So What's The Book On Peppers?..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 1, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Where's your money at on the outcome of this one? I can see three possible scenarios coming.

1) Pep accepts a major reduction is his salary to somewhere around the $5 mil Seattle signed Michael Bennett for last year. That takes his cap hit down by about $9 mil and allows Emery the cap space he needs to bring back at least some of his vet DLineman. No matter how good Pep can be the Bears can't afford an $18 mil cap hit.

2) Pep declines and any restructure without a major reduction in salary just delays the inevitable and increases the potential dead cap space next year. The recovery of the cap space gained by releasing him is too great to ignore so Emery designates him for a June 1st release (gains $14 mil in cap space) and allows him to begin to negotiate with other teams.

3) Emery has enough cap space for now to do what he plans, or he can restructure other deals, and he decides to wait on Pep leaving their proposal on the table hoping that after his agent sounds some teams out about their interest Pep will decide to accept his proposal and cut his salary. I guess they could also release him and try to re-sign him for less but if they do my guess is he'll head for Lovie down in TB.

So what's the consensus of others around here? Of all of the moves Emery has to make this one has the biggest price tag attached to it and yet if there was any way to keep Pep he'd sure like to do it and eliminate the need to come up with another RDE who can do what Pep can.

2. a_miljan

a_miljan
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

first of all, we (i) miss u man, i know its offseason and everything but nevertheless... i would say, in what s likely to happen: 2, 1, 3

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I went back and rewatched the games from last season. I don't claim to understand the reason for Pep's precipitous dropoff in play, but it was a huge drop. I may be completely off base on this, but it looked like he wasn't giving much effort in a number of games. That's a pretty serious thing to contemplate, because Pep has been my #1 favorite player for years now. You hate to think the guy was loafing. But if you watch the games, I do question his effort. If that's the case, then maybe he doesn't want to be here anymore. Or, maybe he doesn't want to play now - maybe his heart just isn't in it anymore. Either way, I don't think we should pay anything to bring him back, even if he'd take a pay cut, if he delivers an "effort cut" in return. Better to move on. That's my 2-cents worth. The Bears may see it differently than I do, so my opinion probably isn't worth much :-)

4. BearJim

BearJim
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I just don't see him taking a huge pay cut & I don't see us keeping him around @ 18M so logic tells me #2 senerio. Now, if he was willing to take a pay cut, healthy, ready & able to bust his ass on every play then I like #1. Last year he was either not happy, not healthy, not able, or some of all three to consistently play at a high level.Glad to see ya posting again Soul.

5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

I think he is good as cut, unless you can talk him into taking a cut all the way down to what his walking away money is if he is cut.

Then it is win win. You get a player to play for the bare minimum you would be paying if you cut him.

6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Depends on what he will take. If he will renegotiate for 5 or 6 million a yr. I would keep him. We still free up $10mm or so and solve a DE Need and allows us to sign an additional DE Wootton or another potential FA.

7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

What is his walk away money? What does he leave with, what do the Bears need to pay to make him go away? What is the bare minimum the Bears will have to pay to replace him with a serviceable replacement.

8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

What is his walk away money? What does he leave with, what do the Bears need to pay to make him go away? What is the bare minimum the Bears will have to pay to replace him with a serviceable replacement.

Somebody like Bennett probably around 8 million a yr. Which we could do with the savings and have a dual threat at each end. You wont find a DE for 5MM that is a threat, so I guess the question is why would Peppers take it. He wont if he does not believe his skills are on the decline and wants to stay with the Bears. Basically whatever we extend a contract to is what it will cost. The dead money does not change from previous prorated bonus. Maybe he will take a 2 yr deal, and we can get the bonus value (4.2 million over next 2 yrs) or if we cut him dead money value. He still has value, the question is how much?

From over the cap salary cap calculator. first is if we do nothing. I updated hayden and Garza so total cap room should be more accurate then reported in other places

upload_2014-3-1_12-22-36.png

NOW LETS SAY WE RESIGN HIM FOR 6 MILLION A YR 2 YRS.

upload_2014-3-1_12-26-29.png

Total cap increase approx. 8 million. Now lets say we cut him post june 1 _ dead money spread over 2 yrs
    upload_2014-3-1_12-29-0.png

Thats pretty much are options:kickas167bd:

9. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

First of all, Soul, glad you're back and don't be such a stranger. Great discussion post...need these things to get through the long painful offseason lol.

Re: Peppers, my first emotional reaction as the season ended was to walk away from him. Whether age or effort related, he had a down year and he's hugely expensive as of right now as you pointed out. But in thinking about it more, I've come around to hoping Emery can pull off a #1 or #3 type scenario. Pep is the only DE we have under contract who's remotely starting caliber and I'm not even sure they will bring Wootton back. I wonder how much of Pep's disappointing performance last year was due to the rest of the DL sucking so badly and him packing it in a bit as the defense as a whole came completely unglued starting about week 5 or so.

It's painfully obvious that the DL needs a major re-tooling. Looking at OUR players, outside FAs likely available, and what the draft seems to offer (esp in the 1st), it appears to me that there is way more options at DT than there is at DE. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. But I don't see Bennett leaving Seattle, Hardy isn't going anywhere, Allen is old, we have nothing else but Corey who's a FA himself, and the first round of the draft looks way deeper at DT than DE as far as value there goes. On the interior, Ratliff and Collins could be retained cheaply, Melton is a possibility (I wouldn't reach too far here), Linval Joseph may hit FA, and the 1st round has definite possibilities (Donald, Jernigan, Nix, maybe Hageman).

Bottom line, Phil has plenty of cap space options to make it possible to keep Pep and not break the bank. I won't go into them but there's way more space potentially there than most realize depending on how aggressive you want to be. If you get Pep back on salary reduction like you mentioned (maybe add in some incentive $ for pro bowl appearance, double digit sacks, staying active 16 games, etc to mollify him), I think you do it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

If the guy is just going through the motions now, and loafing through most of the season's games, do we want to pay ANYTHING for that kind of effort? It just irritates me to think about how we worry about scrimping and saving at other positions, and then we pay significant money to Pep who really isn't any better than Shea at this point in his career. We could use that money in a number of other places - for guys who actually WILL play well. The money could better help the team win, if spent elsewhere.