Sounds like BMarsh wants to finish his career a Bear, doesn't want max money

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,291 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    Both of you, go back and read the interview. He only said he would be willing to give up a few million as part of his discount. He did exactly that, and both of you are apparently willfully ignorant of the fact that he won't be seeing anywhere near that $100 million, not to mention this turns Cutler's contract into a only 4/7 instead of a 3/7 (years he will be on the payroll).
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Ric, I know you hate Cutler (and he pisses me off too when he throws dumb picks in bunches). I know you hated his contract. But, let's be realistic here....there was no other reasonable choice. He's an above average QB in a league where there isn't even 32 "starter caliber" decent ones. We weren't going to risk letting him walk and chancing it on the draft. Thank God, because this draft doesn't look nearly as strong in QB talent as was predicted a few months ago. And rebuilding the D with young talent is even more pressing. Plus there's the Marshall synergism (which is HUGE, see Florida stuff). And the fact that years 2 & 3 working in Trestman's system with this baller receiving corps should only make him better and better.

His contract was reasonable MARKET VALUE but also structured in a team friendly way. There was no dead money or guaranteed dollars past year 3 (originally). And he agreed to a team option conversion clause that made signing Allen possible without having to go through the shenanigans of getting some prima donna athlete to agree to a restructure in advance. It was a fair deal for both sides and the right move.

Getting back now to the topic of the thread, I really really hope Phil gets a Marshall extension done this summer. Lock him down for 4-5 years with the Stein safeguards built in he's legendary for.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,485 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    1) I don't hate Cutler, I don't think he, or Romo, or Ryan or Stafford or any of the other teir 2 guys are worth 20 mil a year. Good, but not worth that. But at least Ryan and Romo and Stafford have shown durrable.
    2) I do hate the contract for the above reason.
    3) There is ALWAYS other choices, the reason there were no choices is b/c in prevoius years people said "there was no other choise" and again said that. Its rarely the case.
    4) 20 mil for a unhealthy average qb is not "team friendly"
    5) Regardless of the above, it wasn't the hometown discount he talked about.

back on subjecct I hope so to, but I just don't want to hear another Bears player talk about taking giving a discount less then a year after Cutler said the same thing and didn't. I do want Marshal back though, discount or not I hope he's here helping the team win and the younger players develop.
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß

Exactly. This was nothing more than an accounting maneuver to create more cap space this year. All they did was take a very small portion of Jay's guaranteed salary and convert it to a signing bonus they could spread out over 5 years. So this year he get's the same $22.5 mil but $5 mil is accounted for as a SB spread over 5 years. So for 2014 he gets $17.5 as salary and $1 mil of that SB hits the cap. Total 2014 cap cost = $18.5 mil. Total 2014 cap savings = $4mil.

Any media mensa who depicts this as Cutler having sacrificed anything in order to sign Allen doesn't know what he's talking about. The clause that allowed the Bears to do this at their discretion was already built into Jay's new contract and that was disclosed when the deal was signed months ago. The same clause also exists in Jennings's deal and Slauson's and possibly Robbie Gould's as well.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    With Jay, I just think Trestman needs to always have a solid #2 QB who can keep our season moving forward when Jay is nicked up. I'm really really curious to see who our #2 ends up being this year. I think this is a "bigger deal" than most fans believe it is. I think this is one key to a successful season here in Chicago. If that guy ends up keeping a couple of games in the "win" column, instead of losses, that can be the difference between winning or losing the division. Especially since we no longer have a defense that can take over a game for the offense and manhandle a strong opponent to save our offense. This team will pretty much live or die by the offense - and the QB.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,485 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    shut your damn mouth when you are talking about me!

I fully understand how this changes his contract, and no one said he would see $100 mil. But the money that got prorated will still be seen by cutler it just gets bumped back a few years which is my point.
    Go back to the barroom, or the classroom boy :bye::lol-027:
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    It's ~ $18m/yr for 3 years in effect. Like it or not, that is the MARKET PRICE.
    And there was no other choice. The chance to have another choice sailed several years back.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    How do you misinterpret stuff like this so often Benji?

Megatron and Fitzgerald were signed to ridiculous deals that will have to be restructured to be sustainable for their teams so they aren't hamstrung by their cap costs as time goes by. In fact I believe Fitzgerald has already agreed to one restructure of his. I'm not sure about Megatron but I know it's been discussed.

