Sounds like BMarsh wants to finish his career a Bear, doesn't want max money

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,800 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,209ß
    While it sounds nice for now, ill wait until its all said and done before patting Marsh on the back for his humility. Too many times i have seen players say things similar to this, only to reverse course and chase the money when push comes to shove. Actions speak louder than words.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    It is but we both know that most public opinion can be illustrated by a bell curve. On one end Jay has Kristin, his friends and family, plus Brandon Marshall and all those other "Cutler lovers" who will believe he wears a big red S on his chest under his jersey. On the other end we have the "Cutler haters" who, even if he wins a Super Bowl, will claim that the defense did it for him because he threw two picks and they saved his ass. And this would happen even if he passed for 400 yards and 4 tds. :rolleyes:

In the great middle sits the majority who realize he's no gift from God but rather that he's the best QB this team has seen since the days of Sid Luckman and if there was anyone better either in the NFL today or in the draft it's highly unlikely Uncle Phil would have given him a 7 year deal and effectively guaranteed the first three years of it. Fans who can process information logically and put down their emotional and unsubstantiated beliefs can do this. The people on the high end of the curve are maybe a little too trusting and have a little too much faith in their friends, loved ones, and Jay Cutler as well. But they do that with a lot of people. It's their way.

But the ones on the low end of that curve, the "haters', are mostly psychotically angry at anyone who doesn't live up to THEIR ideas of what a person should be, including Jay Cutler. They're also so illogical and emotionally unstable that they aren't even able to admit they might be wrong about anything they've developed deep convictions about. I swear that when they die and meet St. Peter at the entrance gate they'll argue with him about whether they're actually dead or not. These people need professional help desperately and I'm not the one to give it to them. I have my own crosses to bear too. So with all due respect, and with more then they've given me, I've simply put them on ignore so I don't have to even read their crap any longer let alone respond to it which I seldom do gracefully. :shoot:

Wanting to keep in Loki's good graces and far enough away from the Ban Hammer so as not be struck by it I try my best to wear my "plays well with others" badge as often as possible and keep my "runs with scissors" badge stowed away as much as I can. :smilebig:
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I think that's the fair and logical way to look at it. I'm not handing him any awards for it right now. It was good of him to say it but whenever anyone talks about their paycheck there usually a motive for doing. His deal is up the end of this year and it never hurts to grease the skids a little, raise your hand and say, "I'll take a little of that "contract candy" you're passing out too". "Not a whole handful, I'm not gonna be greedy, but enough to last me for a bit would be nice thank you very much".
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,365 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,361ß
    Not me. If Cutty struggles this year I'm blaming Conte :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    And Mel Tucker!!!
    • Like Like x 3
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,794 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,990ß
    Forte was to old, Marshal had to many drops and Fendi didn't step up. Never is a problem w/Cutler he's the bestest in the WORLD!
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Maybe and maybe not. Didn't Michael Bennett give the Seahawks a hometown discount right after he said that he wouldn't. I think his words were something to the effect of "this ain't Walmart or Costco". LOL The Bears offered more but he went back to Seattle for less. Wouldn't you call that a hometown discount?

I don't necessarily disagree with you Benji. There are, I'm sure, far more instances where players have said things like this and then let their agents, or whoever, get in their heads and that all goes out the window. But in this case I'm looking at who said it and it's also a repeat of what he's said before. This contract issue was brought up before and it will be again. Then, and now, his words have been consistent. He's far more interested in winning a championship than being the highest paid WR in the NFL or even the highest paid player on his team. That came up towards the end of last season and his words were similar to these.

I'm not gonna get into all the whys and wherefores but I've been around the Brandon Marshall thing a lot. Both as a Bronco fan and a Bears fan and I'm telling you honestly that this is a completely different person than the one who played here and the one who, despite being an All Pro WR, was traded to Miami for two draft picks. I don't know much about what happened in Miami but whatever it was it must not have been good because we stole him for two even lesser draft picks and through all of this he's been one of the top WRs in the NFL no matter what.

