So, if Jay misses time as expected, what do you do with him?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 21, 2013.

?

What would YOU do with Jay Cutler?

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Personally, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to let him walk, or to sign him to a big contract. I would absolutely draft a guy, with the intention being, that Jay Cutler is the starter, but is only another injury away from being jettisoned out of Chicago.
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +275 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    while hes here he is our starting qb, but. thnk theres a big chance hes gone after this season, only if he takes a smaller contract. problem is b marsh will follow him
  3. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +573 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    181ß
    At this point, I don't even tag him. MCown outplayed him, and I'm now sure we can replace him with a good FA or draft. I think he can still be good, moneywise we have too many other needs. Sign him to a small incentive-laden contract and work toward developing a guy for the future. If BMarsh walks, we have AJ to take over.
  4. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +77 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Depending on the severity of this groin injury I think you have to resign him to a short term deal. Franchise tag would be too freakin' big and limit Emery's ability to build a 53-man roster. But I think if Cutler goes into the free agent market that the ball is in his court. He's going up against the likes of Derek Anderson, Josh Freeman, Rex Grossman, Chad Henne, Dan Orlovsky (and not much else) so his agent could easily create a bidding war with how many teams need a quality starter.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,746 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    721ß
    got to FT him, it's 18 of your 50 mil, for 1 year. If you can get him to agree to a short term 3-4 year deal at sub 18 mil great, but I don't think he'd go for that, he can walk into FA and get much more, see the above post. A team like the Jags or Houston or Az would easily pay him a 100mil.

If he plays outstanding next year start to finish and stays healthy for most the year, then give him that 100mil contract.
  6. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I disagree Ricky. I don't know exactly how it would pan out, but if hes out for the season, no one will give him 100 mil, not even the jagoffs.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    492ß
    McCown had a good day. Let's not "crown" him as better than Cutler just yet. You want to always be getting better as a team. Consequently, you don't completely part ways with Cutler until you have a better option. Watch the games on any given Sunday, and see the teams that have NO hope due to mediocre (or worse) quarterbacks. If it was as easy as just "draft a guy" or "grab a FA" and buy your Super Bowl tix, well, don't you think EVERY team would take that cheap way out?

There is no free lunch here.

Cutler is replaceable, but that doesn't mean he's easy to replace. Let's get a solid guy in the fold, before we walk away from Cutler. Get him for at least one year while Trestman can put together a viable "Plan B" here.
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    As far as staying in this season, I'm hoping McCown can play well. If he starts to go into the Jason Campbell/Caleb Hanie direction, I'll vote to pack up shop, and hope for a good draft pick, but until both that, and Jay being done for the season happen, I hope this ship can be righted.
  9. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If Jay is done, we are done. McCown can't and will not sustain this high level of play and you know it
  10. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So far, Jay Cutler is the guy who led us to one less Super Bowl than Rex Grossman. Think about that.

Not all Jay's fault, but he hasn't been consistently productive. I think the money could be put to better use, IMHO.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,746 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    721ß
    You just don't fully understand just how stupid some owners/desperate some owners are.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. butka

butka Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We've finally hired the offensive mind that runs a system that is very QB friendly. We don't need a QB with loads of physical talent. At a minimum, we need a smart QB with a good enough arm. You can find those guys in every draft and this next one is deep. I think we'd be foolish to throw a ton of money at Cutler with this system. I say franchise him and groom his replacement (trade Cutler if his replacement moves along quickly). I wish we had drafted someone this year, but I understand that there were greater needs and we were short on a 3rd rounder.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    492ß
    I like the idea of having a solid guy in place before cutting Cutler. Not because I like or dislike Jay. It just makes sense to be careful here. Getting a QB who can win consistently is not a "sure thing" by any means. It is "hit and miss" at best. So, I figure why not proceed in a safe way. Get a solid guy on board before you boot Cutler out the door.
  14. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    134ß
    ...just go with the hypothetical, guys. This is just designed to get everybody on the record regarding what we should do with Jay. To accomplish this, I am removing the possibility that we franchise Jay next year. Bottom line....at this point in Cutler's tenure with Chicago, do you WANT to sign him to a long-term, "franchise QB" sort of contract? Yes or No. Those are your only two choices.
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +600 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Neither make offer all dependent upon this years results lock in the rest of needed O players. Move to rebuilding the D as fast as you can. Done
  16. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +573 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    181ß
    I'm beginning to tire of the gunslinger mentality. I have been a Cutler defender, but I'm losing my stamina at my older age. I want to see this team win. Throwing into double/triple coverage when there's a guy open on the other side doesn't cut it. If he takes a home team discount/1 year deal to prove himself, sure. Otherwise let him walk - no big deals for him, yet. McCown's performance yesterday showed me that just about any QB can do well in T-man's system. I trust him to not start us off on another QB carousel.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Sign him to short term deal 2 year ish and try to draft his repleacement.. Better hope next years draft class is heavy on QB talent