So, what QB do we draft?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Mar 12, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    and thats that thing Grizz, chances are a guy in the 5th isn't going to start or even see the field to much so you lose nothing by drafting him in the 5th or 6th anyways.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,057 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    And there will be some solid QB projects available in the 5th/6th round of this draft. It's a funny draft at QB this year. I don't think the top tier talent is that great, but that 2nd tier is loaded with guys. Guys Trestman should be able to develop, but not an immediate #2 QB. I do hope we draft plenty of D players in this draft, but I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed a QB in later rounds if a good one drops to us.
  3. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    McCarran or Murray
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +933 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    I like Thomas a lot. His receivers at Tech didn't help him one iota! I'd also like Aaron Murray.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,057 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Thomas could be available to us in the 6th round. The post-combine draft prospect rankings now have him as a 6th or 7th round pick (LINK). We have two 6th round picks and would love to see us use one for him. He's a raw prospect, but he sounds like a good project for Trestman to work with.
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Yep, like Ric said a 5-6 rd pick prolly won't pan out. Considering that, Thomas has by far the highest ceiling so why not give it a rip.
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I've seen recent mocks that show Garoppolo dropping. You never know about QB's and the draft. If he's still there in the 5th (and I really don't think he will be, just going off some of the recent stuff), then I grab him. He's my guy.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,057 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    That's the beauty (and excitement) of the draft. There are often guys who free-fall into your lap that you never expected to be available. That's why you draft BPA rather than reach for a guy. I figure it's a win/win thing to just see if a solid project QB is still there in the late rounds and if so, then grab the guy. Trestman knows quarterbacks, so he'll know who is worth developing. We've never had this kind of coaching talent before. Lovie (or the OC's we've had under Lovie) really couldn't do this. Trestman can.
  9. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    Murray. He'll slide down due to coming off an injury. My son goes to UGA and we follow the team. I think he's a winner.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    The problem with drafting a guy is if he's your number 3 he's spending even less time with quality offensive players and spending very little time facing good defense.

I think the latter rounds of the draft are littered with guys who didn't ever get a shot who could've been pretty good. It's a significant problem that the NFL doesn't have a D-League and a 53 man roster plus practice squad if you have a lot of injuries and special teams guys you can't even have legitimate practices throughout the year for your back ups.

It's one of the problems I have with Palmer and why I don't think he'll be the next McCown. He's young enough at 29 but he hasn't started and played enough games, he's never had the chance to fail enough to improve.

It's why I think sometimes crazy ideas like Sanchez aren't so silly. Here's a guy who's played plenty of games, he's won play off games on the road and he's also made every mistake their is to make. If he had the commitment to learn the Trestman offense and learn from all his mistakes he's at least experienced what not to do.

If we draft a guy and we probably should then I want the guy to be number 2. But given Cutler's injury history and that Palmer has been around the system here and there for a year and apparently has some McCown like traits in the way he fits in the QB room and so on then he's probably worth keeping around. Murray or Mettenburg one of the injured guys might actually make a nice fit as you don't have to worry so much about where they fit as you'd focus a lot on their recovery from injury first.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,623 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    685ß
    Sanchez sucks jo to signing h km
  12. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    I'd like to see somthing from the QB we traded first round draft picks for and a shitload of money.

Anybody know his name ?