He's not gonna play for free but I'll take him at his word for now that when it comes to negotiating a new deal that he won't play hardball. We have nothing to lose by believing it do we. I think when you're trying to make amends for a lot of bad things you've done during your career and you stick your neck out as far as he has with comments like this you risk and even worse backlash if you don't keep your word. He saw Emery take care of Cutler without any big stink in the negotiations and he's also Phil's boy and one of his proudest moments as Bears GM. I think it'll all work out just fine.
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +961 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,190ß
    Hate to see what Koepernick and Russell Wilson will get if CAM and Stafford get that much
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Geez Henry, do we have to draw you a picture? He didn't give up anything, nothing, nada, niente, not one red cent! Stop thinking AND saying that he was willing to give up something. He didn't. He gets the same $54 mil guaranteed over three years and the same $22.5 mil this year and the same salaries the rest of his contract calls for as long as he plays and subject whatever deduction he agreed to for missed games or not showing up for the offseason workouts. Nothing changed except the way the single $5 mil conversion of his salary to a signing bonus is accounted for as part of the 2014-2018 cap.

He still gets $22.5 mil in pay this year but we save $4 mil in cap space which I assume was used for Allen. Then his pay stays the same for the next 6 years but his cap hit is $1 mil higher in 2015-2018. Nothing changed except the cap accounting. The only thing correct here is that he'll have $2 mil of that amortize bonus left after the 2016 season so if we were to trade or release him then we'd have $2 mil of dead cap space. Big whoop. The cap is projected to be around $160 mil or more by then so I think we can handle $2 mil.

Whether he sees all $126.7 mil has no bearing on this. That's all future dollars. This had everything to do with now and nothing to do with later. It's the same $$$ in cash, it's just a different cap accounting. That's all it is.
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +961 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,190ß
    Guess you will be talking about Donald when you get there
    :002::4_15_1[1]::4_16_1[1]::4_1_111[1]::bah::bouncelaugh::bouncesm::bouncesm::haha::lol3::lolsign::rofl2::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,794 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,990ß
    BS, at some point the QB's contracts will adjust back down, but it won't be soon. The amount of money given to clear teir 2 qb's the last 3-4 years has been absurd, I laughed at them, and I'm not going to all of a sudden sit quietely like it's okay for the Bears to do it now.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    OMG, that's funny.
    Conte, not that he's anything special I agree, was about #13 on the top 15 list of reasons why the defense blew last year.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I'm not really on Benji's case. But we do have a long and distinguished history of disagreeing about certain things.

That happens a lot with die hard Cubs fans. They keep believing things are getting better when they're actually seeing them getting worse. Just think of the amazing faith, strength and confidence they have. They are quite unshakeable in their belief that some day, before they die, the Cubs will actually win another World Series. Poor deluded wretches. They're more to be pitied than scorned. :gosox1:

:rofl2:
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +961 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,190ß
    I agree. My grandparents grandparents never seen it, my grandparents never seen it, my parents never seen it, and I dont expect to ever see it.:36_1_55[1]:
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    As long a the cap continues going up and the game remains heavily pass/QB-dependent, contracts are going to only go higher. Kaep may end up getting $20m+/yr and as good a scrambler he is, he sucks throwing out of the pocket. I think you're living in a fantasy land where 2nd-tier QBs should be cheap. Shit, even 4th tier ones like Flynn got $7m.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Damn, Conte was just over in the Jared Allen thread. How'd get over here so fast. For a guy whose engendered so much "hatred" among Bears fans he sure does get a lot of press around here. :bah:

I'm gonna blame it on Kristin for not getting him immunized against injuries caused by accidental sackings. ;)
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    What can I say. I was born a Southsider and I'll die a Southsider but I'm not one who hates the Cubs. I keep hoping just like the die hard Cubbie fans do that some year Bartman won't be in the stands and that one September they'll be born into the World Series on the wings of Angels rather than ending up stoking the fires of hell after another swoon and losing a 10 game lead or something like that. I can't honestly believe they'll go another century without a pennant.
  18. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,298 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,809ß
    The Cubs are on the right path. For the first time that I can remember, they have an actual strong farm system filled with players who have a legit shot at being stars in the majors. Specifically Javier Baez. That kid is going to be a star, and that is not the Cubs fan in me saying it but scouts everywhere.

It is a hard life being a Cub fan, but I think they will win the World Series some day soon.

For the record, Bartman is not to blame for that game in 03'
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,365 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,361ß
    If the Cubs tank this year, I'll know that somehow it was Conte's fault :-)
  20. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,298 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,809ß
    So we aren't blaming Cutler or Obama for everything anymore?
    • Funny Funny x 1