Sunday camp notes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 12, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    553ß
    Sorry didn't know they were practicing yesterday:

http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/08/11/bears-training-camp-notebook-august-11/a6doeno/
    Bears Training-Camp Notebook: August 11
    By KEVIN FISHBAIN - kfishbain@shawmedia.com - Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:59 p.m. CDT
    In addition to seeing a different look up front on the offensive line during Sunday's practice, we saw some players getting reps with different units because of injuries. Here's a look at the rest of the news and notes from the first practice back after Friday's preseason debut.
    Infirmary update: Earl Bennett was not present at practice. Trestman said he is still day-to-day after suffering a concussion, but that it is lingering. Julius Peppers returned to the field but was limited. Joe Anderson missed practice with a shoulder injury, Patrick Trahan was excused for personal reasons and Armando Allen injured his hamstring in practice. Corey Wootton was limited to individual drills. Harvey Unga, D.J. Williams, Patrick Mannelly, Jonathan Scott and Henry Melton were also all held out of practice because of injuries.
    Harvey Unga, D.J. Williams, Patrick Mannelly, Jonathan Scott and Henry Melton were also all held out of practice because of injuries.
    Moving on up: The injuries have allowed other players to move up a team to get reps. Undrafted rookie Damontre Hurst got work as a second-team nickel, Devin Aromashodu ran some plays with the first team as the No. 3 wide receiver and Cheta Ozougwu made some noise during a few snaps as a first-team defensive end.
    Record crowd: Officials at Olivet Nazarene University estimated a record of more than 15,000 Bears fans came out for the final weekend practice at training camp in Bourbonnais. That is over 3,000 more than the previous mark.
    Quick hits: General Manager Phil Emery kept a close eye on the trenches during pass-rush drills. ... Rookie Cornelious Washington received praise from coaches for stopping the run during team drills. ... The practice was at its usual up-tempo pace, but it was also louder in terms of the players making calls and checks at the line. ... Isaiah Frey collected yet another interception, this one on a tipped ball as the offense worked near the goal line. Jay Cutler rallied on the next two plays, though, throwing back-to-back touchdowns to Martellus Bennett. ... James Anderson almost made the play of camp, but he couldn't corral what would have been a one-handed interception on a pass intended for Bennett in the endzone.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    553ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/08/11/offense-starts-slow-behind-new-o-line/ak0b0b0/

Offense starts slow behind new O-line
    By KEVIN FISHBAIN - kfishbain@shawmedia.com - Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:21 p.m. CDT
    BOURBONNAIS — Marc Trestman joked after Sunday’s practice that maybe the second-team offense should start Monday's team drills with some run plays after Jay Cutler opened another session with an interception.
    It was part of some sloppy, and what Trestman called “sluggish” play early on, and the Bears' head coach was very vocal with his players to pick up the tempo and efficiency to start practice. Trestman did say he was pleased at how the offense improved after the slow start.
    The early interception came behind yet another new-look starting offensive line, which was the main story on Sunday. Rookies Jordan Mills and Kyle Long manned the right side at tackle and guard, respectively. The pair played the most snaps out of any player on Friday night.
    With the rookie Mills playing on the first team, J’Marcus Webb got demoted to second-team left tackle. Eben Britton played as the right tackle with the 2’s.
    “This has been part of our plan,” Trestman said. “We wanted to get Kyle in there to get some work with the 1’s, and Jordan as well. We need J’Marcus to get over there and work as a backup at the left tackle position. And we think Eben is in better position to back up on the right side and get some work there and keep it competitive.
    “I wouldn’t draw any conclusions about what’s happened today.”

Webb gave up nine sacks last year, per STATS Inc, and allowed a sack in Friday’s loss to Carolina.
    “I’ve got to work on using my feet and my hands, and work on getting better every day,” Webb said, adding that the coaching staff explained they wanted him to get work on the left side.
    The good news on the O-line is that left tackle Jermon Bushrod seems back at full health, and he did some extra work after practice, along with Britton.
    “It’s really part of our plan to find the best five over the course of training camp,” Trestman said. "We're not doing anything but working the plan at this point in time."

**I'm worried about 2 rookies playing on the right side....if that were to happen. I'm also worried about what is going on that Webb is back to LT, I heard Scott might need his knee scoped, and Britton looked just as bad as Webb.

