Sutton highly decorated in college

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, May 10, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    992ß
    [​IMG]
    LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears doubled down on defensive tackles Friday, using their third-round pick, No. 82 overall, to select Arizona State’s Will Sutton, just a round after acquiring LSU’s Ego Ferguson at No. 51. While critics lambasted Ferguson pick in the second round because of his relatively limited body of work at LSU, Sutton comes to Chicago with a long resume of solid production. A three-year starter, Sutton racked up 45.

Continue reading...
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    As far as Ferguson is concerned if Hagemen is a project then this kid is a project plus. I think Uncle Phil gets way too enamored of these SEC guys. Ferguson was NOT a dominant enough player at LSU to be ranked as a 2nd round pick. In fact, of the two DTs I believe Sutton will prove to be the better pick.

Until last season Sutton's body of work was impressive and if he'd not been advised to add weight and continued to play at 285-290lbs I think he may well have been right up there with Donald as a 1st round pick. So the challenge with him is to make sure he plays as close to 290lbs as he can and let him penetrate and disrupt like he did in college. He's capable of playing a similar style game to what Donald can do and he could have a very productive pro career.

From listening to his pre-draft interview I can tell that he's an intelligent kid with good football knowledge and instincts. I like these kids whose Dad's have played in the NFL. They seem to have a step up as far as being prepared for the transition from college to the pros.
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Shh, Jarron Gilbert's dad is listening.
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß

Who was Jarron Gilbert's dad? The guy who built the swimming pool?

Sutton impressed me as very sharp well spoken kid. He knows the game and he also knows the players like John Randle and Warren Sapp that he has to model his game after. If they can keep his weight in check and get him channeling players like those two he'll be a steal as a 3rd rounder.
  5. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Soul, you keep mentioning his weight like he has had issues controlling it. But, it sounds like he simply gained when he was advised to. So, I don't think maintaining his weight is an issue at all.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    Soul needs to keep his version of the story and the truth, or else he'll have to say he was wrong....don't mind him.

Sutton is already down to 290, I don't think it will be an issue ofr him at all.