Source: Louisville S Pryor visits Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Apr 10, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,580 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/

Source: Louisville S Pryor visits Bears
    April, 10, 2014
    Apr 10
    4:37
    PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- Louisville safety Calvin Pryor made a recent pre-draft visit to the Chicago Bears, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

Pryor and Alabama's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix are the consensus top two safeties in the 2014 NFL draft class.

ESPN Draft Insider Todd McShay had Pryor going to the Arizona Cardinals at No. 20 overall in the first round in his latest mock draft. ESPN NFL Draft Insider Mel Kiper rates Pryor as the No. 1 safety in the entire draft class.

Pryor is known as a violent hitter in run support with above-average instincts who finished second on the Cardinals defense last year with 75 tackles. For his career at Louisville, Pryor had nine tackles for loss, eight forced fumbles and two sacks. He started 32 games and appeared in 38 over three seasons in college.

Pryor was suspended for one game in 2013 for breaking an undisclosed team rule, but he does not have the reputation as being a problem off the field or in the locker room.

The Bears, who hold the 14th overall selection in the first round, are clearly doing their homework on the best available safeties in the draft. Washington State safety Deone Bucannon visited Halas Hall the first week teams were allowed to host draft-eligible players at their respective facilities.

Even though the Bears signed free-agent safeties Ryan Mundy, M.D. Jennings and Danny McCray, and re-signed veteran Craig Steltz, the club could be looking to draft a difference-maker capable of cracking the starting lineup as a rookie. Last year's starting free safety, Chris Conte, will be sidelined until training camp after undergoing shoulder surgery March 26.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    At least the guy can tackle and has the instinct to be where he is supposed to be to make plays. They can tone him down a bit so Goodell doesn't have a hayday fining him. That's a better problem to have than some of our guys now who simply can't tackle to save their life.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I think this guy would be a great pick at 14. I give Dix a slight edge because of level of competition in college but Pryor is a very close 2nd.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,580 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    As much as I like a DT at 14, I'd prefer a S b/c it's these 2 and a wide gulf to the next several, and even a deeper wider gulf to the next FS. There is a gulf between the top 3 DT's, but I don't see near the distance as I do w/the S's.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    Right Ric about DT first since the defense starts in the trenches.

But if all the hotdogs are gone at DT and guys like Dix-Pryor-Ward are there we have to go with it.

As long as we get DT/Safety in the first two rounds.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,580 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Well there's that and our trenches are pretty stout right now, and our S's are pretty awfull.
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I do agree with that Ric. I think the difference between Dix and Ward, and Pryor and Buchannon is like the grand canyon. There are alot of those 2nd/3rd DTs that I like if we dont get Donald. Jernigan, Quarles, Hageman, Ferguson, other LSU DT, just a few examples off the top of my head. I do not think they will be able to preform like Donald would (except maybe Jernigan, but he prolly wont make it to 51) but if we did go safety in the first we have some good options that may surprise us.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    I agree.

I'm just so tired of the poor safety play year after year after year. Let's get the position fixed like they did with the OL last year. I'm confident the DL is going to be just fine this season, and we'll add a key piece there in the draft. But the safety play is a perennial abortion. Maybe Conte will come back and be a stud, but let's not bet the farm on that happening and suffer another bad year with the position. Let's get it fixed. I'd be thrilled if we draft either Ha Ha or Prior.
  9. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I simply do not see Emery drafting either Ha Ha OR Prior as they do not seem to fit what he's looking for. Donald may very well be gone and Hageman is better physically and more versatile than Jernigan. I see Emery finding a team who wants a QB and trading down slightly to grab Hageman and extra picks. Then again none of us know what is in Emery's head. Nobody thought Long last year and look what happened and how it turned out.
    ;-)
  10. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I'm not near as good at knowing what to watch for with DBs, WRs, etc as I am about in-the-box play. I mean there's the obvious things... quickness, play recognition, tackling, turning hips, etc. But I don't know jack about the finer points in technique. So whoever they think will develop into the better coverage guy is who I would want (if it has to be a safety). Run support safeties aren't nearly as rare as guys who cover well. It would give us a lot of scheme flexibility with a reliable safety playing 1 high.
  11. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    I wouldn't mind me some Pryor in the first.

• Like Like x 2
  12. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Highlights are just that but the fact remains that Prior, while good, does not possess the "Elite" coverage skills that Emery seems to look for. He wants a player with those skills and Prior would be a project. Not what you look for in a 1st round pick. Most of those hits would result in a flag in the NFL too. JMHO though.
  13. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Obviously they're highlights but at the same time better than any safeties highlights whom is currently on our roster. This draft is allegedly deep at the DL and thin at safety so I wouldn't mind getting a good safety in the first. Out of curiosity, when have we seen an example of what Emery likes to draft at safety? I can only recall Brandon Hardin and he doesn't scream elite coverage to me.
  14. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I'm simply going by Emery's statements. He says he wants physically dominant and versatile players and the scouting reports I have read (too many to post links) say that Pryor does NOT possess those "Elite" coverage skills. I'm not saying he isn't a big hitter because he IS a big hitter. However looking at those hits says that he will have to be taught how to modify those hits to avoid being flagged for them. Too many high hits for example. That puts him in the "Developmental Player" category and Emery has often stated that early round picks should be those who can come in and have a impact from day one. Not saying he will not be good but rather not a player Emery wants at #14. Maybe in a trade down situation though.
    Hardin had a history of getting stupid injuries and that reared it's ugly head last year. I don't see Emery making the same mistake with Pryor who tackles / hits the same way. Leading with your head as Prior does screams injury risk. Hardin was not a really early round pick if I recall correctly as well. That's all I'm sayin' and again it is simply MHO.
    ;-)
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    He's my co-num 1 choice with Donald. I will have no problems with either not preference. Throw Dix in there as well if he lasts but I kida doubt that. Can prolly start at SS and let conte and Mundy fight for FS.

I rather have a guy who hits too hard rather than can't tackle at all
    • Like Like x 2
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,580 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Ya seems like people are looking for a reason to ding a player when they say "he hits to hard" Ya I'm okay w/that, better then he doesn't hit or like to be physical.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I'm not saying that Pryor hits too hard. It's that his hard hits are too high for the most part and that screams injury and flags to me. That's all I'm sayin'.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,265 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,658ß
    Hell yeah
  19. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    This is Safety! I like him or Dix
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,472 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    FWIW (maybe not much), NFL.com is saying "it's pretty clear that Dix won't get past the Rams' 2nd pick at #13". That's a bummer cuz if you forced me to pick a safety at 14, Dix would the guy. Pryor is pretty much locked into the SS role, correct? I'll bet Conte is hoping for anyone other than Dix or maybe Ward in 2 so he still has a shot at the FS job.