So What's The Book On Peppers?..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 1, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    103ß
    I admit, that's a better way of putting it.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    686ß
    The problem is that he already has a big pay day coming, $14 mil worth this year alone and he's under contract through 2015. So we don't need to sign him we need to either get him to take a huge pay cut or release him. The trouble is (see above) that the prospects for replacing him either in FA or early in the draft are not very good at all. There are only two FA pass rushers worth pursuing and no DEs that are worth the #14 pick in the draft.

So...........until Emery figures out what he's gonna do here he can't really make a move. This sure makes re-signing Corey Wootton look like more of an imperative so I don't know what Emery is waiting for.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +996 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Agreed.
    I think we need Wootton back regardless. If we can sign Bennett or Johnson, then Pep is as good as cut and CW mans the other side. Outside of Clowney, no DE rookie has risen up to be a legit option at #14 so let's not reach and instead take a player there who's value is appropriate (eg, Donald). We can draft a DE prospect 2nd - 4th round area to compete for a backup spot.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    686ß
    Accuse no, suspect yes. I truly believe Phil Emery's plan was and to an extent still is, to divest himself of Lovie's guys as quickly as he can subject to his cap limitations. He wants to rebuild "his team" and it's "his team" he wants to win a championship. Everybody has an ego right and successful people generally have the biggest ones. Fortunately for him he inherited an aging defense so he figured he could accomplish it pretty much on the QT and nobody would object too strongly if he spread it out over two or three years.

But 2012 exposed his plan. Many of those key injuries were to some of the younger players or the free agents he signed. His first two drafts also failed to produce even one impact starter and some would question whether they ever will achieve that level of play based on what we've seen so far. So now he finds himself with a shit load of expiring contracts for these guys, no sure thing replacements on the roster, fewer free agents than he'd like that fit his needs, and a draft that's top heavy on offense but not as much on defense.

Phil's painted himself in to corner here a bit and now it's time to see just how good a personnel guy he really is because from where I sit he really has his work cut out for him and so far it doesn't look like he even know for sure where to start. I'm hoping I'm wrong but I have this nagging feeling that a year from now were still gonna have many of these same concerns because the defense may have been weakened both in personnel and coaching beyond the ability of anyone to repair it quickly. JMHO
    • Like Like x 1
  5. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    well some of those D signings were not all that bad, but it just didnt workout. D drafts were plain bad
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    686ß
    Unless I miss my guess and if Wootton's hunch is also correct Emery is gonna let him hit FA on Saturday. He's been rehabbing at the Halas Hall but on Friday any of the guys who've been doing that, including Melton and Collins I would guess, get booted out of there until they're under contract again. So here these guys are putting in time and effort getting themselves healthy and yet they don't even know if their own team is gonna bring them back. Phil Emery may say he'd like them back but we all saw how that worked with Urlacher and Izzy last year.

So can you understand why I have a certain mistrust and dislike for Phil Emery and his disingenuous statements to the press? I want to see a man with a plan and as far as that defense goes I'm not seeing it. They say we're sticking with a 4-3 and then at the same time say we'll base our scheme on the personnel we have. Well right now he has 20 unsigned of his own FAs and quite a few of them play defense. They play 8 man football at many of the smaller rural schools here in Colorado but so far I don't think that's caught on in the NFL. LOL
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    686ß
    But some of them were and the drafts were horrible so far as far as replacing aging players which is why we've been discussing what to do with Peanut, Pep, and even the younger core defenders like Melton, Wootton, and Collins whose contracts he's allowing to expire without any sign at all of competent replacements for them. Maybe he a genius and he has this all figured out but nothing in the recent past indicates that's so. Until I see some moves that make sense my antenna is up and my suspicions are aroused.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +996 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Soul, I was as pissed as anyone when the BU situation ended like it did. But I grudgingly came to admit that Emery was RIGHT in his decision even if it could have been handled better. Urlacher was offered a deal that no one else in the NFL made him. Heck, he didn't even get any vet min offers we know of from 31 other teams.

I certainly don't doubt that many new GMs and new HCs want to "put their stamp" on a team. But I see little evidence that Phil is trying to run "Lovie guys" outta town as fast as he can regardless of worth or value. As I pointed out, outside of Urlacher who was aging and slow and Roach, a udfa minor figure, the entire returning starting lineup on D last year were "Lovie guys". He just re-signed one of them (Jennings) as well as two others on offense (Cutler and Gould) to long-term contracts with Forte having gotten his 2 years ago.

