Stock Watch

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Nov 19, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,984 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    999ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4688281/stock-watch-d-line-makes-big-impact

Stock Watch: Pass rush makes an impact
    November, 19, 2013
    Nov 19
    8:30
    AM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

RISING
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] 1. David Bass, DE: A seventh-round pick of the Raiders in 2013 out of Missouri Western State who was claimed by the Bears off waivers, Bass made the biggest play of his young professional career on Sunday, intercepting a Joe Flacco pass at the line of scrimmage and returning it 14 yards for a touchdown. Bass' pick-six changed the momentum of the game, and without it, the Bears likely don't crawl out of the 10-0 hole they dug for themselves before Sunday's lengthy weather delay. At 6-foot-4, 256 pounds, Bass isn't built like a prototypical 4-3 defensive end, but he's shown promise this season in six appearances. In addition to the interception, Bass finished the Baltimore game with four tackles and one tackle-for-loss. Expect Bass to keep himself in the mix at defensive end, especially with Shea McClellin dealing with a hamstring injury.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 2. Julius Peppers, DE: Peppers easily had his most productive game of the year with a season-high 11 tackles, 2.0 sacks and four tackles-for-loss in the 23-20 victory against Ravens. This proves that Peppers, 33, can still be a difference-maker. But these kinds of efforts from Peppers have been few and far between in 2013. Can the veteran defensive end string a bunch of these games together down the stretch as the Bears push for a postseason berth? The answer to that question is unknown. But with three sacks over the past three games, Peppers seems to be heating up at the right time for a Bears' defense ravaged by injuries.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 3. Robbie Gould, K: Gould's candid and confident demeanor can rub certain people in Chicago the wrong way, but his on-field results are indisputable. Gould was 3-for-3 on field-goal attempts on Sunday, this despite horrendous weather conditions at Soldier Field. But Gould has made a living navigating the treacherous winds of Chicago, and is 19-of-20 for the season. The most accurate kicker in franchise history and one of the most accurate in league history, Gould has now kicked 11 game-winning field goals with six of those in overtime.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 4. Josh McCown, QB: All McCown does is win games and run the offense. Whenever a quarterback protects the ball and doesn't turn it over, his team has a shot to win every week. McCown's 2013 numbers are remarkable: 61-of-101 passes completed for 754 yards, five touchdowns and zero interceptions. That's a 100.0 quarterback rating. Even if the good times don't last much longer for McCown, this has been one of the most unexpected and enjoyable stories that I've covered in quite some time. McCown always wins the news conference with his genuine, kind, intelligent and humble personality, but now he's winning important games for the Bears. McCown is 2-0. He runs the offense the correct way. There is no need for Jay Cutler to rush back from his high-ankle sprain. None.

FALLING
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] 1. Landon Cohen, DT: The Ravens were averaging 73 rushing yards per game entering Week 10, but Baltimore had plenty of success on the ground against the Bears. Ray Rice ran for 131 yards and one touchdown, and Baltimore finished the game with 174 rushing yards on 41 attempts. Baltimore found much of the running room up the gut of the Bears' defense, where Cohen played 59 snaps because nose tackle Stephen Paea (19 snaps) left the game early with a toe injury. Cohen hasn't been a bad addition, but Sunday wasn't his finest moment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 2. Brandon Marshall, WR: Marshall has been great for the Bears with a team-high 64 receptions for 828 yards and eight touchdowns, but he caught just four passes for 42 yards on 10 targets against the Ravens. Marshall more than carries his weight on offense, but he will occasionally drop catchable balls, as he did on Sunday when the wideout let a perfectly thrown pass from McCown slip through his fingers. In the rare instances when Marshall has been a non-factor for the Bears, he usually responds the following week by putting up big numbers. The smart money says Marshall finds the end zone multiple times in Week 12 when the Bears travel to St. Louis, and finishes the game as the club's leading receiver. History has shown us that Marshall generally finds a way to bounce back, regardless of the quarterback.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    While I agree that Brandon Marshall underperformed this last game, let's not start acting like the wide receivers weren't having to adjust for a few of McCowns' inaccurate passes, or that he threw a horrible jump ball to Marshall in the end zone. He's playing well, and like any quarterback, will have a few "off" passes, but ESPN isn't looking beyond the numbers in how they're judging McCown as a quarterback. To dumb it down a bit: McCown's playing very well, but you can't simply ignore his mistakes, if you want to fairly assess his play. To dumb it down even further: McCown plays well, but is getting overrated. To dumb it down to the worst possible level: McCown beat the packers! Did Jay Cutler do that this year?
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,984 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    999ß
    True that Henry, but he also flat dropped a ball that was right in his hands. This is the downside to BM that keeps him out of elite WR status like AJ Green and CJohnson, he has games like this and just drops way to many passes.

I also like how they pointed out that Cohen was in there for most of the snaps once Paea went out, The run D has been brutal all year, but we now have lost all of our starting and most of the backup interior DL and don't have the starting MLB or WILL to save them. that Rams RB is going to have a field day, and don't blame Tucker b/c there is nothing he could or can do to stop it.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    782ß
    My #1 hope for Cutler is that he learns this truth about football. If you give the ball away in multiple turnovers, with ints and fumbles, it just breaks your back. It doesn't matter if you have the strongest arm on planet earth - if you can't protect the football, you hurt your team - especially against the better teams. You may skate by against weaker opponents. But great teams in big games will beat you if you give away the ball.

I get so frustrated with Cutler. He has 1000 times the physical gifts that McCown has. Yet I feel more confident we'll win when McCown is our QB. I know that is nuts, but I know Josh won't self-destruct and cost us wins. But Jay Cutler has so many times. I hope he learns from watching McCown win.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    Marshall had a bad game, no use denying it. He dropped--flat out dropped--a key pass that would have converted a 3rd down late in the game. He also failed to catch a quick slant that would have been a TD. It wasn't a gimme but was one he should have come up with. It happens. He also makes great plays too.

I expect him to come back with a vengeance against the Rams
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    YEP.

And lose the happy feet, Jay. And don't throw the damn ball into tight windows over the middle from the 4 with a dozen hands packed in tight. Throw it away, throw it to the outside, take the FG, whatever. DON'T THROW A PICK FROM DEEP IN THE ENEMY'S RED ZONE. You cost us one, possibly two, wins doing that this year. Cut it out.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Casey Hampton....
    I know he is 36 years old
    I know no one else (other teams) have looked at him,

BUT He started all 16 games for a good Steelers Defense last year and did not leave the game injured.

He can do nothing for the pass rush but he could be a huge improvement in the run game, unless ofcourse he has eatten his way out of the game.

Paea is not going to be healthy this year Ratliff is still not practicing, we are at DEFCON zero DTs left.
    • Like Like x 1