Keep that 3rd grouping in your mind. I don't know that the competition is over by a long shot. I think if Mills or Long struggle at all you'll see another switch. Although the difference in competition from Carolina's DL and SD's is like going from the Bears DL to the Bears OL.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    553ß
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    553ß
    I heard this morning by either ZZ or Hub that the team does like how Long and Mills have a level of nasty that, even if they screw up they know they'll both continue to fight....the group on 670 questioned if Webb had that.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    553ß
    Something I think we are all missing, regardless if Long makes an impact or not, the rest of the Rookie class look like they will w/out question. Frey, Greene, Bostic all look like they are NFL ready, and Washington looks like he'll be able to get some quality time in also. If Long and Mills can go in and contribute also.....now that's a hell of a draft, and something the team didn't get last year, or hell in very few of JAs drafts.
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,214 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    What? No Tackle in the league can attack a Quarter-pounder with cheese better than Webb can.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Bennett could be on the verge of having to end his career because of injuries (concussions). I have always liked him, but he needs to think about his life going forward.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    553ß
    According to ZZ talking 670 the score, Cutler did in fact throw to the wrong shoulder of Jeffery. Jeffery was supposed to stop and reverse the route and Cutler was to throw to the opposite shoulder.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    553ß
    Mills looked good in practice.
  10. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +666 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    I agree, and this had to be one of my least favorite drafts in awhile. Shows you how good I am at scouting college talent.:)

I think the reason I doubted this draft so much was that regardless of round, there were at least one or two guys still there that I would have preferred. That doesn't necessarily mean either draft (mine or the Bears) was better or worse, just different. Ultimately it doesn't matter; if we get players, then all is good.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    553ß
    Long, bad pick but the rest I thought was pretty solid....and the draft I thought got better as it went along.
  12. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wasn't Frey drafted in the same draft as Shea and Jeffrey?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    553ß
    Frey: NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 6 / Pick: 184

Yep, sorry kept hearing someone refer to him as a rookie.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Yep, Frey was in the 2012 draft (6th rd). He's a 2nd yr player after a season on the PS. Be nice for that draft if he shines this year since Rodriguez is gone, Hardin has disappeared, and Shea doesn't look 1st round worthy I'm afraid to say.
  15. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +666 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    I'm starting to fear the same thing about Shea; let's hope as the season moves along he proves us both wrong. I've been in his corner, but I'm about ready to take a seat. I'm not sure that he's a bad football player, but I am beginning to think that he has been badly mis-cast in this Defense.
  16. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It's been one year. Chris Long (a number 2 overall pick) didn't pick up steam in the sack numbers until a few years down the road. I'm a bit worried that he hasn't bulked up as much as we would like, but it's still only been one year and one preseason game.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    553ß
    I'm not worried about Shea b/c, unless an inj occurs which forces a change, I don't think he'll be in very often as a traditional pass rushing DE...mainly b/c he's too small/not strong enough to do it. I mean the dude got beat up by Mills today in Practice and he was a complete non factor in the Carolina game.

But I don't think you'll see him in that role come reg season. I think you'll see him as a rover.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I agree, Ric, and hope your prediction is right. He could do good work for us as a rover esp against mobile QBs or read-option plays.
  19. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You know I just read a few days ago...I think it was the Tribune...that Shea is in the high 240lbs. I am not getting this pick at all and how this joker even fits in anymore. The more that comes out about him the more its evident that he is a failure as a #1.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    553ß
    MrD, glad to see you back, now stop acting like a fool and keep w/the solid posts.

Ya he gained about 15-20 lbs in the offseason but it slowed him down to much(which was what worried me when I heard it) and he had to drop it back off b/c he still wasn't strong enough to handle the big OL bodies. It's a special kind of freak that is both small, fast and strong, and Shea never fit that bill, he was all speed and that just doesn't work on talented OT's in the NFL, they'll maul a 1 trick pony, like Shea.

I might well be wrong about the Long pick, but my problem was never what he would become but how good he would be this year and if he was worth taking that high, but Shea is what he is, and he was flat bad pick, he's a OLB for a 3-4, which is what every team had him pinned as, not a damn one team wanted him as a 4-3 DE...and that is what scared me about Emery he seems to think he's smarter then the rest of the GM's, he doubled down this year over reaching for Long to. Next year I really hope he just goes w/the BPA in the first b/c that's what he does in the rest of the draft and more often then not nails it; if he starts doing that in round 1, I could easily see that guy being one of the best GM's in the league.