he's near 1:1). There is no reason that he cannot, at least, get his ratio better, the health though, 30+ yr old qb that has been beat up, might not be able to keep himself healthy....and that creates a real problem b/c no matter how good he is, if he cannot stay on the field, and/or he cannot go 2-3 games w/out a TO, minimum, then you cannot pay him 16+ mil a year over 4 years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

I agree with Ric.

I think we FT Cutler and kick the can down the road another year while we groom a rookie. I think it would be stupid to let him go after only one (incomplete) season with Trestman. I want JM back (as I'm confident he will be) but he's the #2 not an every week starter. On the other hand, I also think it would stupid to sign him to a big LT deal now since he's been hurt an awful lot the last few years and still hasn't proven that he "gets it" with ball security.

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm going to trust Emery and Trestman to make the right call regarding Cutler. The Bears swept out Angelo/Lovie and replaced them with guys who are better at evaluating talent in general, and on offense in particular. And Trestman's "claim to fame" is that he is a very gifted developer of quarterbacks. I figure we should chill and just watch what they do here. If they believe the cost/reward is best with Cutler (short-term or long-term contract) or if they walk away from Cutler entirely - I figure they're getting paid to do this correctly, and if they don't it may ultimately cost them their jobs, just like Angelo/Lovie.

I'm in that "wait and see" mode :-)

• Like Like x 2
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

JABF, I'm that way to, but if you, I and everyone else just go on trusting them then this place is going to be pretty damn quite ;p

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Wolfman

Wolfman
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach

I totally agree...while I do find this an interesting debate and academic argument, none of us are going to affect or make that decision...and whatever that decision is, I too will trust Emery and Trestman in whatever decision they make...

9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I laughed when I read that one Ric. You are 100% correct :-)

10. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

Yeah, this board would suck if there wasn't stuff to bitch and argue about :p

• Like Like x 2