Sun Times - Jon Bostic in comfort-zone defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dachuckster, Jun 7, 2014.

1. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Link

• Like Like x 1
  2. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I'm hoping Reggie Herring can develop both Bostic and McClellin. Finding a way to exploit their talents. Both have the physical abilities to be really disruptive players.
  3. okay

okay Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Herring said his goal was to get Bostic “to tempo things and not just be fast all the time.”

This was Bostic's biggest problem last season, and IMO Shea struggled with it too. They are both very fast athletic guys who over-pursued a lot last season and ran themselves out of plays. I think having a quality coach like Herring there this season is going to make a big difference for these young LBers. And the fact that Tucker can coach HIS scheme the way HE wants and a way that suits the PLAYERS. Not going along with Lovie's Cover 2 anymore.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I hope the defensive coaching changes have a similar impact on Khaseem Green and CornWash as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    I agree dach, Bostic and Shea are the ones most are centering on, but Greene and Corny will hopefully grow also. And I REALLY hope Paul Pas can get Sutton and Ego up to speed.
  6. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß

THIS.

I have continued to believe that Bostic has the talent/potential to be a pretty damn good player. By moving the defense in a direction that he is more comfortable with, or that he can read more easily/naturally/intuitively, maybe we can get a player that no longer over-runs plays, or finds his rookie ass out of position. I get that you can't change the scheme for just one guy, but it sounds like several players will benefit from the style of hybrid defense that Mtuck is installing. Combined with a better front four, the LB corps should automatically look 100% better than it did last year, which will in turn put less pressure on the safeties.

Look out NFC. Monsters are coming.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I hope to see Bostic consistently play with the intensity that I saw (in flashes) in last year's preseason games. He could be a real beast.

8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Two draft picks who were both major disappointments last year and bases on that seem to have a long way to go in their maturity as NFL player before they'll make the team again this year. Washington never even saw the field and it was only the injuries at LB that force Greene into service. Man he was bad.

I'm gonna accept that it was just very poor coaching that kept those two from developing. Based on where they were chosen in the draft they were developmental guys who needed a lot of work before they'd be ready to start and my guess is they got very little of that. The staff was preoccupied trying to save a sinking ship.

Given Washington's physical abilities I'd love to see the light come on for him. He could be a monster DE. Greene I'm less sure of. To me he didn't show the toughness that an NFL LB needs and that's often the case with converted DBs. His body may be over sized for a Safety but in his head he was still playing like one.

We need to be scoring with these draft picks especially on defense but IMHO these two are very suspect and it wouldn't shock me at all if one or the other or both didn't make the final cut.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Yep, this is a must for Herring. Both have far too much talent to let slide. The first thing they need to do is find out what position suits each one of them best. Right now I'd say Bostic should be the guy to eventually replace Briggs at WLB and McClellin seems like a natural to be a SLB and a pass rusher but Bostic has proven that he can blitz too.

We could benefit by having one or the other show the basic talent to play MLB too. McClellin seems better suited for that but he has to be able to cover both from there and as a SLB if he expects to find a starting spot. Emery wants him on the field as much possible so I imagine they'll work hard to figure out how they can do that.

I think both are good enough football players that they'll begin to find their places this year.
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    I wouldn't call Greene and Washington major disappointments. What was Greene, a fourth rounder? And Washington was a sixth wasn't he? It'd be nice for them to contribute but I sure as hell wouldn't have expected anything out of them year 1. Washington even less than Greene. I've heard differing opinions on Greene, some say he looked decent. Even heard one report that someone thought he outplayed Anderson, and while Anderson isn't an all-star.. if Greene could end up better than him I'd be psyched with the pick. I hope he can be better, but I would have been more surprised if he played very well coming in as emergency relief as a rook. There's a reason he was a fourth rounder.

I'm not saying no worries at all, but I can't use last season as an indicator for a rook linebacker who wasn't supposed to see the field. I don't think Urlacher in his prime would have looked too hot behind that mess of a DL we had, let alone a pair of developmental rookies. More than anything I was surprised Washington didn't find the field at least a little bit more, with the rash of injuries that's more telling to me than Greene's play or Bostic's for that matter. But Bennett didn't see the field as a rookie either, didn't get involved at all and just spent the year learning.. and it's not like we had superb players in front of him at WR. My favorite DL example is Chris Long, one of the best DE's in football and he was a high pick and didn't start producing like expected until 3-4 years after he was drafted. I'll give Corny a pass and see what Paul P thinks and does with him. By the sound of it if someone can turn his raw talent into actual production, its our new DL coach.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    C Wash had a good combine and put up numbers similar to Clowney. I realize Clowney was a #1 pick but he only had 2 sacks last year. Some say he protected himself against injury to make the NFL. If thats the case he should have come out last year and not gone back to college. C Wash did not get all the hoopla in college that Clowney got, and I am waiting to see what Clowney does. One or two sacks last year makes me question how he was the #1 pick and all the so called experts calling him a can't miss prospect and the he can be the best ever. I personally believe he will be above average but not live up to his billing.

