Should the Chicago Bears Let Go of Jay Cutler?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Wolfman, Nov 19, 2013.

1. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I think even if they bring back McCown they need to draft a QB. Why?

Easy this is one of the best QB drafts ever and this is a golden chance to groom Cutler's replacement.

2. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    193ß
    Whatever happens with cutty, I'd be drafting a QB in the second round this year. Someone like McCarron would be made for Trestman and may be available mid round in the second given the plethora of other QB talent available. He's a winner, he is smart, he plays a system and he doesn't get flustered. He'd be a great pick

• Like Like x 1
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,762 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    867ß
    No. It's too much of a gamble to trust a rookie or McCown.

Random, but relevant: I love how people point to Cutler's career turnover rate(108 INTs, 62 fumbles through 101 games), while neglecting to mention McCown's (45 INTS, 42 fumbles through 57, only 35 of which he started).

Also, why do people think letting Cutler walk will allow us to "get more defensive free agents"? The best FA's are going to be expensive, regardless, and we still wouldn't be able to afford many of them, AND the heavy use of free agency to replenish your roster has proven NOT to work, repeatedly. Sure, you can get a few every now and then, but the draft is where the perennial favorites find their players.

4. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Henry, your random thought was not relevant lately. That is why.

I hope they tag Cutty. I would not like to see him walk away this off-season, especially if is just to carrying bags filled with five years worth of guaranteed money to the bank. Honestly, though I will support what ever Emery and Trestman decide.

Free Agents are just a loan, some can turn a profit, but you only want them if needed.

5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,762 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    867ß

How does that address the random thought of ignoring McCown's turnover rate, while complaining about Cutler's?

I'm not disagreeing with you on Free Agents, at all. What I'm saying is, is the thought that "we'll save so much money by getting rid of Cutler, to spend on defense" is bad for two reasons:

1. You just neutered the offense, to help the defense. What sense does that make?
    2. Those who believe releasing Cutler, so we can "get better defensive free agents" really need to clarify their position, as, on the surface, it would seem the implication is there that the talent would be guaranteed to be there, that that talent would fit here, and that we wouldn't break the bank trying to get elite players. Free Agency, and trades should be used to fill the holes on the roster that the GM doesn't think the draft will fill.

6. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I was taking the what have you done for me lately view: I'm sure if you accounted for snaps you would find McCown has a higher career turnover rate. With the numbers provided Jay is at 1.68 turnovers per game, and McCown is at 1.53. Which is pretty close even before you consider Josh starting 35 of the 57.

This year: 1.57 > 0.50 It is football and four games is not much of a sample size, but that is a 2/3 reduction. Even if by luck, it has been relevant this year.

McCown (1 int, 1 fum in 2013 through 4 games (scratch wk. 10)) vs. Cutler (7 int, 4 fum in 2013 through 7 games (scratch wk. 7))

• Like Like x 1
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,762 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    867ß
    I'm not arguing against that at all, but the argument of Jay's career turnover rate as a reason against him is dishonest, if one does not include McCown's.

8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,039 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß
    Henry, biggest thing is that apparently McCown was able to correct, at least temporarily, whatever issue he had, while Cutler is still doing the same stupid ish.

also, while the team might not be able to stockpile multiple top D FA's, and ya it's not the way to build a team, it's still one more then you would have gotten. I'm not for letting Cutler walk, FT him, and I agree I'm fine w/whatever they do you have to trust this regime right now, but to think there is no merit in letting him walk is also false.

There is merit in getting a young qb and just letting them have at it, while being backed up by a vet, especially if next year is a loss as you need to fully rebuild the D, and then next year actually start to build depth on both sides of the O; that 2nd or 3rd year is when this team should be truly ready to complete, and at that point, Cutty, or a rookie next year would both be experienced enough to take a complete team to the SB.

9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,762 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    867ß
    One thing people neglect to mention, in regards to McCown, is that, due to his physical limitations, he's forced to make the shorter throws. I will say though, he has been throwing tighter spirals these past 2 games (Wind affected Flacco, McCown, not so much).

I still don't agree that there is merit in letting him walk, at all. Simply because Emery and Trestman are betting their careers on whoever comes next. With that said, if we DO release Cutler, I want us to pick up Jake Locker, keep McCown and have him compete with a rookie QB. I think the Titans would be idiots to let Locker go (but it looks like they're going to), and that kid, if he can stay healthy, will be a BEAST next year.

10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,039 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß
    If we brought in Locker, I'd have him competing w/a rook and letting McCown walk.

Reality is that the arm of McCown is what limits him. He has played 1000% better then anyone would have ever guessed, and much safer w/the ball, but what you are seeing is that teams are playing closer and closer to the line b/c no one fears his arm over 20 yards. Other teams are going to do what Chi did to Clemmons, if Josh can beat you w/a deep ball, they'll be okay w/it, but they're going to shut down the short game and can the run game.

McCown is always going to be limited in what they can do unless the D gives him a few gifts....it's really my problem w/Cutler too, for all his plusses, he seems to need the D to hand him a few gifts to get into the 30-40 pt range.