Marshall was simply saying he wasn't looking for that kind of money despite the fact that as a top five WR he could easily ask for it and in the open market may have been able to at least get close. Whether or not he's better than Megatron isn't the point. He's in the same class as those guys and could easily demand that be taken into consideration.

Cutler received a contract that was inline with what top ten QBs are getting but it wasn't the highest one. No one could deny that Marshall would qualify for the same. He's every bit as effective as the Bears #1 WR as Megatron and Fitzgerald are for the Lions and the Cards. He wants to stay with the Bears and he's making it known that he'll accommodate them monetarily when it comes time for a new deal.

He's not dumb. He knows that his partner Alshon Jeffery is also gonna be due for an extension as early as next year and his deal ends this year. He wants to keep both of them intact as the Bears WR duo because that benefits him as well as the team. That's why he's saying what he is. That may also lead to Jeffery tempering his demands as well so the Bears an afford to keep both together for several more years.

Geez Benji, isn't it getting a little tiring carrying around that half full glass. Why don't you either fill it up or set it down. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    im glad Soul is not on my case :) but i do enjoy reading ur posts
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    The reason he isn't looking for that type of money is because he would not get it even if he wanted it
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Don't expect Ric to change his thinking about Cutler. Not even if he takes us to a Super Bowl. Ric was the one who debated with me last spring or summer over McCown not being an NFL level QB period. You can debate it with him all you like MP but I've stopped because his stubbornness and his emotions overrule logic and common sense.

Ric, still think McCown is less than an NFL capable starting QB? Lovie was willing to spend $10 mil to find out. :D
  12. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    It's easy to say I am not looking for 18M+ or whatever it was when you know you are not going to get it and claim that your getting less is to the tune of home town discount
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Says YOU. Since when did you become an expert NFL player agent? Once again even after I explained it you completely miss the point. Whether he'd get it or not is an unknown. You just THINK he wouldn't. Did any of us think Josh McCown would get a $10 mil deal? No.

What I interpreted Marshall to say is that he was not looking for top money, not even gonna ask for it nor expect it. I believe he also said he'd play on one year deals until they kicked him to the curb. LOL I don't really believe he means that and they won't but he was simply making the point that this is now his NFL home and where he'd like to finish his career.

That's what he said. The only manner in which he was comparing himself to any other top five WR was in what he expected to be paid and that was LESS. That's the ONLY important thing to derive from it. It has nothing to do with whose better. Now go fill up that glass. This is something to be pleased about not skeptical. If he changes his mind THEN you can be skeptical, but not now.

:13_4_9[1]: Here, and while you at it fill mine up too.......please.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    LOL, I do understand frustration with his turnovers (have had it myself) and "Cutler fatigue syndrome". But his contract isn't killing us thanks to some really nifty work by Emery and Stein. It is a reasonable market value deal for a QB who may not be elite but is talented enough to win the whole enchilada with a good surrounding cast. And I see Emery assembling that right before our eyes.

I'd rather have Jay, issues and all, than Stafford and Romo who seem to melt down every December. And it sure as hell beats trolling around for QB-trash in FA like teams have been doing lately with Sanchez and Schaub.
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    In the world of sports you never take a player at face value especially with contacts not being guaranteed.

Perhaps it's just my dislike of the term hometown discount and how it always gets thrown out. Players see others at their position getting paid (X) and while being good they know they will get significantly less than (X) on the market so they play up the fans saying they won't ask for (X) [all the while they know they wont get it] because they "like it here and will stay for less than the market rate." Then when they sign for (X-1) they can pound their chest and look as though they took a "home town discount" by leaving money on the table.

To me it is an empty phrase to garner fan support.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    You guys should be ashamed of knocking Cutler's contract amount. The poor guy (and Kristin) don't make enough money to even afford immunization shots for their kids. He needs to check out Obamacare for help on this.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    At least they can afford to feed their kids.... Poor Gould could not afford to feed his family before his deal....
    • Like Like x 3
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    I still think McCown is less than an NFL capable starting QB, which is why his career is what it was.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    :2up::2up:
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,485 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß

IS soul talking shit? I thought I was ignored. Ask him how Jeremy Bates was going to fix the O for the Bears in 2012 b/c of how great he worked w/Cutler in Den. Or how Weems(I know he's all about revisionist history now) was a great singing, or how about how great the great signing of Marion the Barbarian Barber. Soul's choices of "good and bad" are actually worse then most; that fool thought Martz was going to turn it around :laughing-019: