So What's The Book On Peppers?..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 1, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan Member of the Month DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    8,332ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I agree 100% MP. I'm not denying any of that. Our defense is a total train wreck and Pep is part of it. There isn't an easy answer here. It would make me sick though, to waste millions and millions of dollars on a player who:

1. Can't play well anymore and,
    2. Seems to take entire games off.

I'd rather go a different route, but that's just my disgust over having $18 to $20 million dollars in cap space going to a guy who isn't worth a fraction of that money. Maybe we end up having to pay him anyway....we do kindof have a gun to our head with too many holes to fill. Of course that just makes me even MORE angry with our situation.

What a mess.

#21 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,223ß
    I'd rather go a different route too. I'd like to magically trade Peppers and his residual huge cap hit to Houston for JJ Watt straight up. That will happen when pigs fly.

Emery has to find an RDE replacement first and its not coming from the draft at #14 IMO. Hardy was franchised by Carolina. Bennett may not leave Seattle. Maybe Lamar Houston is an option. We will see soon. But it would be freakin' dumb to cut Pep cuz we're disappointed in him from last year until we have a succession plan in place.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan Member of the Month DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    8,332ß
    I understand, and again, don't disagree. I'm not saying cut Pep because we're disappointed in him. Not at all. In the end (and I realize you know this) it's all about making the money work for you to build the best possible team within cap limitations. Taking an $18 million dollar cap hit this year, and $20 million dollars next year, for Peppers.......man, I'd stroke out. That's a chunk of cash. Some folks here didn't like paying that kind of money to Cutler, but at least he can still help the team. I'm not sure Pep can anymore. I'm just not seeing it.

Soul, you started this thread. What's your take on Peppers?

• Like Like x 1
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,223ß
    No way Pep is staying at his current cap hit. He would need to accept a substantial pay cut to possibly stay. I don't think Emery is going to even open that can of worms until he sees how FA plays out first. The $18-20m cap numbers are purely temporary. They'll either be renegotiated or made meaningless by Peppers' release.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler