Simple thoughts from a simple mind

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Sep 15, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

The Good

1-It's great to win. Makes me feel all warm n' fuzzy inside.

2-Great to see Cutler lead a last minute game winning drive.

3-Great to see Bennett coming up huge all game long. No dropsies for the Black Unicorn this week, babycakes!

4-I like Trestman. He reminds me of a nerdy, little, UM law school buddy of mine.

The Bad:

1-Sucked to see Evil Jay pop up at various points in this game to throw a couple of bad INTs. Really hoped Trestman had forever vanquished Evil Jay.

2-No pass rush for a 2nd consecutive week. 1 QB Sack total. All game long. 1 QB Hit. Total. All game long. There is simply NO WAY we beat the Saints, The Giants, the Packers, the Eagles, the Lions, etc. if Tucker can't figure out a way to collapse the pocket. If the front four proves incapable of getting it done, figure something out, Mel. Figure something out or the elite qbs whom we have on our schedule will eat us alive.

3-Just because it is so important to me, I will bring it up again. The lack of a pass rush is really starting to concern me, especially with the QBs we have coming up on our schedule.

The Ugly

Pre-emptive strike to respond to whatever Nakoma is going to type in this thread: ahem (clears throw..takes a sip of water...) ... "Cram it with walnuts, tex."

That is all for now. Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

We all figured the team would be a "work in progress" for awhile, and that is exactly what we are seeing. The fact that we are an unbeaten team while we go through these rough initial weeks with new players, coaches, schemes - is encouraging. Cutler had 3 touchdown passes including a game-winner with 10 seconds left in the game, so that is encouraging. He will need to improve too, and he will.

Our new TE, Bennett, is a huge addition to this team. It's so nice to NOT have K.David dropping passes, and instead having Bennett haul in critically important passes - including the game winner with only seconds left on the clock.

Trestman is amazing. He is light-years better as a head coach than Lovie. He will work tirelessly to improve this team from week to week all season long. I seriously think we could be 3-1 or even 4-0 after our first four games of the season. I would not have thought that possible with all of the changes and young players and new coaches.

We're seeing this team at about 1/3 of its potential. By the time we go into the playoffs, this team will be firing all weapons flawlessly, and Trestman will be considered one of the better coaches in the NFL this year. Of course we have a long ways to go. But we are unbeaten and should feel good about this nice start to the Trestman era in Chicago.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

JustAnotherBearsFan, I just hope this team doesn't become one of those frustrating "Cardiac pack" teams which makes games closer than they need to be. We should have blown the Vikings out this game. We left a ton of points out on the field and gave Minnesota a ton of cheap points, and in doing so, we damn near blew an eminently winnable game.

Having said that, I agree with your comments about Bennett and Trestman. Bennett obviously came up HUGE today. The OL also seemed to play another solid game, surrendering only a single sack (which was actually on Forte who effectively picked Bushrod while allowing Allen to cut inside of him for the strip sack). I am just scared to death about the lack of any semblance of a pass rush. Like I said, you can squeeze out tight victories against some QBs in this league without a pass rush, but the elite AND very good QBs (Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Stafford et. al.) will eat this defense alive if Tucker cannot find a way to compensate, from a schematic perspective, for our DL's subpar performance thus far.

Also want to say that I realize that Cutler's first INT was off of a tip, but it just KILLS a team to turn the ball over in the red zone like that. I guess that I was just really hoping that the
    "new Jay" could emerge from the first 3-4 games this season without any multiple INT games. I remain VERY excited about the play of our revamped, Trestman-led offense, however. Also great to see Hester have an excellent day
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

All good points. But I would add that this team is in its infancy under Trestman. To be unbeaten and alone in 1st place in the NFC-N, at this early stage is pretty sweet. Yes, there needs to be a lot of improvement, but we expected that the first month or so would be an uphill climb, due to the new coaching staff, schemes, players & a lot of rookies, etc etc etc.

I find it amazing (seriously) that we're where we are at right now. Lots to improve on, but that will come week-by-week. This is just our first 2 baby steps with the new team and coaches.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Seriously tho, don't be surprised if the offensive line gives up a sack or two due to:

1) playing on the road
    2) playing on a field that doesn't give an advantage to the offensive line
    3) Pittsburgh having 2 games of Chicago on tape.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I agree. This entire season will be a learning experience for the two rookies, and I expect them to have some tough outings. And sacks are part of life, even for the best offensive lines. In today's NFL, the defenses are so good & sophisticated, that you're never going to perfectly protect the QB. I just don't want to see those days like we've had in the past, where Cutler takes a physical beating all game long.

