Some Pre-Camp News and Rumblings..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jul 10, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Chicago Bears: Recapping the Latest Buzz Heading into Training Camp

By Ross Read , Featured Columnist
    Jul 10, 2014

[​IMG]

Nam Y. Huh/Associated Press

It's been a long wait, but finally the end is near. Training camp is on the horizon for the Chicago Bears, and the buzz surrounding this team is loud and exciting. There have been plenty of storylines and changes to the roster all summer, but what's the latest news going into camp?

Here's the latest buzz surrounding the Bears as they prepare to head to Bourbonnais, Illinois.

Pat O'Donnell Is Not a Shoo-in at Punter
    [​IMG]

Wilfredo Lee/Associated Press

Usually when a team drafts a punter, he's the guy going forward. Sixth-round pick Pat O'Donnell may still be the guy, but he's going to have to earn it. According to Larry Mayer at ChicagoBears.com, O'Donnell will have to beat out first-year pro Tress Way.

Way has looked good in offseason workouts and has caught the eye of special teams coach Joe DeCamillis.

O'Donnell averaged a school-record 47.1-yard gross at the University of Miami last year. Oklahoma product Way averaged 38.2 yards during his time with the Bears last preseason.

Marc Trestman Is the NFL's Phil Jackson?
    [​IMG]

Head coach Marc Trestman's journey is long and distinguished. His history before getting a head coaching job in the NFL, coupled with his cerebral mind, has drawn comparisons to legendary NBA coach Phil Jackson.

Syracuse offensive coordinator George McDonald got to spend some time with the Bears back in May. He came away from his visit with the team with some high praise for Trestman.
    McDonald said, per Nate Mink of Syracuse.com:

For a loose term he's kind of the Phil Jackson of the NFL in terms of how he sees the game from a different picture other than just football and Xs and Os. I've always been intrigued by him. I've heard a lot of great things."I think he sees the game from a different perspective. He's really good with dealing with players and communicating his vision.
    Trestman has done wonders with the offense in only one season, but it remains to be seen whether he can get the whole team on board and back into the playoffs for the first time since 2010.

Don't Be Concerned with Who Starts at Linebacker
    [​IMG]

Jeff Chiu/Associated Press

Anybody caught up with who the three starting linebackers will be once the season starts should probably let that go, because it really doesn't matter.

Lance Briggs, D.J. Williams, Jon Bostic and Shea McClellin will all see significant time on the field depending on the situation.

Adam Jahns from the Chicago Sun-Times brought up some very accurate scenarios.

Briggs will be entrenched at his usual spot, but Bostic will see time with Williams on short-yardage and first-down scenarios. Bostic will see a lot of time in the nickel package, with Williams in the base, while McClellin will be in on blitzing and pass-rushing situations.

This means Briggs will be the leader in snaps, but the other three will see a substantial amount of time on the field.

Bears Have No Clue Who Their Return Man Is
    [​IMG]

David Richard/Associated Press

When camp starts, it will be a wide open competition to see who replaces Devin Hester as the team's primary return man. Eric Weems, Michael Ford, Chris Williams, Micheal Spurlock and Armanti Edwards are the players battling for the spot.

“We have a lot of experience back there,” said special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis, per the team's official website. “There’s a lot of talent and that’s really what you want when you’re evaluating.”

Initially, it looks like Weems and Williams have the upper hand. Weems had some success in the same role with the Atlanta Falcons, and Williams was a record-breaking return man in the CFL.

Jay Cutler Has Made "Incredible Progress"
    [​IMG]

Charles Rex Arbogast/Associated Press

Jay Cutler was on his way to an impressive first season in Marc Trestman's offense before he got hurt. Cutler still managed to finish with a career-best 89.2 passer rating to go along with 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

With a new contract and no Josh McCown, Cutler will be looked upon to take an even bigger leap this season.

Quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh has been impressed with what he's seen from Cutler so far. He told Chris Boden of CSNChicago.com:

I've seen incredible progress. To his credit, he’s taken every suggestion we’ve given and he’s embraced it. From how he holds the ball to how he lines up in the`Gun’ pre-snap to how he drops back, to his throwing base to his follow-through. Every little fundamental we’ve talked to him about, he’s embraced, and it’s like night and day.
    All eyes will be on Cutler as we wait to see if his offseason progress will translate to training camp and the regular season.

