So. Do we have a decent DL, or was this a fluke?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 4, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,397 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    817ß
    It looked like a completely different unit tonight. What happened? Is the DL better, or was this a fluke?
  2. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Just a fluke IMO. The Packers O-Line was so bad plus they had no Erin Rodgers tonight.
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +687 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    You'll see next week against Lions. I expect Lions will score about same as last time. Bears gave up a lot of run yardage even without Rodgers. That's not a good sign.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,397 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    817ß
    I liked the D play calling tonight. Maybe they sorted some things out over the bye week.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,011 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,042ß
    1 Pepp and Tillman both got extra rest b/c of Thurs football and the bye week, it might have made a difference.
    2 Tuk was on the field, maybe that made the difference.
    3 No Aaron after an early drive and all of a sudden the D and DL came to life, and yet they still got gashed for 200 yards rushing.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    803ß
    I agree with this. I'd have to see a trend before I change my mind. And the running game was still a problem for us regardless.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Need more Shea.

Was very good tonight and will benefit from more snaps... He is no bust yet
  8. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,504 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    611ß
    So.... now we can define "decent" by how a DL performs against Seneca Wallace?

This was a "fluke" made possible by the awesome sack by Shea.
    This was a "fluke" made possible by the incomprehensible lack of an adequate GB plan in case Rodgers got hurt.

But that is part of the game. The coaching, and manpower decisions, of GB forced them to get in a position to have to rely on Wallass... The coaching of the Bears were able to take great advantage of those decisions. The play of McCown was able to take care of our known crappy DL.

Good game. Congratulations. You deserve the win.

Just try not to elevate your DL to "decent" status too soon. You've only beaten Dalton, Ponder, Rapey, Manning and Wallace. Three of which are having some of the worst games of their lives this season, one of which took his first NFL snap in years, and ONE who actually turned out pretty good this year.
  9. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    the Packs O-line sucked against Bengals with Rodgers, so....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I'm way more concerned by the easy missed tackles that are continuing. Our QB pressure from the DL was bound to pick up at some stage and result in more pressures and sacks. Pep is lifting and McLellin is showing something and Wooton is trying his hardest. That's bound to have results at some stage like it did tonight.

But if we keep missing tackles we wont get in the down and distance enough to get off the field.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,397 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    817ß
    Maybe it's simply a situation where the DL "took a step" in a positive direction. I'll take that. Trestman has this team fighting tooth and nail for wins......last night I saw fire and passion on the defense that I haven't seen in a few games (at least). Ultimately, the team isn't Tuckers - it's a Trestman team....even the defense. So I think these guys believe in HIM, that they can still have success this season, even with the horrific injuries & other issues. I really like this Trestman. He's the key to our future.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    Well, McClellin shut everyone up, as far as wanting him gone. Peppers was playing out of his mind. If they can figure out a way to stop runs up the middle, they might be able to continue to improve on defense.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    100% fluke, we couldnt stop the run against a wet tissue last night. We are still in trouble. If Rodgers was playing we would have gotten blown out
  14. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +90 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Fluke... there's still a big arse hole in the middle of this defense.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    Honestly, the d-line wasn't great (outside of the ends), and it's no wonder that the Packers were able to move the ball, primarily by running through the defensive tackles and linebackers. Honestly, the Bears offense was good enough at TOP, that they were able to improve in-game, to the point where the run was NOT working by the end of the game. If Ratliff is worth his salt, all we need is someone who can occasionally stuff the run, and we'll have a respectable defense going. The best part of the victory last night, was that there was going to be NO drop backs that Peppers and McClellin weren't going to cause pressure on, AND the linebackers seemed to improve in the run game, as the game went on.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The D line was eaten by the backups of the Packers.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,397 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    817ß
    Exactly. It was a "step in the right direction" but just a step. I don't expect the defense to have a miracle improvement this season. But it would sure be nice to see incremental improvement - enough that we can win games. We have some key people coming back from injury, and it should help. Having guys like Briggs and Cutler back will certainly help.

Regarding the people who say we beat a team without their starting QB, I figure we can only play the team that takes the field. Nobody has had more key injuries to overcome than the Bears have had this season. So don't whine and cry about Rodgers getting hurt, like that cheapens this win. The game wasn't handed to the Bears. Trestman had them ready. They took care of business. We beat the Green Bay Packers in prime time at the "hell hole" of Lambeau Field. It was impressive. Never take a GB win for granted. A win against them is ALWAYS special.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    We were playing without OUR QB, so it was most certainly an even playing field. If Peppers and McClellin can play half that well against the Lions, all we really need from the defense is to stop Reggie Bush, and trust Peanut to slow down Megatron.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    The difference here was that the offense kept the defence off the field long enough to rest. Add to that the poor GB oline and back-up QB those factors where enough to allow us to make some plays. But... in a defensive struggle make no doubt, this defense will give up a TON of yards and the only reason we could stop the run at the end of the game is because we stacked the box and dared S. Wallace to throw the ball. With any starting QB in the league and a reasonable threat of a passing game Lacy would have had 200+ yards on the ground and exposed us worse than he did.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    The Packers lost their LG, and whoever THAT defensive tackle was, sucked. Also, I don't like Bass at all. Dude is slow, and is easily faked out by misdirection plays.