Survivalist Fears the Moon

Discussion in 'Anything But Football' started by Clark Street, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Clark Street

Clark Street Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Another survivalist makes a fool of himself regarding danger from the Moon:

His lunar misunderstandings and conclusions are phenomenal. He misreads the chart of Full Moon ecliptical longitudes (expressed in astrological format) as though they were ecliptical latitudes. He seems to think the ecliptic is the same as the celestial equator, since he cannot understand how the ecliptic veers toward the south between the autumnal equinox point and the winter solstice point. So he does not realize that a waxing crescent Moon at this time of year appears significantly further toward the south (left) each evening. The current point in the 18.6-year nodal cycle enhances the effect.

My lunar webpage contains preview images of the waxing crescent Moon over the next few days:

Of course if the Moon actually veered from its predicted course, professional and amateur astronomers all over the world would be trumpeting the fact. That's not to mention that the Moon generates no significant amount of radiation. Unfortunately the survivalist cult will grasp at any flawed straws to spread fear and get folks to buy unnecessary protection.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  2. matsellah

matsellah Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,261 / 7 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +895 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    187ß
    What is with the constant linking to your site, Clark Street? We don't allow spam ads, so I deleted your link.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Clark Street

Clark Street Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Sorry, Bearstuff. I put a considerable amount of time and energy into creating graphics that people find interesting and can be viewed for free. The few ads on my website generate about $5 a year in commissions, which hardly makes my efforts worthwhile from a monetary standpoint. Nevertheless, those ads are for products or services that I have purchased myself and I think may interest my website visitors. At my age (67) I simply like sharing what I have learned with other people, and much of that can be done through my ability to create computer graphics.
  5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +895 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    187ß
    I understand the desire to share your work, however, every single post of yours has had a link to your site. I've removed some of those links and sent a warning to you via PM, but never heard back. I won't discuss this publically again.

I haven't removed your link from your profile page, and I have no issue with you mentioning your site as long as you let folks find it naturally.

Rules are rules. There are usually circumstances that test the boundaries of rules, but after about 10 years of this site's existence - we haven't found a circumstance that makes hot linking equitable for Dabears.com. It always has proven to be a detriment overall. Not trying to be a jerk, just explaining.
  6. Clark Street

Clark Street Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I understand, Bearstuff, and will abide by your rules. I did not notice your private message until today, and left an agreeing response a short while ago. Actually, three of my eight threads did not contain a link to my website. But I understand your believing that five is too many. When the official Bears website had a fan forum, I would post links to my Bears schedule wallpapers shortly before each season began. They had no problem with that. Forum members replied to indicate their great appreciation. I was continuing the practice here. Then due to my interest in astronomy and some recent astronomical news, I posted links to my related graphics. I occasionally did that on at the official Bears forum and always received praise. Sorry if that seems inappropriate here. I realize that you are trying to properly perform your duty. Therefore, I shall refrain from posting any more links to my website.