Sign Kyle Orton to a 1 day contract?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by mdbearz, Jul 15, 2014.

1. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I know he never got us a championship but I have always thought of him as a Bear
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,839 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,523ß
    Has he finally told Dallas that he won't report to camp? Last I knew it was still up in the air because if he does they want him to return about $3 mil in bonus $$$ they paid him.
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    701ß
    Timing of Kyle Orton's release a surprise

July, 15, 2014
    Jul 15
    6:44
    PM ET
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com
    IRVING, Texas -- Even though Kyle Orton skipped the offseason program, the Dallas Cowboys believed he would eventually show up for the June minicamp. When he failed to show up for the minicamp, Jason Garrett spoke optimistically that the backup quarterback would show up for training camp.

On Tuesday, the Cowboys decided to release Orton.

[​IMG]
    Orton
    For all of the threats of coming after his signing bonus money if Orton retired, which could have been up to $3.4 million, or docking his base salary nearly $150,000 for skipping a physical, the minicamp and the workouts, the Cowboys decided having a player, especially a quarterback, not fully vested in the program was not worth it.

My initial reaction is surprise. My second reaction is: why not do this sooner?

Orton made it clear what his intentions were. He didn’t want to play football anymore. But with training camp fast approaching and a daily fine of $30,000 staring him in the face, he was preparing to come to Oxnard, California, next week.

The Cowboys will save $3.25 million in salary-cap space this year, which opens up more room for potential deals for Tyron Smith and/or Dez Bryant. Orton will count roughly $2.25 million against the cap next year, which he would have counted whether he played this year or not.

If Orton had retired, he would have had to pay back the signing bonus money on the $5 million he received in 2012 and the $510,000 restructuring of his deal in 2013. He wasn’t about to pay back that money and call it a career. He would have showed up for camp. Had he missed the first six days of camp, then the Cowboys could have come after parts of the $1.127 million signing bonus proration in 2014.

Orton was hardly unprofessional in his two years. He served as a sounding board for Tony Romo and other teammates as the backup. He played well in his one start last season, despite his fourth-quarter turnover. It was much better than people could have anticipated even though the Cowboys lost the NFC East title game to the Philadelphia Eagles.
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    847ß
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,839 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,523ß
    OK he's done and with all of that bonus money and salary he collected he's golden now if he plays his hand right.

As for signing him so he can retire as a Bears I'd vote no. We did him the biggest favor of his career by trading him to the "Donkey's" where he played just well enough to parlay that into a couple of nice deals he would never have had if he's remained in Chicago.

He's been gone for over five years so let's let sleeping "neck beards" lie. He did far better with others than he did here.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +613 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    If he can jump out of a pool full of Jack Daniels, Jerry'd say sure. But I doubt he'd jump. He'd drink it dry, just like Bob McKenzie.

[​IMG]

(Anybody else remember this movie?)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    That should be reserved only for true legends - and he isnt one so ...nah.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    847ß
    If he had brought us to a Super Bowl, I might say yes.
    If he had WON us a Super Bowl I would say yes.

But, no. Just no. One day contracts should be reserved for legendary all time great players or players who did something significant of which Orton was not and did not.

If you want a better question.... how about Rex Grossman? He help lead the Bears to the Super Bowl (mostly the defense, but he was a huge part the first half and a playoff big playoff game) though he did help lose the Super Bowl.
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    274ß
    Why?! What did he do for the bears that was so great?
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    335ß
    I just like the fact he couldn't have screwed a better owner. Priceless Orton :002:

Ratliff is smiling as well.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,974 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    984ß
    enjoy retirement KO, but no need for chi-town to bring him back. Same w/Rex or Jones or any other guy from those teams.
  12. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß
    Sign both Orton and Grossman to one day contracts for the same day. We all argue about which one of them should be the starter/ backup for old times sake.

Then the Bears cut them.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    why in the hell would we do that? i say Bears sign me for a day, so I could retire gracefully, God knows it would mean more to me than Kyle
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,362 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    755ß
    Might as well take it a step further. We could go all the way and re-sign Chad Hutchinson, Jonathan "Quinn TheEskimo" & Neckbeard & Rex (get the old band back together again) and re-live those glory days of Lovie Smith and Jerry Angelo. Bring them all out at halftime during one of the games this year and honor them properly.

I'm trying to think about what we SHOULD do to (I mean for) them at that halftime. Any ideas?
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    701ß
    We should see if he really wants to retire or just wanted out of Dallas. I am thinking he would look better than McCown as the back up
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,839 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,523ß

Good idea brother. Now that McCown is gone we have nothing to start a QB controversy over. That should do it. :thumb:
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    701ß
    Stoning them may be kind of harsh so I vote for snowballs, maybe set up an ice tank
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,839 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,523ß
    Slush balls like the one Bill Cosby was keeping in his freezer for Junior Barnes. :rock:

:rofl2:
  19. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Personally, I thought rotten fruit was going to be involved in some way..