Special Visitor at OTA'S Today

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, May 28, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Mike looks like he's still in shape to play. Sign him to a one year deal Phil.

You know we actually have been to a Super Bowl since 1985-86 so it isn't about those guys being the only Bears Super Bowl team. What it's about is that they are the greatest living examples of Chicago Bear dominance as a football team that we as fans can look to. They are the 1940's Monsters of the Midway reborn. The baddest defense that ever played the game coupled with a very good offense.

Maybe Benji's issues with them have more to do with the fact that he as probably still in diaper's when they were in their heyday. I wasn't so they're a big part of Bears history to me and the only NFL World Champs in my adult life so I'll hang on to that until the current bunch gives me another Super Bowl win.
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,570ß
    My main premise is that they should not need them to feel "more committed" to winning
  3. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,570ß
    I was out of diapers when I was five..... but most of these guys may not have even been born.

Don't get me wrong. I love that team. I am just done talking about a team that won something 30 years ago. That bragging card only goes so far, even for those who remember watching the game live.

But again, my main problem was his saying they might not be "more committed to winning" with him around.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß

There is a time and place for the 85 team discussion. That team DESTROYED the league that year. Yes, they are the metric used to determine a teams' greatness these days. However, it's been 30 years. Most of us remember it like it was yesterday (and why the fuck was Benj just out of diapers at 5 yrs old? That should have happened around the 1st-2nd year. lol).

What can the 85 guys bring to the team of today? Well, go watch the 85 team highlights. See what they had, how they played as a team. They were all pumped up in their own minds which allowed them to dominate collectively.

I honestly think if you put the 85 defense on other teams, they just don't perform. In fact when Mike Fuckin McCaskey did send half the team away, they didn't perform on their new team.

The physical play of the Bears was something special. How many of the 85 roster went on to coaching careers? Most of them did very well until they became head coaches. For the most part, they made their money coaching players at their positions. Shit, look at what Singletary did in Baltimore. Yeah he appeared to blow chunks in SF as the HC, but again, he coached the players up. He put SF on track.

I'd LOVE to have Mike Singletary as a position coach!!

So this visit isn't going to increase talent, or win us the SuperBowl. It might put some of the players minds in the right place. As we've seen, the team is becoming one, playing together more.

The 85 team did prove one thing. You can FLAT OUT HATE a team mate, but during game time, you are one team one fight.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    I think it is great that former bears visit the team.
  6. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    608ß
    I love the visit because it reminds everyone of the rich tradition (particularly on defense) of the organization. Plus, I know I would stand up a little straighter if Iron Mike walked in the room....pro or not, I'd expect that to be the case for everyone in the locker room.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,570ß
    I disagree that it would (or could, should) motivate them more... But it appears I am in the minority.
  8. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I'm married almost 25 years and have two upper teen kids, I'm in the minority in my own house every damn day.:smilebig:

I know how you feel.

The point you make is not a bad one, and I think for the vets, you are exactly right. However, for the younger guys, I assume his presence may have a bit more impact. I'm not suggesting it is huge either, and I don't suspect they can "learn" anything from him because any interaction they have is probably more social than professional, or simply one sentence guidance about playing in the pro's, which they can get from any vet. I just think his presence helps to bolster the necessary mentality of greatness to play at this level and may be "kinda cool" for the young guys if nothing else.

I'm also not suggesting that we continue to fawn or brag about a 30 year old team. That's not what this is about. It's simply a past HOF'er and Superbowl champ that has a great deal of admiration around Halas Hall (deserved) that came in to visit. The impact is neither great nor bad.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,570ß
    Have an impact sure.... But make them want it more? They should want to win as much as anything with or without him showing up. That's my main point
  10. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    608ß
    Never once did I use the word motivate. 4da's "have an impact" is what I was saying. All positive impact is, well, positive.

....and I would argue that motivation is needed for all athletes, pro or not. Why else would there be pregame speeches, movies on the plane ride to an away game, books handed out to players, etc., even if only to remind players of what's deep inside?
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,570ß
    Not you two.... BSBears said the would be "more comitted" because he was there
  12. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    He's probably still better than Bostic and Greene. I agree with Soul, sign him to a one-year deal. ;-)
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,052 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,776ß
    I love the fact that Singletary visited the team.

Keep in mind that no franchise in the nearly 100-year history of the NFL, has the rich history that we have. This is not like ANY other NFL team on the planet. When Mike Singletary visits the team, he represents (arguably) the greatest football team that ever played in that 100 year history of the league.

He's a Hall of Fame player too - and as such he is one of the greatest football players that ever lived. Ever. The elite of the elite. Fewer than 300 men have been elected to that Hall. Thirty of them were Chicago Bears. More than any other franchise in history. Can you imagine if Walter Payton, if he were still living, walked into your practice? Guys like Dick Butkus, Gale Sayers, Mike Ditka, George Halas - or any of the 30 HoF players from the Bears are "The Great Ones" and these Bears playing today would give their left nut to have a career like any one of them. Most of them are not fit to carry their jockstrap. So, having one of these guys walk into your practice and show that he cares about THIS present team - that's good stuff. It's a big deal.

One other point. Chicago reveres its sports heroes like no other city. You do good here, and the city NEVER forgets you. These guys are treated like kings until they die - and frankly long after they're dead. I think having a great one from the past visit the team helps impress upon these current players that they are now a part of something special. Something VERY special. I'm glad Singletary made the effort to visit our present team. Good for him.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    LOL, well I took a reasonable guess based on knowing you for all these years and I was close. You weren't still a bed wetter though were you? :rofl2: Sorry, couldn't resist. :peaceout:

I get what you're saying but some fans still talk about those Bears teams of the '40s too and I've been around enough Packer fans to know many of them still remember the golden years under Lombardi in the '60s when they dominated the league and reminisce about them. They've won SBs since but they've never been that dominant for that long. Same with the '80s Bears. Even with just one SB win they were still a dominant team for a very long time despite McMahon's injuries and how Mikey's ineptitude sabotaged them.

I don't know that this team is any less committed to winning than they were 30 years ago and having Singletary stop by was more than just a courtesy to an old Bears HOF'er. Does everyone know that he's working for the NFL now as a liaison to all 32 teams and not just the Bears? The reason for his visit may have had as much or more to do with that than it did to be a motivational incentive to this team although if that was a by product of it I can't see the harm anymore than any other former Bears player being invited to stop on by. I don't think they asked him to drop trou or anything. LOL
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,570ß
    I take things at face value BSBears.

You would be surprised how many meatballs say that same exact thing and actually mean it. So when I see people saying it, I take it they are a meatball who thinks stupid shit like that. Because there are people who do.
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    Glad I am not a meatball. Whew. :bouncesm:
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yep, there's at least two more that I can think of off the top of my head.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  19. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I happen to embrace my Meatballness.:smile:

I is who I is and I ainta changin for nobody.
    • Like Like x 2