We don't know yet what is going to happen with Peppers, Tillman, and Melton. There are valid cases to be made either way that depend upon other factors we have discussed here. Pros and cons everywhere. I suspect that 1-2 will be gone and 1-2 will be back. But whoever goes and whoever stays, IMHO there are justifiable reasons for it beyond Emery just mindlessly cleaning house of the prior regime's players.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +996 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Does anyone here really want their GM mouthing off to the press about exactly what he's going to do like some sort of teenage schoolgirl gossiping in gym class?
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    686ß
    You're misinterpreting my posts. That wasn't my point. I wasn't referring to talk, I was referring to action and some of his actions belie what few words he does choose to share. Some peoples arrows point up and other point down but for at least a year now his has been pointing sideways. I'll just use his own words and say that he had an 8-8 season too and I expected better because he promised better and what few moves I do see him making with the defense (beginning with retaining Tucker) don't exactly fill me with confidence.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    686ß
    Oh it's not mindless. It's very cold and calculated and all you have to do is sit back and watch it happen. If I'm wrong and in the end he begins to do things differently I'll admit it. I'm too cold and logical not to and maybe that's why I see through Emery in ways other's don't. He's very much that way but his ego is running the show some days not his logic and when you look for it it shows.
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +496 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    I hear what you are saying but all those guys are up there in age. You could make the same argument that they can be replaced for less money and equal skills. The younger players have a higher upside than the downside of the near retiring player. Its hard to admit your time as a athlete has passed, especially at the NFL level they play at, the camaraderie in the locker room and all those things. Urlacher had an offer and thought he was worth more, no other team gave him what he wanted either, I think Emery did us a favor not overpaying for a previous superstar whose best days had past. The same is occurring now with Tillman and Peppers, and Hester the question is at what price do they add value to the team. DJ Williams played on a relatively inexpensive 1 yr deal and got hurt, I suspect Emery has DJ in the same pile of risk as he does Peppers, and Tillman. Robbie Gould is a Lovie Player and resigned. There were/are several players on the team whose best years have passed and they need to be replaced over time. I believe much of this has to do with timing as we do not have a young Urlacher, Briggs, or Peppers to really test your theory.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    686ß
    Robbie is a poor example. First of all he's very nearly the most accurate kicker in NFL history and you don't let that go at age 31. He also was never part of that defensive Lovie support society but Urlacher and Izzy were and so was Devin Hester on the other side of the ball. Now all are gone. Whose left? Peanut and Pep for sure and maybe Melton or Wootton but if so to a far lesser degree although I know Melton would love to reunite with Marinelli in Dallas. Briggs is around the same age as Peanut and Pep but Briggs is a smooth operator and Briggs takes care of Briggs first so he never spoke out about it much one way or another and he's an untouchable even with three new LBs far younger than him one of whom should be playing WLB not competing at MLB and SLB. Funny how these things work when a little politics enters into the picture. Jennings was also smart enough to speak out in support of Tucker so he gets a new deal yet he's only two years younger than Peanut. Hmmmmm.......

I'm aware that some of these guys never "bought into" Tucker and his schemes and as it turns out they were probably right. So since we kept Tucker logic dictates they have to go. But doesn't this keep the coach but replace the team strategy strike you as being a little backward? MLB teams with that dilemma fire the manager. They don't do a fire sale with their player roster. Well, unless you're the Cubs and then you do both, LOL. :lol-027: I feel I'm right about this BSB and I realize that I harp on it but I don't expect anyone else to agree with me and I never have. I'm just sharing one man's opinion albeit a very strong one that Phil Emery is willing to divest himself of still productive players who showed too much loyalty to the old coaching regime and the evidence to support it is pretty strong so far. Especially since the greatest return man in NFL history who still had a productive year in 2013 never even got a vet minimum invite to the 2014 ball. Think about it.

:drinking61:
  14. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +444 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I find it funny people blame Emery for the dismantling of Bears defense. When it was the fault of previous regime that could never give that defense any legitimate offense. The defense became old and broken down the year a real offense shows up just 9 years to late.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    103ß
    +1

I just hope we don't have to wait for 9 years for the defense to show up now that we have a good offense. It seems so ironic - but the kind of irony that only a Chicago Bears or Cubs fan could appreciate. Sometimes I think we're cursed :)
  16. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +444 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    To blame the entire failings of this defense because they didn't bring back a broken down Urlacher is laughable. I believe in this regime's ability to rebuild a D than the old regime's ability to build an offense. Since this new regime has only been really at it for only one half years and already set records on the side of the ball we didn't even knew existed in Chicago. So I believe these guys have the intellect to know how to develop the Da side of football.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    103ß
    I hope that is the case. I also hope the Cubs win the World Series this year. Hope. Let's see if they can actually DO it :-)
    I truly am hopeful, but I've come to the point in my life that I realize that I need to wait and SEE if teams can walk-the-walk, instead of just talking-the-talk. Bears teams (and the Cubs) are all about talk, but usually don't win many Super Bowls or World Series. Am a cynic here? No. Just waiting and hoping that THIS present Bears crew can be the "real deal" and not just us "hoping" they are the real deal. They need to prove it. Let's see them build this defense. Hopefully they can :-)