Should the Chicago Bears Let Go of Jay Cutler?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Wolfman, Nov 19, 2013.

1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +447 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Can anyone believe it is possible to ever utter such words about any coach or GM not just for Bears but for any Chicago team..by the way I'm in agreement with you.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Sure why not let him go that way the Viking can sign him. Wouldn't it be fun to watch AP and Cutler in the same back field, well it would unless your a Bears fan that is.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,862 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    114ß
    LOL, I agree. Maybe we can let Brandon Marshall go to 'em too. They could probably use the both of 'em, and it's always generous to let your players go help out a division buddy like the poor Vikes. :D
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,479 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    lol like we would ever see Cutler on the field in Minny; there's a good chance he'd be inj'd those weeks anyways;) (j/k kinda)....And why the hell would he goto minny and that dumbster fire over a team like Hou/KC/Pitt that are much farther along and in a less challenging Div?

Oooooh b/c we the fans should be scurred of Cutler in the same div, right b/c a D that is predicated on TO's isn't going to want to face Cutler? The guy that cannot go 2 games w/out turning the ball over? Riiiight. I have a funny feeling the D would relish playing Cutler 2x's a year. Remember what GB said last year, just sit back and wait he'll throw us the ball.

I want Cutler around, but lets not overstate his value okay. He's good, he's a top 12-15 qb, he's not elite, he's not greatness personified, he's average to above average in the NFL qb world w/the potential to be elite if he could ever learn to NOT turn the ball over
  5. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +495 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    113ß
    Only if Bert Favre comes back out of retirement.
  6. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +580 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    "Should the Chicago Bears Let Go of Jay Cutler?"

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  7. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The plan is to win a superbowl right???

And the roster is in a position where cap room is short, free agents will be multiple particularly on the starting defense and as well as the starting QB.

So it's a fair question to ask in do you go cheap at QB to take a heap of pressure off the salary cap and then balance out the roster. But I think it's entirely wrong. It's a huge cop out on the organisation if the scouts and coaches don't think they can draft and develop the rest of the team around Cutler and that includes the next QB.

All of this is predicated on Cutler settling for the right deal. He's had too many chances to really show he's a top line QB and therefore anything north of 15 million should be way out of question. After that we've got Forte, Marshall, Jeffrey, Martellus Bennett and most of the O line locked in. Garza and Slauson should be paid as well. Then it's time for Emery to hit the draft and round out what should be an affordable offense.

Yes the defense has big problems but a lot of that should surely be solved from within. The positive of how bad (and injured) the defense has been this year is that it's helped the GM and his staff in some ways. If our defense had a pretty good year this year with Tilman, Peppers and Melton all playing well then Emery would've looked pretty evil if he gave those guys away. Now though we can see that the defense is old, banged up and otherwise not that good so Emery can offer reasonable contracts to those he wants to keep and at the same time we've had young players get valuable experience at CB, LB, DL particularly. Safety has been the biggest worry. We've got 2 guys who should be starting to be very solid players based on their experience in the league in Conte and Wright and they are looking pretty bad.

All in all my plan would be keep Cutler and McCown, keep the core of the offense together whilst it might be expensive it should be pretty good (as it has this year) and only get better with another year under Trestman. Then properly re tool the defense using the draft, discount quality free agent signings and appropriate offers to our own free agents.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +170 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    We just beat THE SUPERBOWL CHAMPS in OT ... so yeah ...cut the whole team.
  9. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It's not an easy decision and there are so many intangibles that won't be played out until season's end.
    The nfl is such a topsy turvy thing. I wouldn't be surprised if McCown walks for a shot at a starting job elsewhere. If he puts two more well played games under his belt there are so many teams that would kill for his type of qb-really cheap, sturdy, doesn't turn the ball over. You may say, "yeah, but McCown's not that type, he's got loyalty and he's fine with the backup title in Chicago." I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but if it did, where would it leave us? Basically back in the same spot it left us to start this season except we have a new unproven toy. But also, McCown will most likely be kept in the loop if Emery is gonna go after a draft qb. If they like McCown, which they do, he is an awesome backup, why would they bring in a draft qb this year and not next year when McCown is another year older and Cutler another year unproven after the FT? Also, why draft a qb to make him a 3rd stringer? It's like giving that pick's career a mountaintop to climb.
    There is a lot of hype on this draft class of qb's and a lot of teams will be going after them. But what about next year? Might there be a better steal when nobody's looking?

So then, say the Bears keep McCown because he has played so well(assuming he continues to do so), sign Cutler to a fat one because he comes back to play and does more or less what he's done his entire career(except that you can't blame him for the last loss of the season because we play the Saints at home and they put up 37 points to our 33 (Cutler throws 3td's and 1 int) in an admirable game), and then as a gesture to McCown the Bears don't draft any qb's and just keep circulating the scrubs.
    If such a thing happened we wouldn't be talking about faith in Emery/Trestman but faith in Mel Tucker.
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 5 / -20
    ßearz ßuckz:
    304ß
    If I were GM, I would just spend the $16 million to franchise Cutler and spend the rest of the cap money to fill holes on defense.
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,468 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    702ß
    Nope! (How 'bout that. This may be the shortest post I've ever made) :p
  12. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I think what people forget about NFL contracts is that only the guaranteed up front money means anything to players. So for the right guaranteed money we could sign Cutler to a very nice CAP friendly deal.
  13. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 5 / -20
    ßearz ßuckz:
    304ß
    Whatever maximizes the remaining cap money to buy a defense. That's my vote.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +998 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    That's what I would do too and that's what I think will end up happening unless Cutler accepts a "below market" deal.

It's hard to justify paying Cutler a LT "market deal" given his age, injury history, turnover issues, and lack of postseason wins. Don't get me wrong, I want him to be here next year and think he's by far the best option to be the starter but I don't think a LT deal is justified (unless it comes at a discount) when you have the FT option to use.

Use the lions share of resources rebuilding the defense, get Trestman a rookie QB he can groom (for better or worse who knows), and kick the can down the road one more season on this decision.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    I like it, but neither the Lions nor the league would go for it!
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +170 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    Who got us here ? Where did the DEFENSE go ?
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +998 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Use the "majority share" of resources to rebuild the defense...how's that? ;)
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    ah hell... nowhere near as much fun...
  19. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree, and have no need to say another word...

I probably will though :p
  20. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We already gave 'em JaMarcus Webb. lol!