Special Visitor at OTA'S Today

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, May 28, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    Another member of the SB team makes an appearance. Samurai returns.

The #Bears had a special visitor attend OTA practice today at Halas Hall. pic.twitter.com/EayYNOaFMm

12:47 PM - 28 May 2014Flag media
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,567ß
    Please tell me he kept his pants on
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    The coaching staff and players just continue to do everything right as it pertains to the Bears legacy and linking the past and the present.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,567ß
    Meh.

I would be fine if they separated themselves from the past. As a Bear fan I am kinda tired about hearing about the 1985 Bears. Before you bash me for that, I am tired of talking about them because they are are ONLY Super Bowl winning team. I want to talk about a winner from this century.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    Maybe now that they are welcomed to be around the players will be more committed to winning. Who wants to win and be blackballed.
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,567ß
    If they need a pep talk from someone from nearly 30 years ago to get "committed" I do not want them on my team.

They should want to win on their own.
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    Its not a Pep talk, its just being able to continue to support the team you gave your all for. Not having the Vets around was a terrible injustice in my opinion to what they meant to the city and what they accomplished. Yes, I think they should have won more but being kicked out to the streets was wrong.

I doubt the current players understand they were not welcomed, and if this is the only place they ever played they probably did not even think about it. Would not it have been nice if Urlacher would have been trying to help coach up Bostic last year rather than whining about poor me on TV. They do not need a pep talk, its just nice to know the family (Bear family) is all in with you and that includes the vets in my opinion.

Wasn't Dent around the year Rookie DE Mark Anderson got his 11 or 12 sacks. Not sure it was the same year but I think it was when Dent was allowed in to help the DE's. Next year he was not back an Anderson never came close to his rookie season. Much like the vets on the team the retired vets have a lot of knowledge to share as well. The game has changed over time and not sure how valid the 85 teams inputs would still be but little things would still hold true. There was a movie a while back I was watching and I remember the Vet telling the rookie to look at the knuckles of the linemen if they are white he has pressure on them to shoot forward, implying more than likely a run play rather than being in a stance to stand up and pass block. Thus I am sure there are little things the old guys could still help with, and for the rookies to see them in real life is probably very appreciated.

Hopefully Samurai gave Bostic some pointers. I guess he must not be coaching this year. Last yr he was with Frasier in Minn. Did not follow him this year I guess.
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,567ß
    Having old players around should not make them want to play harder. If they need a father like figure to hold their hand, they do not belong in the NFL

I doubt these players care much about those players. Most of them were not even alive when they won the Super Bowl.

Having vet players on the field while you play is vastly more important than having a long since retired one coming in to say hi.

Again.... see players they never saw play? Or saw play when they were at the end of their careers?

Sure, give pointers. But anyone with knowledge can do this. It does not have to be a former Bear.

These Bear players do not need to hear from former Chicago Bears to get "committed" to playing the game. They should be committed to winning without a legendary player from the team you play for coming in. Great gesture sure, but people put too much stock into it.
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,621 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,822ß
    I'm as sick of the 85 SB Bears as anyone Benj, but vet experience and information cannot do anything but help and I know he's a laughing stock, but the reality is he's a key reason the 49r's are back on the right path, and he might well have single handedly saved Davis's career, dude was a punk before Samuri called him out.
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,621 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,822ß
    That dude is still built as big as he ever was; how many of the roid monsters of the 90's and 00's can say that?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    So you believe the current players do not care about the history of the league or there team. Thats interest with all the HOF from the Bears and the fact that most of the rookies have a goal of being the best which is measured by the HOF I would say Wrong.

I agree pointers can come from anywhere but a HOF player giving pointers is always going to be received well. Many of these young guys will have the future opportunity to come back in the years to come and I think it is a great thing for the all the players involved as well as the fans and media. Only ones who lose are the restaurants where they probably still get free food. LOL

I would call it pride. You keep calling it a father figure or a pep talk or whatever but its pride in the history. The players will basically play hard, excluding PEP instances, but keeping the tradition alive is big. When the rookies report you always here there first impressions when they see the famous players on the wall in the hallway ( I guess its a hallway, never seen it personally). That sense is even greater when you see them in real life.

I could go round and round but not interested in bantering all night. Bottom line for me is I see lots of advantages to having the the old timers around. Both for the current players and for the older players getting there well overdue thanks from the organization.
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    Are you both really sick of the 85 Bears. I understand its been a long time and we need to get another SB and have another team to fondly remember but that does not make me sick of them. It is sad how long the drought has lasted though. Seems we are on the right track now atleast, not sure if we can climb to the top this year but if not we should be sitting well for the following year with a few additional key players.
  13. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I can't speak for anyone else but I'd venture to guess that many feel like me where they aren't sick of the 85 Bears themselves, just of talking about them.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,567ß
    Exactly.
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,567ß
    That is exactly what I am saying. These guys don't wanna be a part of the 85 legacy. They want to start their own. It is an insult to them to think they need to hear from the 85 team.

My point is it does not have to be a former Bear doing it. There is no added bonus to it being a former Bear or another legend.

My point is, again, people make such a big deal about these guys coming to talk to the Bears players. Like last year fans were celebrating that Ditka spoke to the team.... Seriously?

Get me away from the 85 Bears. Let these guys stand on their own. Last thing they want is to hear is "they won because they had the 85 Bears in camp"

That's BS. They don't need them there.

At all
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,567ß
    This all started with you saying
    They should not need them to be more committed to winning. They should not need them to come in to be commited at all.

Thats clown shit bro
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    I was being facetious. Being "Black Balled" for winning.

LOL,. This is why my teachers always told us to read the entire question before we answer.
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß
    Sorry Benj, everyone has their opinion, but I happen to disagree with your main premise that they guys today don't care or shouldn't care about the past of this franchise. Yes, it is up to them to build their own team and their own identity, but to suggest that the past success and history of the franchise has no meaning to them I think is a bit misguided.

Winning or losing can be contagious. If you play for a team that has a history of losing, it is very hard to change that dynamic. I can also say with personal experience that playing for a team with a high degree of success can provide motivation to go above and beyond what you think you can do. You can't tell me that some of these young kids, especially the rookies, don't get at least a little motivation from a HOF player hanging around to watch them. It helps them to envision a standard or personal motivation that may be a bit higher than it would otherwise. Even if this only occurs for a handful, isnt it worth it? What does it hurt?
    • Like Like x 2
  19. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Maybe Samurai Mike came to check out the guy who is wearing his number. It sure would be great if McClellin could do the number proud.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,280 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    230ß
    IIRC didn't Samurai get a gig working with the league? I think it's always a nice bump if a HOF comes in as well as a SB champ. Not just from the psyche standpoint but if there's an opportunity to LEARN from some of these guys weather it be mindset, technique, or strategy they should form a line.