Should the Chicago Bears Let Go of Jay Cutler?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Wolfman, Nov 19, 2013.

1. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    151ß
    Here we go again.

:D
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,539 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    540ß

There is no controversy surrounding McCown, other than people making him out to be a better player than he really is. If people were honestly as high on Trestman being a QB guru as they claim to be, then they could simply admit McCown is merely adequate, and that it's entirely possible to bring in a younger player to replace him. I'm not advocating that, as I think Cutty/McCown/rookie or Locker/McCown/rookie would be an amazing thing to have, but let's be real, he's very limited in his play, and the pieces around him undoubtedly make him look better than what he has shown in the past.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    He has not shown much prior to being here, and there is zero doubt in my mind that if not for Trestman that he would continue to be mediocre. However, I think you need to give the guy his due. The system is Trestman's and without it, he would not be excelling. However, he IS excelling and that is because he has the ability to execute Trestman's system. Trestman is not the guy doing the checkdowns, not the guy avoiding pressure and not the guy making the throws. My point is that McCown might actually have a small part to do with winning those games seeing as he is the one holding the ball.

Could Trestman do it with anyone? Not sure. Do I want to take that chance when he already has a guy that can do it? no.

And by the way, although Cutler is more talented and Trestman has absolutely brought his game up, it is not a given that Trestman will get him to come off the "I can sling it anywhere" mentallity, that has kept him throwing interceptions. Since having worked with Trestman, Cutler has thrown way more interceptions than McCown. Does that make McCown a better QB? Not necessarily, but it does mean that even Trestman can only do so much. Personally, I think Cutler will be fine, but it is not a given that you can give Trestman anyone and have him perform to McCowns standards.

Sometimes the sum of the parts is greater than the value of the parts themselves. McCown and Trestman are doing a great job. I see no reason to kill it.