Site Outages

Discussion in 'Site Rules, Announcements, and How-To's' started by Ski-Whiz, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I just wanted to let everyone know what has been happening with the recent outages on DaBears.com.

First off, we are growing! Traffic has increased, even though some may not be seeing the posting as frequent as they would like, people are reading! People are watching!

Secondly, the search engines are loving our articles, and content! This is leading to a problem. They are hammering the site making sure they have up to date information. So they are crawling the shit out of us. The host has been blocking some of the smaller search engines (Bing etc). Sunday, Google decided to hammer us. Basically it's a searchbot DOS. They are requesting SO much content, it's halting the server.

This is all GOOD news, even though it sucks getting on the site.

After the Bears game, I will put in an order to move us to a better cloud server. I don't know how hard this will be, as it could be easy and only take a day. It could also take a week to work out the bugs, and make sure the server is configured to where it plays nice with the scripts we are running.

Where does this leave DBS?

Well, it should and will make this place better and faster! For me it's more money out of my pocket. I have to upgrade a lot of things besides just the server (software licenses etc).

As long as you continue to support the site by allowing Ad's and signing up to become a Superfan, we are good. (And my wife won't yell at me too much for the monthly server bill she's about to get!! lol )

As ALWAYS, if anyone has any questions bring them up. I've always been transparent and honest.

Here's to a rebuilding year for DaBears and DaBears.com!

Bear-Down,
    Rick

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Loki

Loki
    Expand Collapse
    Assault Admin
    Staff Member

Bing is small?

Shit... it's one of the better search engines out there.

3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Bing! It's my homepage, and I use it almost always over Google. I'm just saying that they do hold a small percentage of the search traffic.

People are just loyal to Google??

I am hooked on Bing though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

I have located a couple of options for moving to our own server. Now to "guess" which one will be better for us.

Expect a LOT of changes to the site in January!!!

I'm talking about software updates, server changes, features added, and better up time.

I can't wait. I'm trying to patiently wait to do all this, but I still have to make sure I don't nuke the site while doing it. lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. little bear

little bear
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

Can't you just change the entire Bears coaching staff and front office instead?

pretty-pretty-please-with-a-cherry.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1