Brandon Marshall Looks to Continue His "Inspirational" Comeback
    [​IMG]

It certainly has been the summer of Brandon Marshall. Since signing his new deal, the All-Pro receiver has been very vocal about his life transformation and his excitement for playing with the Bears.

Marshall has had a well-documented checkered past, but he's been a changed man since joining the Bears.

In ESPN The Magazine's Comeback Issue, he talked about his growth as a person and where he's at now mentally:

When you look at where I’m at today, there’s no comparison. It’s night and day. It’s a 180-degree turn. Last year I grew spiritually, and that was the first time I was able to step outside myself on this spiritual journey and be able to say, 'You know what, I don’t know what’s gonna happen. But I’m gonna serve Alshon Jeffery. I’m gonna serve Martellus Bennett.' Because I know there’s something bigger. I’m a part of something greater. I can’t wait to see what it is. But I know if I just continue to pour into those young men’s lives, we will be great together.
    When asked by ESPNChicago.com's Michael C. Wright during the interview, "How would you describe your comeback?" Marshall said, "inspirational."
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Just a summary of some of the stories that have and haven't been posted over the past week or so.

Best News: Cutler has really taken to the teachings of Matt Cavanaugh as far as the improvements he and Trestman set out to make in Jay's mechanics. That was the area of physical improvement that needed work and now if they've made him into a better decision maker as well the transformation should be about complete.

Worst News: Eric Weems is still around and actually being given a shot at the return job.

I Know I Said It But I Don't Really Mean It: That goes to Joe D for hinting that Tress Way even has a prayer of winning the Punters job. Come on Joe. Uncle Phil won't let that happen.

As Predicted: It's beginning to look more and more like we'll have a four man rotation at LB with Briggs, DWill, Bostic, and McClellin all seeing significant playing time. This one wasn't too hard to call even a month ago.

Huh?: Comparing Marc Trestman to Phil Jackson????? Isn't Phil much taller?

Bears Best Motivational Speaker: Brandon Marshall hands down.
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Just my personal opinion ... I think Trestman is a much better person than Phil Jackson is and this gives him the potential to be a much better coach.
  4. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    whats wrong with Phil?
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Does Brandon Marshall go into the hall of fame, if he can continue to be both an on and off field star?
  6. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I always thought Phil got too much credit for the success of the Bulls championship teams. He is great at managing the personalities but it was always my impression that the actual nuts and bolts of the offense and the defense was done by his assistants.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I was never able to buy in to Jackson as the great coach. You obviously can't argue with his record though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

But Phil is still a lot taller right? Maybe if Trestman grew a goatee.......hmmm? :think: ...... :4 13 4[1]:
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I realize that they can't just hand the returners job to Chris Williams but they didn't spend $100k to get him here not to give him first shot at it. I mean I dare Eric Weems to prove me wrong but I'm still not sure why he's even around period let alone in competition for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Weems is around for the same reason that Tress Way is around. Insurance in case Williams turns into a total bust, gets injured, etc.

And the competition keeps Williams (and O'Donnell) on his toes. The message is clear, no one has a guaranteed job.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Aw I know, I'm just a little disappointed in how little the guy has done vs how much he got paid not to do it. :badmood: It just seems like a waste to me because Corey Graham was a better STeams guy than Weems and we never did need Weems somewhat questionable return talents anyway.

If Williams show anywhere near the big play ability he showed in the CFL I can't believe he won't at least get the PR job and I'd rather see us keep some of the younger DBs or RBs to replace Weems on the coverage units.

I don't hate the guy but IMHO it's time to move on from him and let the younger guys have a shot.
  13. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    I think a lot of that will depend on how the young guys do on special teams. If I am correct Weems was a gunner and somebody will have to beat him out of that on special teams to take his spot. With that said, I agree I hope we keep some of the younger talent, especially some of the DB's or the LB Jones before we keep Weems.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Actually I think McManis and Bowman were the gunners last year but you're right. The best 53 man mix is whose gonna get game jerseys and until someone takes his job from him it's still his. But just like you, I'm hoping we have better players coming up through the ranks.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,022 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    Gotta love that ^^^^^
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,275 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    If Weems sticks and O'donnell goes then Denmark is still rotten.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Yeah, so now what are the hater's gonna hate if Jay keeps taking their favorite excuses away from them? LOL
  18. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    He still has jerk-face.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

:jawdrop:
  20. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    My guess the haters will say any average QB could do the same if not better job then Cutler with all the talent he has around him now.

But I know it takes far more then just good talent around a QB to make a winning team.
    • Agree Agree x 1