Sun Times - Jon Bostic in comfort-zone defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dachuckster, Jun 7, 2014.

1. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Link

• Like Like x 1
  2. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

I'm hoping Reggie Herring can develop both Bostic and McClellin. Finding a way to exploit their talents. Both have the physical abilities to be really disruptive players.

3. okay

okay
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

Herring said his goal was to get Bostic “to tempo things and not just be fast all the time.”

This was Bostic's biggest problem last season, and IMO Shea struggled with it too. They are both very fast athletic guys who over-pursued a lot last season and ran themselves out of plays. I think having a quality coach like Herring there this season is going to make a big difference for these young LBers. And the fact that Tucker can coach HIS scheme the way HE wants and a way that suits the PLAYERS. Not going along with Lovie's Cover 2 anymore.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

I hope the defensive coaching changes have a similar impact on Khaseem Green and CornWash as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I agree dach, Bostic and Shea are the ones most are centering on, but Greene and Corny will hopefully grow also. And I REALLY hope Paul Pas can get Sutton and Ego up to speed.

6. BossK

BossK
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

THIS.

I have continued to believe that Bostic has the talent/potential to be a pretty damn good player. By moving the defense in a direction that he is more comfortable with, or that he can read more easily/naturally/intuitively, maybe we can get a player that no longer over-runs plays, or finds his rookie ass out of position. I get that you can't change the scheme for just one guy, but it sounds like several players will benefit from the style of hybrid defense that Mtuck is installing. Combined with a better front four, the LB corps should automatically look 100% better than it did last year, which will in turn put less pressure on the safeties.

Look out NFC. Monsters are coming.

• Like Like x 2
  7. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

I hope to see Bostic consistently play with the intensity that I saw (in flashes) in last year's preseason games. He could be a real beast.

8. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Two draft picks who were both major disappointments last year and bases on that seem to have a long way to go in their maturity as NFL player before they'll make the team again this year. Washington never even saw the field and it was only the injuries at LB that force Greene into service. Man he was bad.

I'm gonna accept that it was just very poor coaching that kept those two from developing. Based on where they were chosen in the draft they were developmental guys who needed a lot of work before they'd be ready to start and my guess is they got very little of that. The staff was preoccupied trying to save a sinking ship.

Given Washington's physical abilities I'd love to see the light come on for him. He could be a monster DE. Greene I'm less sure of. To me he didn't show the toughness that an NFL LB needs and that's often the case with converted DBs. His body may be over sized for a Safety but in his head he was still playing like one.

We need to be scoring with these draft picks especially on defense but IMHO these two are very suspect and it wouldn't shock me at all if one or the other or both didn't make the final cut.

9. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Yep, this is a must for Herring. Both have far too much talent to let slide. The first thing they need to do is find out what position suits each one of them best. Right now I'd say Bostic should be the guy to eventually replace Briggs at WLB and McClellin seems like a natural to be a SLB and a pass rusher but Bostic has proven that he can blitz too.

We could benefit by having one or the other show the basic talent to play MLB too. McClellin seems better suited for that but he has to be able to cover both from there and as a SLB if he expects to find a starting spot. Emery wants him on the field as much possible so I imagine they'll work hard to figure out how they can do that.

I think both are good enough football players that they'll begin to find their places this year.

10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I wouldn't call Greene and Washington major disappointments. What was Greene, a fourth rounder? And Washington was a sixth wasn't he? It'd be nice for them to contribute but I sure as hell wouldn't have expected anything out of them year 1. Washington even less than Greene. I've heard differing opinions on Greene, some say he looked decent. Even heard one report that someone thought he outplayed Anderson, and while Anderson isn't an all-star.. if Greene could end up better than him I'd be psyched with the pick. I hope he can be better, but I would have been more surprised if he played very well coming in as emergency relief as a rook. There's a reason he was a fourth rounder.

I'm not saying no worries at all, but I can't use last season as an indicator for a rook linebacker who wasn't supposed to see the field. I don't think Urlacher in his prime would have looked too hot behind that mess of a DL we had, let alone a pair of developmental rookies. More than anything I was surprised Washington didn't find the field at least a little bit more, with the rash of injuries that's more telling to me than Greene's play or Bostic's for that matter. But Bennett didn't see the field as a rookie either, didn't get involved at all and just spent the year learning.. and it's not like we had superb players in front of him at WR. My favorite DL example is Chris Long, one of the best DE's in football and he was a high pick and didn't start producing like expected until 3-4 years after he was drafted. I'll give Corny a pass and see what Paul P thinks and does with him. By the sound of it if someone can turn his raw talent into actual production, its our new DL coach.

• Like Like x 2