Sounds like BMarsh wants to finish his career a Bear, doesn't want max money

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Mar 27, 2014.

1. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I applaud BMarsh more and more every year and a true veteran and leader by example. Check out his comments. Willing to forego his last massive payday for the team. I love it.

Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post/_/id/4691320/marshall-not-worried-about-extension

When the Chicago Bears restructured Jay Cutler's contract to clear cap space, speculation surfaced that it was to enable the Bears to sign All-Pro receiver Brandon Marshall to a long-term extension.

Instead, Chicago signed Jared Allen to a four-year deal, and Marshall is heading toward the last year of his contract.

While some might expect an athlete to feel slighted by a lack of extension, Marshall is taking the opposite approach. A recognized team leader, Marshall is hosting teammates for workouts in Florida. And he's glad the Bears acquired Allen, making the team stronger as Marshall pursues the first postseason experience of his career.

"I have another year left on my contract. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, I'm glad to be a Bear for another year and I'm going to force them to sign me after next year," Marshall said Thursday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN Chicago 1000. "One way or another, they're going to get the deal done.

"But if it comes down to next year, I'll be picketing outside of Halas Hall for a new deal, a new contract, because I'm not going anyplace."

Marshall has established himself as perhaps the greatest receiver in Bears history in just two seasons, both of which featured at least 100 catches and over 1,295 yards. Are the Bears risking paying a higher price if they let Marshall add to his impressive resume in the 2014 season?

"I'm not going anywhere, man," Marshall said. "The guys that are out there now like Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald they're making $16 million, $15 million a year, and I'm not looking for anything like that. A lot of that money goes to the quarterback position and rightfully so.

"For me, we do want to sign guys like Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston and we got Martellus [Bennett] last year and have Matt Forte. I do want to be in a good position, but at the same time I definitely am not trying to be in the $15 million range. I get a year to deal with that, and right now I'm focusing on how to be a better teammate. How can I grow as a receiver, as a man, as a leader on this team and also in the community. How can our foundation do bigger things? That stuff is going to take care of itself. We have all year to figure that out and I believe we'll get it done before the end of the season and I'm going to be happy when we do. "

:23_28_100[1]::23_28_100[1]:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    I know I've said it before on here but the guy really has turned his life around since his shaky early days in the league. He is an inspiration and very classy guy, im very impressed with how he is living his life and how he handles himself. A good man.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,837 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,050ß
    Is this the same as Cutler stating he would give the team a "hometown discount" which was EXACTLY NOT what happened?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Quick somebody check his DNA. Maybe the real Brandon Marshall got kidnapped and this is the guy who replaced him. Pope BMarsh. LOL

Yeah, he become a new man since he arrived. You couldn't ask for a better leader and teammate. He's said a few things similar to this before but never quite as direct. He loves playing with Cutler and he wants a ring while he here no matter how long it takes. Hell he could be here for another 5 or 6 years one year at a time.
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,382 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Whatever happens let's keep this vet working out and mentoring others in the off season thing going and expand on it greatly.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I know I floated this is another thread recently but maybe something like 3-36 or 4-48 gets it done with either 24 million on the 3-36 or 32 million guaranteed on the 4-48? I didn't break this down but throwing this out there. BTW overthecap.com has the Bears at 97.6 million or so in CAP spend next year. That means in theory if the CAP will be 140 we will have 42.4 million to spend. We can afford BMarsh and 1 more splash signing.

Chicago Bears 2015 Salary Cap

Offensive Spend: 17 Players $52,292,587
    Defensive Spend: 17 Players $40,209,662
    Specials Spend: 4 Players $5,205,000

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,716 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    808ß
    How dense are you to say that AFTER Cutler agrees to a peroration of his salary takes place, to make room for a top end, pass rushing DE?
  8. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    HB, it could be that although Cutler signed a contract giving Emery the power to change the salary into a pro-rated bonus it is still guaranteed money. I think he gets it up front still and the cap hits get spread out over the life of the contract.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +336 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    190ß
    He had no choice, but Cutty always sacrifies for them team! :)
  10. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Just curious to see if anyone will guess as to how much of a discount BMarsh will give the Bears? I say Emery should offer in the neighbourhood of 3-33/36 or 4-44/48 with 55-60% guaranteed. What thinks ye fellow Bears fans?
  11. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I hope this is all true and it works out that Marshall retires as a Bear. This is the team where he matured and really became an effective team leader. He is a real team player. I know he mopes a bit when he doesn't get a lot a balls thrown his way, but what premier receiver doesn't.

It would be really cool if Marshall ended up taking the elder statesman role that Tillman will vacate when he retires. I think he can do it.
  12. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    DC, what kind of contract do you think Emery could/should offer as an extension or new if he hits FA?
  13. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,327 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,869ß
    I love B-Marsh but I find it funny that he compares himself to Calvin Johnson when talking about money. He is not at good as CJ and will not get nearly as much as him.

But he use him to say "they are going to ask for this...... I won't"

Easy to say that when he knows he won't get nearly as much even without a discount.

However, I hope he stays at what he feels is a team friendly deal and it actually is one.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,837 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,050ß
    He still gets his money Henry, stop drinking you holic!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Not sure. It needs to be close to market. If his FA market value would be $6M per year (just a figure I pulled out of my butt) I don't see how we could offer him a lot less unless his skills were starting to fall off. I am hoping his comments mean that (continuing my $6M example) if all we could do is $5M that he might walk away form a $6.5M offer from another team (especially if the team was something like Jacksonville).

But a lot would depend on where the team is cap-wise vs other needs. It could end up where Marshall leaves because we need too much money elsewhere.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,183 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,125ß
    Based on the fact that a guy who only had one good year in the league, was out of the league twice, and and thrown more interceptions than td's prior to last year got 5 mill a season...yeah, I'd say we got a discount if he was to reach the market this year.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,837 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,050ß
    disagree butkus, he got the money Romo got, that's current market value, 1 playoff win in 6 years isn't worth current market value fo a "franchise qb, an inability to stay in 16 games isn't worth "market value". Cutler shouldn't have earned more then 18mil a year(FT level), and honestly it should have been closer to 15 which would have been "hometown discount".

All I'm saying is that players I don't beleive players when they say "i'll take less money here" until they do. Words are cheap, and Cutler this past year is the perfect example.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,183 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,125ß
    I agree with your last statement, that until players actually take less money, like Bennett did in Seattle, it's tough to believe. Cutler should have gotten 18 mill because thats what the market is now. The players who are earning around 15 now, will be earning 18 when their deals are up. What do you think Eli, Stafford and Cam are going to get when their deals are up?
  19. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +336 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    190ß
    i think jay got maximum money, there was no discount here, and not sure somebody else would offer him (substantialy) more. he doesnt have any real success, so this is probably too much, but it is what it is, 15mil/y would be just fine
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,837 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,050ß
    Eli already got his big contract I expect him to make less, I'll bet Stafford and Cam get something along the lines of 25-30mil in the next 1-2 years.