Source: Bears to sign Jordan Palmer

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 16, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/9574532/chicago-bears-sign-jordan-palmer

Source: Bears to sign Jordan Palmer
    Updated: August 16, 2013, 3:08 PM ET ESPNChicago.com
    The Chicago Bears will sign quarterback Jordan Palmer, pending a physical, according to a league source.
    ESPNChicago.com Bears blog
    [​IMG] Get the latest from ESPN Chicago.
    Bears blog »
    Greatest Bears [​IMG] | Urlacher's career [​IMG]
    The Bears have a need for a third quarterback after Matt Blanchard fractured a knuckle on his non-throwing hand during a 33-28 victory over the San Diego Chargers on Thursday.
    Palmer, the brother of Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer, worked out for the Bears along with JaMarcus Russell and Trent Edwards in June. A sixth-round draft choice of the Washington Redskins in 2007, Palmer played three games with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2008 and one in 2010. He spent last season with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
    The signing was first reported by the NFL Network.
    An undrafted free agent in 2012, Blanchard, a native of Lake Zurich, Ill., spent 12 weeks last year on the practice squad. Blanchard had drawn praise from Trestman and offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer for his quick grasp of the offense, decision-making skills and his confidence.
    Blanchard completed 16 of 19 in two preseason games for 193 yards and an interception. Against the Panthers in the exhibition opener at Carolina, Blanchard scrambled four times for 26 yards.
    ESPNChicago.com's Jeff Dickerson and Michael C. Wright contributed to this report.

All reports were that the team had to get someone that could run a base O w/ so getting a guy like Palmer is no suprise, they needed someone to play the 3rd and 4th pre season games; and no way a guy w/a broken hand(even if it is his offhand) can do that. Hell, he cannot be worse them mccown, hope he lights everyone up and boots Mccown....wait nevermind, he's every bit as bad as Mccown is so no such luck.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    When I heard he was right-handed, I thought that maybe he could still start. Emery really needs to upgrade the OL personnel. The #1's look to almost decent now, but we have no depth. Our 3's againt other teams 3's just look horrible. We can't develop a QB if he can't stay healthy. I know the BU OL is not a top priority, but man, our guys seem to be real scrubs.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,205 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    577ß
    I think Palmer may be the only one of the three try out candidates eligible for the practice squad, which is why he was signed.
  4. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    He isnt eligble for the PS, according to Biggs.
  5. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Hopefully, Blanchard bounces back quickly. The injury could affect the way he takes snaps and clutches the ball, but I would think it's something he can easily adjust to and play through.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    I don't think he'll bounce back in the next two weeks though, sucks a good strong showing might have been good for him. JPalmer is definately not his brother by any shape way or form.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß

We had an OL who couldn't block playing. I don't see the issue with playing a QB that can't hold a ball.
  8. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Remember when we went into the 2005 season with Grossman as our QB and rookie Orton as his backup? There were no more QBs behind him before Grassman's injury.
  9. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    This guy ba-lows . Sheesh . Any chance we could get Jim Miller off the TV and whip his arse into shape ? LOL ( j/k)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    You seem to know each other :). Sorry... That was just too easy, LOL!!
  11. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    :pamela:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL Some you guys seem to think that you have All Pro QBs just sitting around out of work. What do you really expect to find out there in terms of a backup QB? We got teams in this league who don't even have a bonafide starting QB.
  13. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Had to sign somebody to keep McCown from having to play most of the snaps! Would think Blanchard could wrap the hand and be okay, but I'm not a doctor, even though I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :tempfall:
  14. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Because it's his left hand that's what I was thinking too. The problem is that we're not getting much news about it so I'm wondering if that's intentional? If Trestman wasn't planning on putting him on the 53 man roster if he's still listed as being injured maybe they feel there's a better chance of getting him through waivers. I'm just hoping they don't need to put him on the IR in order to protect him. He'll lose the whole year if that happens.
  15. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +918 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    926ß
    I'd rather sign Edwards or Russell than Palmer. Oh well, let's just hope Blanchard's gonna get well very soon.
  16. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Chad Hutchinson was the #2 until he threw a 0.0 QBR in the preseason following Grossman's injury. Orton was the #3 until that happened. What really showcased just how bad Angelo's ability to judge pro personnel was that Kurt Warner knocked on the Bears door asking for a job that offseason. They told him that he would be unable to compete with Grossman for the starting role, and that he would have to instead compete for the #2 spot against Hutchinson.

Warner signed a one year deal with the Cardinals for 2 million dollars that year.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    yeah... Angelo and Lovies business acumen was uncanny....