So if C. Wash never did it in College and had the work out warrior numbers then I have to wonder what we have in him as well. He was a 6th round pick as a DE which pretty much says he was drafted on potential, which is mostly related to his combine numbers. I would love to see C. Wash learn some moves from Allan, Young and Houston and succeed but I have my questions.

With the similarities between Clowney and C Wash. why is one off the charts and the other a 6th rounder. Obviously the 1 or 2 sacks Clowney had did not justify his status. I tend to believe somewhere in the middle of the road is where they both will end up. More intriguing still is the fact Clowney will be standing up potentially as a LB in a 3-4. If Clowney turns out to do as well as everyone believe hopefully C. Wash can emulate him as he has the same basic skills. Sounds like we have better coaching potentially in Coach P, and we definitely have better Vets to teach the ropes so if C. Wash and Clowney are similar in size and speed, combine drills, etc. then C. Wash was a steal or Clowney is way over-rated. My best guess is somewhere in the middle, only time will tell.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    BS, it comes in the 2-3 years of college before they declare also; and the level of competition they go against, and if the other team has to actually factor in the potential draftee or if it's the rest of the team they have to worry about.
  13. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    197ß
    I would love to see CornWash turn into a solid starter for us but like you, I am not even confident he will make the roster this year. He should still be eligable for the PS if he does show improvement. This will be very intersting to play out this year.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    I understand that, I am questioning how well Clowney will do at the next level as much as I am questioning how much C Wash will improve. They are so similar and both in the NFL now so both play top talent. So can C. Wash really become as good as they predict Clowney to be, or is Clowney on his way to being a bust compared to his projections. Or does it just come down to who has more heart and going to inflict their will on the opponent.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    At the end of the day that's what limits the Combine, b/c some guys are just better even though they are the same height/weight, lifted the same and ran the same 40, some guys are just better for some reason. Freeney is the size of Dumervil is smaller then SheMc but when he played DE for Denver he was a pass rushing beast. Demarcus Ware, again nearly identical size as SheMc, but again pass rushing monster.

Guys can have the same physical characteristics as other players but won't play anything like them.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Regardless of what someone said when I watched Greene he was bloody awful. I expect a rookie to struggle a little understanding the defensive concept when he's thrust into a starting role but at the very least I expect him to be able to execute the fundamentals he should have learned in college. He tackled far worse than either Wright or Conte and one of them is gone and half of Beardom wants Conte hung in effigy.

As for Washington he was given a roster spot and as horrid as that line played last year he couldn't even manage to get on the field. I'm really not comparing either of these guys to what I would have expected out of higher draft picks but at the very least I expected them to know how to play the game and IMHO neither of then did. In my book those two are already "on the bubble" before camp even begins.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. okay

okay Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Exactly...combine results need to be viewed in combination with game tape. Other things measured at the combine can be very important too - arm length, hand size, 3 cone. Not just 40 time and BP. And then coaching will play a big part in how a prospect develops too.

Corn Wash may have had some numbers similar or better than Clowney at the combine but there is no way he is as agile or fluid as the man. Pure physical freaks without much football ability aren't really that valuable or worth investing the time into unless they are HUGE men like Dontari Poe or Ngata.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +904 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    761ß
    There is so much that goes into playing that position that to sit and watch on your tv you really can't judge. However...if there is one thing Greene can do, it's tackle. He did it well in college. He did over run a lot of plays in college and that continued here. He needs to get stronger...and that will help a lot. As I have repeatedly said, improved d-line play will lead to better linebacker play. Like love and marriage you can't have one without the other.
  19. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Here is another article on the changes to the defense form the Daily Herald. Some of the same stuff as in the Sun Times article be some additional info as well

20. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +786 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    433ß
    Safety Dance???? I can't believe they threw a Men Without Hats reference in there. Pop Goes the World.