Summary On Bears Moves To Date...............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 15, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +678 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    586ß
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    166ß
    I know others may be disappointed by I really like the Houston/Young signings. 2 up-and-coming players entering their prime years who didn't break the bank to acquire. We still need another DE, whether its Wootton or a draft pick. But it seems light years ahead of last year where we had an utterly ineffective Shea paired with an overpaid, declining Peppers.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    And I agree with you. If there was anyone who was captain of the "I'm not buying into Mel Tucker" crowd it was him. He didn't like the way Tucker schemed him and even alluded to that in one of his interviews during the season. Pep pretty much engineered his own way out of town and if Lovie didn't already have Gerald McCoy and had signed Michael Johnson then he might have taken him on but with them on board he didn't need to spend big money on Pep.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    I'd agree although the number for Wootton aren't correct. He had more than one sack and he was playing DT most of the year. Despite signing Houston and Young I'd still bring back Wootton. I think he's ready for another breakout year at DE.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    166ß
    That's the ideal scenario in my mind, pending him checking out medically of course. Woot is gonna be a post-draft signing wherever he goes cuz no one is gonna take a chance on him until they have more clarity on the injury/surgery status. And he should be inexpensive to boot.

The team kept 5 DEs last IIRC. Based on that it would be Houston, Young, Bass, Wootton and CornWash vs. a draft pick for the last spot. Loser to the practice squad. My best guess.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    Thanks MP. When Emery says he's not done I do think it includes those of his own he's like to keep and I would like to believe that Wootton, Bowman, and McManis are still on his list. All three are productive players and still young guys. You just know that he wants them for minimum vet deals or as close to that as he can get them for. Corey Graham was out there too and I don't know if anyone signed him.

Best I know no one has even given Wright a sniff yet. I'm sure someone with a need for an experienced SS will show up with a minimum offer eventually but he'll be signed only to compete for roster spot. No one is gonna hand him the keys to a starters job. After that showing last year it wouldn't shock me if he'd played his way right out of the NFL. Being the worst DB in all of pro football doesn't look good on a resume.

So Emery didn't bring in any big impact guys and we did lose, one albeit a fading one, but he did find guys who can play, have played for others, and have contributed. Some at higher levels than others but all have played NFL games and most have started a few so the quality of the depth and competition is much greater this year and we still have the draft and the June 1st cuts to go. These are players you can win games with.