Tackling

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearstuff, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +609 / 2 / -1
    ......we should try it.

I'm always bothered by today's lack of tackling fundamentals. I'm sure there are lots of reasons, but I still don't understand why we can't do it.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    My thoughts exactly. The defense looked too sloppy.
  3. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    They definitely looked sloppy. But the Bengals have some big boys at receiver/TE. Looked like our guys were just kind of bouncing off of them at times.
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +375 / 0 / -0
    That's definitely something that needs to improve. Maybe because they don't do it in practice which I believe does hurt your fundamentals. BUT you have to avoid injury so I understand the double edge sword in practicing tackling too much.
  5. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    Their receivers are HUGE. AJ Green is like Brandon Marshall x 2. Eifert and the other TE (Gresham?) were big too. They are pretty good.

The Bengals are an underrated team. They moved the ball on our D nicely for long 80+ TD drives.
  6. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +392 / 0 / -0
    Briggs was terrible tackling today. Let at least three guys slip out of his grasp.
  7. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    DJ Williams also could have had a Pick 6.
  8. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking about this. If I recall correctly didn't the new CBA restrict the amount of practice time and pad time and tackling during off season practices? It is my understanding that the only way to practice tackling is to actually tackle. If this is so, then the new CBA may have limited the ability of defenses to practice tackling. This would explain not just the Bears, but also how other teams are having trouble with this in the first week of the regular season.
  9. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +847 / 0 / -0
    They weren't really hitting hard out there at all today but they got the job done. The defense didn't seem to be playing with the same intensity or the same confidence they have in the past and I thought the pass rush sucked. Maybe they miss Urlacher's leadership more than we thought.
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,355 / 8 / -0
    Its not the first time either. Briggs is a smart player, but he has always had issues with tackling.
  11. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I was talking to this with a mate earlier, it looked like they were more concerned with try to make the highlight reel with every tackle, going for big hits rather than form tackling. Thankfully, people general don't make it into the elite levels of profootball without having good fundamentals which means it should really be a fairly easy issue to rectify through the week.
  12. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +609 / 2 / -1
    Practice using tackling dummies. No one gets injured and you learn to wrap up.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ZifanQ

ZifanQ SuperFan

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Just my thoughts! They had a really hard time getting the TE's tackled and I thought: "mmm is this normal or are the Bears just bad a getting the TE tackled?" They broke the tackles like if it was a slim guy like me trying to tackle.

Bring in Davis so they have a TE to pratice tackling on!
  14. phatdude

phatdude

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I posted in the "Peppers" thread that I think a lot of this has to do with our primary D get's no real action until this first game. Pre-season doesn't allow them any real action, so it is like they are coming off summer break.

However a part of me is worried. Rod Marinelli I don't think would stand for this. Not only did he enforce the rule "stay with the ball to the play is over" he also was a champ of "not only tackle, but strip the ball too". The Bears last year record shows this. I'm worried that with all the focus on offense, that there is a little neglect on Defense.

I just don't remember our D letting ball carriers slip through this much last year. Even bouncing off guys.
  15. ZifanQ

ZifanQ SuperFan

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    I think this will only apply to the new guys since old guys like Briggs, Tilman aka The ballhawk and Jennings seem to have it in their nature. You saw it last night they were trying to get the balls and they did get one turnover on a FF and we could have had two if Jennings/Tilman didn't kick it over the sideline(Can't remember which one did it)

Ofcause the focus will be on offense since we are having loads of good players on offense and there will probably be a bit of neglect on the defense. New DC and two new LB's but that's pretty much it. Yesterday wasn't a top performance by any means but I think it will be better. The neglect shouldn't be that high imo.
  16. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute

Ratings:
    +1,256 / 4 / -2
    I'm baffled by this too, and it's not just us, it's league wide. I can't believe the number of NFL players that don't know how to properly tackle. I learned that shit at 8 years old in my first tackle league. Hit low (approx waiste area) and wrap up around the legs.
  17. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    Outside of the obvious tackling issues and lack of pressure from the front four, there were a couple things that stood out to me on D.

Briggs didn't seem ( I use the word "seem" here because we just don't know what actually transpired ) very good at calling assignments and adjusting the D, yesterday.
    There were a lot of times where Dalton and their OL are pointing out protection and zone reads while Lance was standing silent or minimally vocal. It may be harsh to compare him to Urls, who was one of the most vocal and intuitively instructional D players I've ever seen (basically a Manning-esque D QB) , but I need to see Lance mimic Brian by stepping up into the QBs face one in a while as he's shouting out his audibles to get in his head.

Also, DJ Williams was an absolute disaster against the run. He got pulled out of position and lost gap control early and often.