And we'll lose games this season too. The world will not end when we get beat this season. It won't all be roses and wins. It's a long season. But in the end, I believe we have a shot at having a really sweet season. Playoffs are a distinct possibility for the first time in years.
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

• Like Like x 2
  8. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

JustAnotherBearsFan, I understand what you are saying regarding baby-steps, new coaches, new schemes, etc., and that is why I am so disturbed by the lack of a pass rush. As we all know, Tucker HAS kept everything, including the terminology, the same for the defense. I suspect that things have pretty much remained business as usual for the defensive linemen in the Cover/Tampa-2 scheme, so they really don't have the same "hey, we are trying to learn an entirely new system" excuse that the guys on offense have. I have no idea why they haven't been able to get to the QB through the first two games, but unless things change, there is no way we make it through our toughest games (Saints, Packers, Giants, Lions, Eagles) without surrendering a ton of points and yardage.
  9. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

With this pass rush, it will take 40 points to beat the Packers. I have been saying it ever since I joined this board, but I will say it again: I want to see Cornelius Washington get some playing time. I think he has potential, as he is a physical freak and played well in the preseason. Maybe just use him in passing situations. With his 4.55 speed, they could blitz him from the OLB position. He played some LB in college. What the heck do we have to lose? Otherwise, let's blitz more -- maybe even mix in a corner blitz.
  10. Zac

Zac

Great points and I agree with all of them.

I wouldn't have thought this going into the season, but our Dline has to be the number one concern, followed by our interior run blocking. Most everything else, minus the Jay mistakes, have been good. I think our receiving corps (including Marty) is one of my least concerns about this team.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68

I love the guy and agree but.....I wanted to beat his ass when he didn't pound Bush for a sure TD on 1st & goal from the half yard line. That was too cute by half (dumb) play call and cost us 7 pts.
  12. blktalon3

blktalon3

I didn't like the turnovers by Jay but I wouldn't call him "evil jay". Last year evil jay wouldn't have won the game. I think one of the most important things trestman has given Cutler is confidence. And also how to "let it go" after he makes mistakes. So even though he did have a couple of bad turn overs he didn't let it affect his play.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Eh, just trying not to be too predictable. I'm pretty sure the entire offense has some lessons to learn from today.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68

I'm sure you're right but trying to be "unpredictable" took away a predictable TD. If Coach T doesn't mind, I'd just as soon use the power RB we are paying for and have a sure TD than trying to pad Jay's stat line.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

I'm starting to think, while watching the 49ers Seahawks game, that even if these two game are showing us that our d-line is in bad shape, they're good enough to keep us in a game against the Pack.

The Bengals and Vikings have REALLY GOOD offensive lines. The Vikings got the best LT in the draft last year, and had the 7th fewest penalties in the league. That tells me that their 2nd year starter is someone special. Next week we're going against a BAD offensive line.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Well, the Vikes are usually good against the run, and I doubt it was to pad Jay's stats. Also, the pass was tipped.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68

I have to agree. I didn't expect to say this (figuring the OL would be our topic of complaint) but I'm concerned -- not worried but concerned -- about the DL. They were getting some pressure on Ponder in the first half and he looked terrible. I think Minny had maybe 50 yards passing at that point. Afterwards, the pressure disappeared completely and Ponder started looking like a way better QB than he really is. Peppers and Melton have done NOTHING this year so far, either one of them. Yeah, I'm concerned because a real QB would have ripped us apart beyond possibility of last minute comeback.

Oh, and Jay now has 4 TOs on the year which is too many.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68

I know, Henry, and was kidding around a little. Point is, it took a very high percentage play and made it a much riskier one. Cutler has had a lot of tipped balls already this year too. Just pound it up the middle with your goal line back, throw the corner fade, or run a play action pass to the flat. If it ain't there, please throw it away...and I don't mean into traffic over the middle.

That was a poor/risky play call and throw that cost us 7 points. Add in that horrible 3 & out series at midfield and it was a grim 2nd half until the last 2 minutes.
  19. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

I live west of Seattle -- a lone Bears fan surrounded by Seagulls. I have to salivate with envy watching the Seahawks defense. A great defense, especially a front-4 that wins in the trenches, will stop ANY offense. They crushed the 49ers offense tonight. They play D like the Bears defense we've been waiting to see. Hopefully, Peppers and Melton will bring their A-game next week.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

I think it's hilarious that ESPN lead their last sportscenter with "What if this MANNING BOWL is a preview of the Super Bowl? Wouldn't that be awesome?" Yeah, Eli Manning has only thrown 7 INTs in the first two games, and I'm pretty sure that our game, or SD/PHI was MUCH more interesting and had a greater impact on the few weeks away playoff race.

EDIT: Quoting Verbatim "The last time the Giants starter 0-2, they went to the Super Bowl". Seriously shut the hell up. Don't you guys need to cover Tim Tebow's interceptions in the unemployment line?
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013